PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for braiding strap

kvk
Mar-03-2004, 11:22am
I kinda don't like the strap. I'd like to make a braided one from leather lace. I remember doing landyard stuff a million years ago in summer camp; it ain't that hard. I figure I could design something myself; I remember the various types of stitches. What I need to decide is do things--

How to attach one end of the strap to the button at the tail piece. I figure I'd want some sort of slip-knot.

How to make the strap adjustable. I like to tie my strap to the peghead as I don't like the balance when using the button at the base of the neck. I thought maybe just leaving some extra lace and then I could retie it if I wanted to change the length but I don't know if the extra lace dangling would be annoying.

Any ideas?

Anyone have any designs?

Walter Newton
Mar-03-2004, 2:51pm
[Picture reposted below]...I basically did what you're talking about, braiding my own strap from just some nylon "parachute" cord. #Cost almost nothing, and I like that I can leave it on while in the case. #

I simply attach one end to the endpin with an overhand knot and there's enough friction to keep it in place. #There's a little extra length on the peghead end (tucked under the strings) to adjust length a bit but it isn't annoying or "dangling".

I got the idea for how to do the braid with clean ends from a knot book at the library. #Took a few tries to get the length right.

ShaneJ
Mar-03-2004, 11:07pm
I bought some kangaroo lace on ebay and found this website (http://www.saroftreve.com/wwl/braiding/braiding.shtml) on how to round braid. I tied off the strands after braiding 3 feet or so and left enough length to tie the ends and leave a loop to go on the scroll. The other end is unbraided and I tied a slip knot and tightened it onto the endpin. Works great.

Next time I'll order more lace and do a 6 or 8 strand braid, maybe over a "core" strand of cotton or nylon cord to make it a bigger diameter.

Walter Newton
Mar-03-2004, 11:54pm
Smaller repost of my strap: