PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Hierarchy

Givensman
Oct-14-2015, 6:49pm
LIST THE TOP 10 MANDOLINS. (Purely Sujective, no set rules)

bigskygirl
Oct-14-2015, 7:00pm
:popcorn:

DataNick
Oct-14-2015, 7:04pm
Top 10 for what?

JFDilmando
Oct-14-2015, 7:21pm
top ten you would take on a white water river trip

Josh Levine
Oct-14-2015, 9:25pm
Shmergel Devastator
Shmergel Devastator
Shmergel Devastator
Shmergel Devastator
Shmergel Devastator
Shmergel Devastator
Shmergel Devastator
Shmergel Devastator
Shmergel Devastator
Shmergel Destroyer

Ron McMillan
Oct-14-2015, 9:43pm
oh that Schmergel joke just won't go away. It might have been funny until it appeared for about the thousandth time

allenhopkins
Oct-14-2015, 9:51pm
oh that Schmergel joke just won't go away. It might have been funny until it appeared for about the thousandth time

As the one who introduced the Shmergel Devastator to the Cafe, I reply, "Pish-tush!"

Besides, the Devastator is no "joke."

catmandu2
Oct-14-2015, 9:52pm

Concise, penetrating - really just says it all right there.

bigskygirl
Oct-14-2015, 9:58pm
As the one who introduced the Shmergel Devastator to the Cafe, I reply, "Pish-tush!"

Anybody want a ham sandwich.....?

Josh Levine
Oct-14-2015, 10:03pm

Yet, younger and with more depth than best mandolin threads?

catmandu2
Oct-14-2015, 10:04pm
(Purely Sujective, no set rules)

Why bother with subjectivity? Science has confirmed the Top 10. Next?

Steve Sorensen
Oct-14-2015, 10:13pm
For raw plugged in power with absolutely no unwanted feedback, I prefer the Schmergel e-Viscerator.

dcoventry
Oct-14-2015, 10:48pm
1. Rigel G5
2-10 Others

Whew. That was easier than I thought....

foldedpath
Oct-14-2015, 11:22pm
What mandolins are best in life?

Those that crush the banjo players, so you can see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!

journeybear
Oct-15-2015, 12:26am
:disbelief: :confused: :mad: :( :crying: :cow: ~:> :popcorn: :whistling: :sleepy:

rLi-KJJTSyc

R8niyG-cPgs

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-15-2015, 1:15am
To the OP - As you've guessed,this subject has been raised so many times & with so many variations in opinion,that it's past it's sell by date by a long way.
Nobody's trying to be nasty or smart assed - it's simply a question with so many 'opinions' as to be realistically meaningless in a ''one man's meat'' sort of way. So,pick your top 10 & that's as good as it gets. My own top ten ? = 1 to 10 = Ellis all the way (with 2 close 'also rans'),
Ivan;)

Petrus
Oct-15-2015, 1:31am

I hear they are expanding into the banjo market too. :cool:

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-15-2015, 1:56am
From Petrus - "I hear they are expanding into the banjo market too.". Terrific !!!. Now us banjer pickers can drown 'em out !
(not really, as i have a foot in both camps),:grin:
Ivan~:>

journeybear
Oct-15-2015, 2:06am
no!!! :crying: :crying: :crying:

The Shmergel has always been the one thing we could count on when all else failed, the one saving grace of mandolinosity that stood between us and whatever godforsaken creation anyone could devise to thwart our communal goal of restoring the mandolin to world domination - or at least be heard above the din at campgrounds and sessions, in concerts and TV appearances. The Shmergel is our Golem, our protector against the evil that men do.

The notion that they could have capitulated to the blandishments of banjo enthusiasts is nigh unthinkable. It could mean that Deering gave the good people at Shmergel an offer they couldn't refuse. Or perhaps it means that Gold Tone has bought them out, in their quest to gain control of the production of every unusual string instrument. I hope this is just a vicious rumor with no foundation in fact. :crying:

M.Marmot
Oct-15-2015, 2:09am
To the OP - As you've guessed,this subject has been raised so many times & with so many variations in opinion,that it's past it's sell by date by a long way.

Yep, because we certainly don't rehash the same old subjects here - no siree, you betchya.

Though, i have heard some are opening up to the idea.

Toni Schula
Oct-15-2015, 3:50am
Personally I am glad that the Shmergel Destroyer made it into the top 10....

Emmett Marshall
Oct-15-2015, 4:13am
...The notion that they could have capitulated to the blandishments of banjo enthusiasts is nigh unthinkable.

