PDA

View Full Version : Possible 1960's Gibson F5?

VaughanKerns
Oct-20-2015, 9:55pm
I am trying to identify the Gibson F5 in the photos below. The serial number (682683) is stamped on the back of the peghead and on an oval sticker inside. I think its from the late 60's but I'm not sure.

The fretboard and the tuners have been replaced and it has some issues with the binding. At this point, I am unsure of how much work it will need to bring it back to what it deserves. I'm thinking of making an offer on it and I was wondering a ballpark price of what it would be worth. Thanks for the help!

13990113990213990313990413990513990613990713990813 9909

Spruce
Oct-20-2015, 10:08pm
I'm thinking of making an offer on it...

Why??

Jim Hilburn
Oct-20-2015, 10:37pm
All the signs of being a 70s f5. You say the fingerboard has been replaced which makes sense because it would have had the gaudy fancy inlayed board originally.
These are not very sought after.

Andy B
Oct-20-2015, 10:38pm
That looks like it might be a 70's F5. I seem to recall the asking price on these as around $3,000-$3,500 in good condition. From the photos, this one seems a little rough cosmetically, so a reasonable offer on it might be somewhat less. It's still hanging in there after 40+ years, so it's got that going for it. I like the way it looks; the back grain is very three dimensional. I have seen negative comments about the tone of the 70's F5s, but I have heard and played some that I thought sounded pretty good. You can decide whether to make an offer if you like the tone and it is structurally sound.

f5loar
Oct-20-2015, 10:57pm
That looks like it might be a 70's F5. I seem to recall the asking price on these as around $3,000-$3,500.....
There is no might or if's or but's about this one. The serial no. clearly puts it in early 70's. From my records I put it at 1972. The fingerboard was replaced. The tuners are original. The bridge is not original. It's got the rotting binding typical of the 70's. One in this condition I can't see over $2000 and more like $1500.

almeriastrings
Oct-20-2015, 11:01pm
For $2K you could buy a nice mandolin instead.

Jeff Mando
Oct-20-2015, 11:57pm
I'm thinking of making an offer on it and I was wondering a ballpark price of what it would be worth.

I guess if you like it, it depends on what the seller/store thinks it's worth. Usually "vintage Gibson" translates to big bucks in the eyes of most shops. I think the binding would turn off about 99 percent of potential buyers -- maybe the seller feels the same way. It would cost a lot to get replaced and not everybody could do an invisible job. The store owner knows this. The pickguard is missing. Does it have the original case? If not, these are factors that can be used for negotiating the price downward, along with the replaced fingerboard. I agree the back is pretty. Tough call on this one. If it said anything besides Gibson it would be $200 in that condition.....I guess I'm cheap, but sometimes my tactics work....If he says $2000, I'd offer $800 and see if he throws you out of the shop....if he doesn't, that means he is considering it. Anyway, sometimes ya gotta throw the price guide out the window. If it is a consignment, he probably can't negotiate much. Keep in mind, unless you fix the binding it will be hard to resell for any money down the road.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-21-2015, 3:34am
Before deciding whether to make an offer on this one,i'd really have to play it to decide if all the work & cost required to bring it up to scratch was going to be worth it.You could put a lot of cash into it to end up with something pretty mediocre. From what i've read on here,this period wasn't the best for Gibson Mandolins,however,there could be a few exceptions,
Ivan

Spruce
Oct-21-2015, 4:03am
From what i've read on here,this period wasn't the best for Gibson Mandolins,however,there could be a few exceptions...

...I seriously doubt that...

MikeEdgerton
Oct-21-2015, 5:55am
This instrument looks familiar but then again I'm sure we've seen 70's F5's with rotting binding before.

VaughanKerns
Oct-21-2015, 7:39am
Thank you for the help everyone! It's on consignment at the shop and they are asking $3k. I thought the price was a bit high so I'm glad I asked!

Willie Poole
Oct-21-2015, 8:30am
Ahhh, That word "Gibson" really makes people think....I have seen a few (2) that were regraduated and did sound pretty nice but those were exceptions...

Willie

Spruce
Oct-21-2015, 8:35am
This instrument looks familiar but then again I'm sure we've seen 70's F5's with rotting binding before.

:)

...and they are asking $3k.

I wouldn't give more than 500 bucks for it considering the condition it's in, and what it is...
Seriously...

This pic sums up the whole attitude at Gibson during this period.
"This kinda matches"...
Sigh.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/e_stamp/IMG_4201_zpssrynwrtq.jpg (http://s231.photobucket.com/user/e_stamp/media/IMG_4201_zpssrynwrtq.jpg.html)

The thing is probably the biggest white elephant in the whole wide mandolin world...

MikeEdgerton
Oct-21-2015, 8:49am
For those that might want to know more about binding rot, here (https://www.google.com/search?q=rotting+binding+site%3Amandolincafe.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=%22binding+rot%22+site:mandolincafe.com) are some previous discussions

Ken Waltham
Oct-21-2015, 12:03pm
I am not going to mince words here, because I do not want to see you get saddled with such an instrument. This is a serious piece of junk, and should be avoided at any price. I wouldn't pay $200.00 for it, it has no use whatsoever as a mandolin.

Spruce
Oct-21-2015, 1:10pm
Ok, 100.00... ;)

MikeEdgerton
Oct-21-2015, 1:18pm
A bargain at $100.00, put it on eBay at $200.00 Buy It Now and you'll double your money! :cool:

Danny Clark
Oct-21-2015, 1:24pm
I will buy all I can for $500 or less
true they usually sound horriable ,however I did have one (1976) that sounded really good
I much rather have a Gibson F-9 or F-5G for about the same money

DataNick
Oct-21-2015, 6:25pm
Re: the 70s' vintage Gibson mandolins that were produced, this is from the comments section at the end of The F-5L Mandolin - A turning point in the history of Gibson's acoustic string instruments (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001217.shtml) that Roger Siminoff authored.

In regards to the 3 Mandolin "makers" (Gibson job title) that worked on the F5L project, Aaron Cowles, Wilbur Fuller and Dick Doan:

Bill Junior May 27, 2010 08:12 AM
Within the last year, I talked to Aaron Cowles about his 1978 F5L mandolin...During the discussion about building the instrument, Aaron also mentioned the fact that none of the three mandolin luthiers there at Gibson in 1978 knew anything about tap tuning an instrument. It was Roger Siminoff that re-introduced that technique to the Gibson culture.

Any questions now on why the quality is so "spotty" to downright bad on these...

f5loar
Oct-22-2015, 11:01pm
Once these start the binding rot, it's going to get worse. Fixing that problem would be costly. Without original fingerboard also takes away from the value. Worth $200 to hang it on the wall as a decoration. Just sayin'

jim simpson
Oct-23-2015, 10:43am
It's extremely difficult to not only remove rotting binding but to also rebind without disturbing the finish. Not something I look forward to doing again.

Spencer
Oct-23-2015, 11:12am
I had one of these, looks like the back came from the same piece of wood. The figure on the back was its only redeeming quality. I suggest you find something else.

Spencer

Fretbear
Oct-23-2015, 11:20am
Run Forrest, run.........!