PDA

View Full Version : Pickguards

Flame Maple
Oct-12-2015, 3:01pm
I am really enjoying the new Kentucky KM1OOO B.

It appears to have a very thin finish on the top and it marks very easy.

At first I thought I was hitting the top with the pick when playing chords .
Ivan advised me to hold the Mandolin vertical to my body ,which I do .

It is my fingers that are marking the top ,I did read something from a member who had the same problem.

I think it would be better to fit a pick guard and I have been looking on the internet at some nice pick guards .
:cool:
My question is, are all F Style Mandolin pick guards the same size.
As the KM 1000 B is a replica of the early Gibson's would it be the same size pick-guard for any F style Mandolin.

bigskygirl
Oct-12-2015, 7:47pm
You can also get a piece of clear material and use that rather than fitting a traditional pick guard. Guitarists and some mando players use it, I personally don't like the look of PG and the marks in the varnish finish of my mandolin prove it.....:)

Emmett Marshall
Oct-12-2015, 7:57pm
One option would be to call Steve over at Cumberland Acoustic in Nashville. He makes and installs pick guards. He installed an "abbreviated" tortoise pick guard on my KM-1500 awhile back. The work was superb. He can also just sell you the pickguard and hardware to have a local luthier do the work. Just two tiny holes drilled in the underside of the fretboard.

Here is what it looks like. I sold this mandolin to Aaron who is currently playing Bluegrass in Russia with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RjFT9Jq3As

Mandoplumb
Oct-13-2015, 5:08am
I have never liked the looks of a traditional pick guard but I don't like what my hand does to the top of the mandolin and as I get older I need to rest my hand somewhere more than ever. I had a custom made pick guard installed on my Dearstone that matches the top that serves the purpose and looks good.

Ray(T)
Oct-13-2015, 5:16am
Hi,
Ivan mentioned your problem to me. Importing a pick guard to Portugal is likely to be uneconomic irrespective of any problems fitting it - I've recently had a custom one made and fitted to my OM and the whole job cost less than it would have cost to buy a mandolin sized one from the US. If you're only concerned to protect the top, as Bigskygirl says, you can fit a piece of material to protect it I'd start by cutting down a cheap iPhone or iPad screen protector.

Flame Maple
Oct-13-2015, 5:46am
Thanks Ray, that sounds like a very good Idea.
I had to buy a new screen for my i phone and the screen protector is still on the screen so I will give that a try.

Flame Maple
Oct-13-2015, 6:40am
You can also get a piece of clear material and use that rather than fitting a traditional pick guard. Guitarists and some mando players use it, I personally don't like the look of PG and the marks in the varnish finish of my mandolin prove it.....:)Thank you ,Ray T suggested using an I phone screen protector,I shall try that.

AlanN
Oct-13-2015, 7:06am
My question is, are all F Style Mandolin pick guards the same size.

Here's a shortened one crafted by the late CD.