PDA

View Full Version : Burgess #83 flat top

Vic P
Nov-02-2015, 8:28pm
I read on the big muddy Facebook page that Mike Dulak has stopped building mandolins indefinitely while his son recovers from an accident. Does anyone know if he keeps an inventory or if the instruments are custom built only. Which leads me to my second question..does anyone know anything about the Burgess #83 flat top. I havent been able to find any information or reviews on them at all. They are available on E Bay for $329.00. Would it be a decent alternative to the Big Muddy?

George R. Lane
Nov-02-2015, 9:02pm
His website states he is back to work.

multidon
Nov-03-2015, 8:04am
Never saw or played one, but judging simply by the pictures, the fit and finish of the Burgess instruments looks a bit crude to my eyes. He also uses seemingly odd combinations of wood, sometimes 5 or 6 different species on the same instrument, in combinations that look odd or not coordinated at least. Maybe they sound good, I don't know, but I find the look off putting.

Big Muddy instruments, by contrast, have great fit and finish and a simple, refined, classy look.

Johannes Oksanen
Nov-03-2015, 10:02am
I asked about Burgess a couple of weeks ago: Nobody has tested them but everyone hate them.
I was suspicious too and ended up to order a weber.

allenhopkins
Nov-03-2015, 7:54pm
...Nobody has tested them but everyone hate[s] them...

That says something about us on the CafeŽ-- not quite sure what...