PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Cafe Music Collaboration

Isaac Revard
Oct-18-2015, 6:33pm
Hey everyone I thought this might be an awesome idea! Is anyone interested in some music collaboration for fun?

I found this site bandhub.com, you can create a free account and begin to collaborate easily from across the world via the internet.

I also thought we, if there is some interest, could do something like this once a month or so. Pick a tune collectively and create something for fun.

I'm open to suggestions or whatever input anyone else might have. For example, I found bandhub.com, but do you know of better sites to do this on? This one seemed very user friendly.

I've already made a backup track for Shady Grove (just some chops) on bandhub. Search for: Shady Grove Mandolin Cafe Collab and you'll find it.

If we get some good interest we could do a group like the song-a-week.

Let me know what you all think.

ccravens
Oct-18-2015, 6:43pm
Sounds like an awesome idea!

hattio
Oct-18-2015, 8:21pm
What about writing a tune collaboratively? Most fiddle tunes tend to have four phrases in the A part and four in the B part (with the first and third in each part being the same or similar). We could pick six people (or eight if you decided not to have third phrase a repeat of the first) and have each write a section

ccravens
Oct-20-2015, 8:43am
Zeek - sorry about the lack of interest in collaborating in playing music. I don't have anything for "Shady Grove" but this would be something that I'd be interested in for sure for other songs.

I've seen other ideas/threads like this one about playing together or collaborating on music die a slow death on here as well.

Maybe placing this thread in a different part/area of the forum might get more interest? This area of the forum seems more about people talking about mandos than playing/collaborating?

The song-of-the-week social club seems to have many active players/participants in it.

colorado_al
Oct-20-2015, 5:44pm
Looks cool!

colorado_al
Nov-17-2015, 5:11pm
I recorded some tunes at bandhub. Works ok. Sound is good, but video seems to be out of sync on some of my stuff.
Anyhow, check it out here:
http://bandhub.com/Colorado_Al

I tried to record at a medium tempo so that other people could add tracks easily. I also tried to play these pieces with easy changes and no passing chords.
If anyone wants to add bass or guitar tracks, that would be great. And if you want to take one of the solos, let's hear it!
Hope you enjoy!
Al

Isaac Revard
Nov-17-2015, 5:19pm
I recorded some tunes at bandhub. Works ok. Sound is good, but video seems to be out of sync on some of my stuff.
Anyhow, check it out here:
http://bandhub.com/Colorado_Al

I tried to record at a medium tempo so that other people could add tracks easily. I also tried to play these pieces with easy changes and no passing chords.
If anyone wants to add bass or guitar tracks, that would be great. And if you want to take one of the solos, let's hear it!
Hope you enjoy!
Al

neat-o
I'll be checking these out over the next couple of days. I'm working on getting a decent microphone for my computer so I can add some tracks with better audio quality.

Steve VandeWater
Nov-18-2015, 1:42pm
Hey Zeek, bandhub sounds really cool. I have a few simple tunes I've written but, I only pick and can't play chords chords so they sound very thin. I'd love to hear how they'd sound with added instruments, and with someone who could actually play.

Barry Wilson
Nov-20-2015, 10:57am
Cool site. Looks like it could be a fun diversion

colorado_al
Nov-20-2015, 11:28am
neat-o
I'll be checking these out over the next couple of days. I'm working on getting a decent microphone for my computer so I can add some tracks with better audio quality.

I use the CAD U37 USB condenser to record. The files you hear in my bandhub page are straight, with no effects at all. $45 on amazon. Surprisingly good for the money.
http://smile.amazon.com/CAD-U37-Condenser-Recording-Microphone/dp/B001AIQGUO

I have heard that this $25 USB condenser is also quite good, especially for the money, but I've never tried it:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01142EPO4

I also have a better condenser that I sometimes use, but way more money and more complicated to use with my computer.