PDA

View Full Version : Which Mandolin to learn on ?

fred_zeppelin
Apr-27-2005, 1:03pm
Hi Im a guitarist whos interested in learning a bit of mandolin for a change. My plans realy just to pick out a few bits n pieces for fun now and again. So I'm lookin for something cheap and second hand. I've been checking out ebay and have seebn that Celtic style mandos are generaly cheaper than As or Fs and am therefore considering getting one since with limmeted money I should get better quality (right?). Apart than the fact that they look different (ie no f holes) are there any other differences ? Is there any reason why I should chose an A instead ? I am generaly thinking of trying to learn the odd Led Zeppelin / Waterboys / Oysterband song (I've seen that these groups use A or F mandolins - is there a reason for this ? )

Thanks for the advice

Fred

Pen
Apr-27-2005, 1:52pm
First I would recommend hitting a couple music stores or pawn shops and playing a variety of instruments to find out what YOU like. If you are going to be happy with a beater mando - there's likely a bunch that you can grab for under $100.00.

For me - I was happy with my A-Style Kentucky. It didn't sound that good - but the action was really good. As a learning mando - it was great. Once you find a mando you like - do a search in classified's here - or ask for a particular make/model in classifieds. You'll find it.

Glad to see you picking up this fun instrument. Just realize - there is a very good chance you may not touch your guitar again!

mandomadman
Apr-27-2005, 1:58pm
Fred,Warning once you learn how to play mando your guitars may get mighty lonely.If you are'nt a celtic guy do not buy one!Spend $400 on an epiphone,kentucky,morgan Monroe F style.You can pick these up new for that price.They are all made in China now.If you can pick up a used one made in Japan or Korea you might be better off.Many of the ones on ebay are factory seconds,ask and avoid if you can. The difference between an A and F is just the shape and price. An F does'nt slide off your lap.Round sound holes sound abit mellower and sweeter.F sound holes give the mando louder woody agressive tone thats better for bluegrass.Most pros favor F styles with F holes.Don't buy a $100 cheapo you'll regret it within a couple weeks.If you can go to music stores that carry more than cheapos so you can get a better idea on what sounds and plays good before you blindly buy one of the net.I played pro guitar for over 20 years,now I just play mando,the original picked lead instrument! And use a thick pick! Good luck and welcome to your newest addiction!Oh ya pro F mandos sell between 2k-25k so start saving now cause if you stick with it you will most likely out grow the inexpensive one.

PCypert
Apr-27-2005, 2:30pm
Hey man,
The a or f style mandolins with the f holes will have a more cutting sound. It's great for acoustic music like BG but not necessarily the best for all types. I'm a stong fan of the Mid Missouri line of mandolins. They aren't much to look at but you're paying for sound and playability. Not for looks and finish. Plus if something happens to it, they have one of the best warranties in the business. I'd look at that route. You will advance a lot further playing a better quality instrument than one that might look nicer, but is made overseas. If you were in a higher bracket (say 800-1200 bucks) there would be a hole other world of optoins. But around 400 your money will best be spent on a Mid Missouri. No ties with the company...just really happy with what they do.
Paul

GBG
Apr-27-2005, 2:40pm
What kind of mandolins do they sell in spain?

olgraypat
Apr-27-2005, 3:08pm
I'm also new to mandolin and have been lurking around mandolin cafe for a while and thought I'd add my thoughts. I agree with the suggestion that a good $400--$500 mandolin is a good place to start. However, if you're putting 3 kids through college like me, I would say go ahead and get the bottom of the line--a Johnson or Rogue from Musicians Friend. They're practically giving them away, and I probably would never have started if couldn't get one for $49. But they are playable.

Of course, after about 3 months I had MAS so I moved up to a Morgan Monroe (got a good deal) which I would not recommend. Plays okay, but the workmanship on the thing is very shoddy. I might consider and Epitone, which I have played and liked.

As to A or F style, of course I had to have an F, so now I have one. However, if I had it to do over, I would spend the same money on the Mid Mo and get an A. They just don't look as fancy.

Or, like a lot of us, order one of the kits from International Violin. I'm anxiously awaiting mine any day.

csstanley
Apr-27-2005, 3:58pm
I'm bout like olgray. I bought a Johnson and after playing a much better Gibson, couldn't play it any more and upgraded to a Bean Blossom.

The Johnson's for sale, I just haven't put it on the classifieds yet. If I don't care to play it, I need to get rid of it. Email me if you care to.

bjc
Apr-27-2005, 7:38pm
I started on a cheap Fender and after I realized I LOVED it, started moving up and out...so buy the best you can with your dollars...kentucky's, ephi's, mk's, goldtones's ect...and check the classfied here...good deals abound...But as Pen said get your hands on a few to find what you like...it is generally accepted that you can get better quality in an A style for entry level...But I own two F's and an A and the A was the last of the collection...Believe me, whatever you decide on, there will be something better/different/cooler on the horizon...Godd Luck

mandroid
Apr-27-2005, 9:42pm
Im advocating for either the webber sweet P or martin BP, travel mando so you are inseparable and get in lots of time for learning stuff , even in 5 minute bursts.
Both are well made, regular 14" scale instruments.
Scroll envy will set in soon enough. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

fred_zeppelin
Apr-28-2005, 2:37am
Thanks for all the advice guys.So it would seem that celtic mandolins arent very popular.The only real difference mentioned here is that they aren't so loud , which probably ouldnt be a problem since my plan is to buy something really basic but playable and then once I get bitten by the bug duy something good (rather than buy something a bit better - and then get bitten by MAS and buy another one anyway http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ) ).So is there any other reason that makes tem less suitable ? (scale lenth / string spacing etc ) Thanks

MandoJon
Apr-28-2005, 3:33am
So it would seem that celtic mandolins arent very popular

That's rather over stating the case! It also rather depends what you mean by 'Celtic' because in your opening question you list them as though they are something different to 'A' or 'F' style. Celtic mandolinists prefer 'A' style but that doesn't make them anymore 'Celtic' than calling an 'F' style a 'Bluegrass' mandolin.