Petrus
Oct-15-2015, 4:42am
I think it's another example of Yuri Shmergel IV losing the vision that first guided his great-grandfather, Yuri Antonivich Shmergel, from Krakow in 1908 with a crude prototype of the original Niszczyciel ("Destructor") to the New World. Sadly, that original instrument is now long lost, probably chopped up for firewood during the Great Depression by Yuri II.

The decline probably started with the struggling firm's takeover by Nikimura Heavy Industry & Folk Instruments Conglomerate in 1974 and the introduction of the first solid-body electric Shmergel, the Irritator. Though that one does have its fans, for sure.

David Lewis
Oct-15-2015, 5:27am
Gibson Lloyd loar f5
Gilchrist f5
Jbovier ELS
Eastman
Kentucky
Jbovier f style
Peter Coombe
Rpiphone mm50 vn
Fender mandostrat
Gibson firebird.

There should be no argument there.

;) (ps check my list as to two of my choices)

Jeff Mando
Oct-15-2015, 5:33am
Possible game-changer: what if, just what if BLUE CHIP made an entire MANDOLIN outta that stuff??????? :grin::grin:

MikeEdgerton
Oct-15-2015, 7:35am
The Top Ten Reasons why threads like this aren't taken seriously:

Number 10. You always think the mandolin you own is the best.

JEStanek
Oct-15-2015, 7:55am
It's kinda like this....

Jamie

AlanN
Oct-15-2015, 7:56am
Check the OP join date, ain't no spring chicken. Just throwing bird seed to see where it lands. Top 10? Chuck Norris.

fatt-dad
Oct-15-2015, 8:01am
List the top ten list great mandolins that you've never owned or played.

f-d

journeybear
Oct-15-2015, 8:09am
Oh, sure. A list of things you know nothing about. Based on what - hearsay, conjecture, and speculation? (Well, that approach never stopped any of us. ;) )That oughta go well, and be real useful, too. :))

bigskygirl
Oct-15-2015, 8:45am
I think it's another example of Yuri Shmergel IV losing the vision that first guided his great-grandfather, Yuri Antonivich Shmergel, from Krakow in 1908 with a crude prototype of the original Niszczyciel ("Destructor") to the New World. Sadly, that original instrument is now long lost, probably chopped up for firewood during the Great Depression by Yuri II.

The decline probably started with the struggling firm's takeover by Nikimura Heavy Industry & Folk Instruments Conglomerate in 1974 and the introduction of the first solid-body electric Shmergel, the Irritator. Though that one does have its fans, for sure.

Wow, I learn soooo much here, why isn't stuff like this taught in grade school!

Relio
Oct-15-2015, 9:36am
Last time I as in Nashville the best mandolins I played were Altman, Gibson MM (Skaggs), Daley, Duff, Kimble, and Ellis - In no particular order. I didn't spend any time with mandos over $15,000. Most people will say their favorite is the one they own, and it makes sense because they chose it over the others.

JEStanek
Oct-15-2015, 9:51am
Based on sales. I'll say Rogue, Epiphone, Kentucky, L&H Bowlbacks, and Stradolins. You can see (if you actually look at the mandolins) many of the first three in the Women with Mandolins thread.

Coincidentally, I love many Rogue beers.

journeybear
Oct-15-2015, 10:07am
Wow, I learn soooo much here, why isn't stuff like this taught in grade school!

They can't handle The Truth! :disbelief:

It's pretty advanced stuff, anyway. Besides, it''s hard to teach grade school without visual aids, and Shmergels are nearly impossible to photograph, as their brilliance tends to destroy cameras.

EdHanrahan
Oct-15-2015, 10:10am
... Based on what - hearsay, conjecture, and speculation?

Excellent!! So now we an make three separate lists of things we know nothing about!

allenhopkins
Oct-15-2015, 11:37am
Anybody want a ham sandwich.....?

Got me again.

Addenda:

Shmergel will never make banjos. Asking the dedicated technicians who staff the Shmergel plant (as always, at an undisclosed location) to soil their hands with such pedestrian fluffery as that, would raise hoots and hollers you could probably hear from the next undisclosed location to the west.

Shmergel has not been bought by a Japanese firm. However, they have been receiving heavy investment support from a cartel of Arab sheiks, so who knows what might happen next?

Actual ownership of Shmergel has never been disclosed. I just wish I'd gotten in on the ground floor, when they made the first Devastator. I'd be cruising the Adriatic in my full-rigged sailing yacht by now. Ah, the missed opportunities of youth...

F-2 Dave
Oct-15-2015, 12:04pm
Thanks for clearing that up, Allen. I've got to admit my heart sank when I heard the banjo rumor.

journeybear
Oct-15-2015, 12:08pm
... they have been receiving heavy investment support from a cartel of Arab sheiks, so who knows what might happen next?

