PDA

View Full Version : Bridger Owners

Onesound
Apr-27-2005, 7:17am
I'm finally starting to put together a short list of mandolins, and the Weber Bridger is on it. My musical styles of interest are Celtic/World, Oldtimey and classical, and this mando seems perfectly suited for these. I'd like to know what it's owners think of them - would you buy another. Pictures would be nice, too.

Cheers,
BRian

Mandobar
Apr-27-2005, 7:54am
there was a used bridger for around $1100 at the 12fret.com in toronto a few weeks ago.

Mike Buesseler
Apr-27-2005, 9:03am
My playing partner has had one for about four years. We both love it and it just gets better. Not a great bluegrass mando, IMO, but it should serve you very well. I've seen several in the classifieds for around $1100.

Mike Buesseler
Apr-27-2005, 9:05am
My playing partner has had one for about four years. #We both love it and it just gets better. #Not a great bluegrass mando, IMO, but it should serve you very well. #I've seen several in the classifieds for around $1100.

pathfinder
Apr-27-2005, 11:46pm
I did buy another. #First I pulled the trigger for a Bridger 'A' and then I bought a Bridger 'F' four months later. #Great little axes for what you describe. #Just know that the 'strap hanger' costs 2-3 times more than what the 'A' sells for.

I found they took longer to 'play in' than other mandos. #It took about a year of hard woodshedding for them to really open up. #But now they're cannons. #

Their sound is very similar (great for Celtic and Oldtime) but the 'strap hanger' sounds slightly louder IMHO.

Dolamon
Apr-28-2005, 6:40am
I've got a fairly old Bridger, made in 1999 and it is a well played in instrument. While great for jazz and some celtic situations, it can get lost in a loud group of fiddlers ... but then almost all unamplified mandolins will get lost in a bunch of bow slingers.

What interests me about the Bridger ... this is the only instrument I've run across which can be played with virtually any type or weight of strings - with the exception of Silk and Bronze. Choose appropriate strings for your interest / level of playing and they flat out work. I haven't tried T/I's yet but ...

Would I buy another? Perhaps - If I needed a good all around instrument which would be used in everything including classical and jazz.

But then I already have one which is an amazing looking and sounding instrument. (These age REALLY well ...)

Wesley
Apr-29-2005, 10:24am
The Bridger was the perfect mandolin for what I used to play and it sounds like it will be perfect for your style. However if my house burnt down tomorrow { God fobide } I would not replace it because my style of music has changed. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm knocking the Bridger. I'm not. But our group has evolved in a more bluegrassy direction. My primary mandolin now is a Weber fern. I agree with whoever said that you should always play an instrument that is better than you are. That's true for my Fern.
Mandolins can be like people. Are you still dating the same person that you dated in high school ? I doubt it. That doesn't mean that both of you arn't great people but sometimes you move on - you have to know what's right for you. I'm glad I bought my Bridger. It was perfect for me then but I'm doing something different now. I need the Fern to keep up with the banjo player in my group.
Buy the Bridger - you'll love it. But if you outgrow it move on and don't look back.

PlayerOf8
Apr-30-2005, 9:49am
Buy another?
I have three now!

GM