'A' styles are cheaper because you are not paying for all those points and scrolls. Although they look lovely they have no acoustic function being solid (sure you can hang your strap from the scroll and the points help stop the thing sliding off your lap... if you've got a particularly slipperly lap!).

All this debate assumes you're not swayed by bowlbacks (aka taterbugs). Have a chat with the Classical folk on this site and you'll get a whole different perspective. But, of course, that's not to say you can't play Bluegrass on an 'A' style, or Classical on an 'F' style or Celtic on a bowlback and what about the jazz, blues and rock guys...

You'll find this debate over and over again in the archives of this site and your choices really boil down to round hole or 'f' holes for the most obvious difference in tone on beginner mandolins (this is a huge simplification obviously because there are tons of other issues such as depth of the soundbox, ply or solid top, etc).

Whatever you choose, I'd buy the best that you can afford/justify (and the latter is often more than the former!). All your knowledge of what makes a reasonable guitar will apply if you're buying secondhand - like straightness of the neck and how to check it etc. Really cheap instruments of any kind are a false economy because they are hard to play and off-putting. That said, you can get somthing very playable and enjoyable for a lot less than $1k (or £500 to me).

The one thing everyone on this site will agree on is buy SOMETHING, ANYTHING so long as it's a mandolin http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Nurse! The screens! I feel an attack of MAS coming on....

angrymandolinist
Apr-28-2005, 5:35am
I'd say the Kentucky 250-S would be a decent starter mando. All solid woods, decent chop, nice volume if a little weak on the bass side. Too, they've got a nice dark finish, and a smaller body that's quite addicting!

Kbone
Apr-28-2005, 7:30am
Buy the mando from someone who will have it set up right from the get go - (eg) Janet Davis , Greg Boyd..

stringfive
Apr-28-2005, 8:59am
I'm in your boat exactly...a guitarist starting with mando as a second instrument. I tried a Kentuck 150S and a Michael Kelly Delux. Both had very bad intonation problems and I became very discouraged. I finally found a Mid Missori M1 and I've been very happy with it. The Mid Mo is a much superior instrument at a great starter price ($450).

Michael H Geimer
Apr-28-2005, 9:25am
It's become fairly common to hear the advice about buying really cheap, and then buying another one down the road. Hmmmm. I did that myself, but I don't recommend it.

I should of just bought a Mid-mo, which is what I ended up with after trading in the El Cheapo's (my Epi even cost as much as a Mid-mo).

- Benig

meskalito
Apr-28-2005, 9:32am
I have a Michael Kelly and a Mid-Mo. Both are great values. Yes, the MK has some ###### workmanship, but the radiused fretboard makes it easier playing than the Mid-Mo. Plus, I've done some good recordings with the MK. I love the understated elegance of the Mid-Mo. If I had to recommend one, I'd start with the Mid-Mo. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

fred_zeppelin
Apr-28-2005, 12:46pm
Thanks MandoJohn your reply was exactly what I was looking for. (Hey I'm not slagging off the other replies theyre all helpful and interesting http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ) So it seems that theres no reason to not pick any style of mandolin (like I said in my previos post I was worried that maybe the scale length was different ) in fact it would seem that what I thought was a "Celtic" mando is realy just an A with a round soundhole. Just down to looking for the best value for money then.

Just hope that the predictions of giving up playing the guitar dont come true!!! - though I guess if I sold my 2 #Gibson electrics I woulnt need to worry about how to pay for a realy decent mandolin !!!! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Lee
Apr-28-2005, 12:50pm
I'd say to buy a used mando with a good re-sale value at the best price point you can afford.

Pedal Steel Mike
Apr-28-2005, 8:19pm
Since you aready play guitar, you know what to look for in any fretted instrument. A straight neck, decent action and good intonation. As a beginner, that's all you really need to be concerned with.

Eventually you're going to want something better, but for now, anything that's playable should suffice.

I recently picked up a Korean cheapie with the brand name "Venson", Not a great instrument by any means, but not bad either. There's a picture of it in the "Post a picture of your mandolin" section inder the title "Mike's Toys". It is solid mahogany, not a laminate.

I had planned on selling it when I got my Rigel, but decided to keep it as a beach/camping trip instrument.

Unfortunately, I don't know who sells this brand or where you can get one. I got mine at the NAMM show where it was used as a demonstrator. But if you can find one, I recommend them as a good beginning and/or spare instrument.

chopz
Apr-30-2005, 4:54pm
I too am a guitarist (with a fe Gibsons (LP, SG & 335)who recently started playing Mandolin. I LOVE IT!

Whatever you do. DON'T PAY FOR A NAME! Epiphone, Fender, Carlo Robelli etc. are all the same mandolins made in China. The only difference is the price. You'll pay 4 or 5 times as much for the Fender or Epiphone name. The Chinese make very good acoustic instruments, dirt cheap.

Good Luck! I haven't given up guitar, but I really enjoy playing mandolin. I have found that it is very easy for a proficient guitarist to play mandolin.