Hmmm ... Perhaps the development of the Eroudicator? The Oudbliterator? :confused: :( :crying:

Explorer
Oct-15-2015, 12:26pm
[size=7]The notion that they could have capitulated to the blandishments of banjo enthusiasts is nigh unthinkable.

Enticements a' power, wealth, et cetera... no one says no to the banjo lobby.

Oh, gracious, no, not with its blandishments.

Powers of persuasion.

Astro
Oct-15-2015, 1:02pm
I've got the list down for sure.

Does it have to be a mandolin?

Ddd
Oct-15-2015, 2:10pm
1. The one you love to play
2.-10 all the rest

WW52
Oct-15-2015, 2:58pm
1. The ones I like that I can afford, or...
2. based on number 1 above, in the grand scheme of the mandolin worlds top 10 most desirable examples, if such a thing could be averaged, the top of the hierarchy for me is way, way down into the negative realm. Way, way, way down. But I really, really, really like my own #1 mandolin.

In the history of the world, how many mandolins have been built?

FLATROCK HILL
Oct-15-2015, 4:16pm
In the history of the world, how many mandolins have been built?

Well that's easy enough. You just contact all the companies/builders that have ever built mandolins and access their archives to determine how many mandolins were built by each individual company or private builder. Total up the figures to find out how many mandolins have been built.*

(*The figures may not be 100% accurate if you include Gibson in the equation.)

David Lewis
Oct-15-2015, 5:18pm
Well that's easy enough. You just contact all the companies/builders that have ever built mandolins and access their archives to determine how many mandolins were built by each individual company or private builder. Total up the figures to find out how many mandolins have been built.* (*The figures may not be 100% accurate if you include Gibson in the equation.)

Too difficult. I just count the strings and divide by 6.255437. (4,5,8 and 10 strings averaged and outliers removed).

WW52
Oct-15-2015, 6:29pm
Well that's easy enough. You just contact all the companies/builders that have ever built mandolins and access their archives to determine how many mandolins were built by each individual company or private builder. Total up the figures to find out how many mandolins have been built.*

(*The figures may not be 100% accurate if you include Gibson in the equation.)

Well that wasn't meant to be taken literally or it would have to include Gibson, plus I didn't take mandolas, mandocellos, and banjo-mandolins into consideration.

journeybear
Oct-15-2015, 7:01pm
Posing a frivolous question here? :confused: Heaven forbid anyone should ever do that! :disbelief:

Timbofood
Oct-15-2015, 7:26pm
Mine
Yours
The next eight posters

David Lewis
Oct-15-2015, 8:28pm
Posing a frivolous question here? :confused: Heaven forbid anyone should ever do that! :disbelief:

Actually I thought it not a bad question even though I in my own attempt put in my acoustic (which a lot of people don't like). If we get enough it would be interesting to see where the statistics lie: is the Loar f5 the best at least in this informed community's opinion? Or is it something else?

(I did have a chuckle at the schmergel answers).

journeybear
Oct-16-2015, 4:13am
First off, so it won't get lost in the blur, I do want to thank you for playing along with the OP's request and providing us with a list - so far, at the half-century mark, the only one to take him seriously. Not that I advocate this, mind you - I'm siding with those who see this exercise as a bit daft - but thanks for trying.

That said, I'm afraid I must correct you on a couple of things. First, your #10 - if it's a mandolin, then it's an Epiphone MandoBird. Gibson may own Epiphone, but these come with the Epiphone label on them. And the Firebird is a guitar; the mandolin modeled after it is called a MandoBird. (Personally, I wouldn't have put this rather cheap electric ahead of so many possible acoustic choices, but it's not my list. ;) )

But what really must be addressed is your egregious spelling error. It's "Shmergel" - no "c" and always, ALWAYS, a capital "S." Respect and reverence.

Petrus
Oct-16-2015, 5:56am
I've gone through about 20 (?) cheezy mandos in my few shorts years of playing, mostly sub-par is not unplayable. I've played maybe another 20 high-end mandos in various shops (The Mandolin Store, McCabe's) so I do have some acquaintance with quality even if I can't afford it. And actually no, I don't think the ones I have right now are "the best" 'cause I know how much better stuff is out there. So like everyone else who commented I can't give an objective list.

Best one's I've owned so far:

KM-150
KM-380
Rover 50
Eastman 305
Eastman 505
Trinity College Octave

Best one's I've played (at the Mandolin Store) were types of Collings, Phoenix and Weber. They had a custom made Collings oval-hole blonde mandola that sounded fantastic even to my amateur ears.

I'm tempted to say my Eastman 305 may have sounded better than the 505 I traded it for. Maybe it was the matte finish; the heavy gloss on the 505 might be choking it a bit. Or maybe it's supposed to be bright & barky. Maybe it just needs to open up. (Kidding!)