PDA

View Full Version : Do you mandoke?

dtb
Oct-06-2015, 1:25pm
You know, it's like karoke except with your mando.

Dan

catmandu2
Oct-06-2015, 1:51pm
Does this require a certain format, repertoire, gear, etc? I've seen lots of gear that appears designed for 'kaoroke' use I guess..

I use e-tronic devices to store percussion tracks - useful for performing. In fact I have an old Tascam 4-trk that I think was marketed and designed for 'kaoroke' use.

Robert B
Oct-06-2015, 1:53pm
Yup... Using band in a box and creating my own chord progression sets. A great way to learn/improve, in my opinion. I also change up the keys so I don't become key dependant. I'll also play along with anything that I happen to be be listening to (MP3 or radio.)

I'm working on developing a repertoire of songs I really like. Have only been playing mandolin for 6 weeks.

catmandu2
Oct-06-2015, 2:01pm
It's amazing what sounds can be readily available for players. I've kept effects and deployments very basic thus far - tracks of my own playing, for example. But oh what I would like to do...I've been into electronica since the 80s...I think 'jazz'/noise went electric with AMM - though they only had Keith Rowe's electric.. But there is some very consonant/beautiful stuff too..

Timbofood
Oct-06-2015, 2:05pm
Nope

Bill McCall
Oct-06-2015, 2:23pm
I too use Band in a Box. Jack Tuttle has a zip file of over 100 tunes you can download and load in. I play along all the time when I'm learning a tune, when I'm not trying to play with a tabledit file. And I put in the chords to other songs to learn the melody and improvise.

dtb
Oct-06-2015, 2:58pm
My story is a little more involed, and on going.

A major stroke took my left side in '06. And into home recording for 20+ years, and some form of music for 40+ years, about 4 years ago I was listening to some music my son turned me on to. It was right up my wheel house, so I musta had way over 100 listens to this cd, and something clicked. There were many tunz on this cd that were in G, and I'd pick up my mando and do this one (right) hand chop, and stuff to some of these tracks. My recording rig allowed me to get the track into my recorder, edit if needed, and play with the track thru a mic with headphones on. Does any of this make any sense?

Dan

Mark Gunter
Oct-06-2015, 3:55pm
My story is a little more involed, and on going.

A major stroke took my left side in '06. And into home recording for 20+ years, and some form of music for 40+ years, about 4 years ago I was listening to some music my son turned me on to. It was right up my wheel house, so I musta had way over 100 listens to this cd, and something clicked. There were many tunz on this cd that were in G, and I'd pick up my mando and do this one (right) hand chop, and stuff to some of these tracks. My recording rig allowed me to get the track into my recorder, edit if needed, and play with the track thru a mic with headphones on. Does any of this make any sense?

Dan

Well, yah, pretty darn cool and pretty creative/resourceful to find ways to make mando music (basically) one-handed. I'm in your corner, dude, keep at it!

objectsession
Oct-06-2015, 4:08pm
I mand- alright, I guess.

Tom Wright
Oct-06-2015, 5:31pm
Karaoke originally meant singing along with recorded music. I enjoy playing along with the radio, or sometimes recordings I'm familiar with, e.g. Don S's CDs. I have learned a lot from my radio play---new sounds, new tunes, and new moves I hear someone do. I would say I play with recordings rarely, but with radio (or internet stream) quite a lot.

Unlike karaoke, I have to sort of ignore the soloist (it hasn't been removed) but I can either play with or against what is in the solo.

For jazzers, the Jamie Aebersold (http://jazzbooks.com/) recordings are popular to play along with. When I was young, a new item was "Music Minus One"; famous classical music, concertos especially, with no soloist. Not entirely satisfying trying to fit an orchestra's tempo but a cool thing nonetheless.

catmandu2
Oct-07-2015, 10:51am
Yes and I make an association (perhaps erroneously) that the 'format' of 'karaoke' is as much parody/pantomime as it is musical activity, which is why I wanted to understand what the OP Dan was referring to. I've seen or am somehow vaguely aware of all the gadgetry intended specifically for this kind of activity/performance - like here for example at 22:10" (sorry, don't know how to 'time-stamp')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gog0JQ34YMQ

I'm not a student of karaoke, but it seems that the 'genre'/style/form has evolved (as it were) to sort of accommodate a variety of approaches, technologies and apparatus. I think I've seen gadgets/toys like musical instruments - providing a microphone, play-along, or pantomime, or whatever - self-contained in the apparatus. And it's not surprising that this would become a 'form' in itself - given modernism's penchant for shortcuts, toys, easy access and virtual-ality. But no doubt there's creativity happening with someone in regards to all this, too.

John Flynn
Oct-08-2015, 9:06am
Sort of, I guess. I play in a church music group every Sunday. I practice by playing along with recordings of the tunes, either off of albums or YouTube. The recordings rarely have mandolin in them, so it's a little like karaoke.

dtb
Oct-08-2015, 2:06pm
I forgot to mention that my process translate to jams albeit a percussive one.

Dan