PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Gibson F5FB

Bluegrassboync
Oct-06-2015, 9:54am
Hello, this is my first post. i have been off and on lurking for a couple years. lol!
Can anyone tell me what they know about this mandolin? i have had it for a little over a year. It is a good mandolin i love it. i just want to know some details if possible. i have heard it was part of a batch that was made specifically for a music store in california that is no longer in business. i have heard it has a red spruce top vs. sitka that f-5g have. i can provide serial number later if need be. i've heard the fb stands for flame burst? thanks!

Danny Clark
Oct-06-2015, 10:13am
the info you have is correct,a dealer at the time on the West Coast had about 25 of these built with Red Spruce top and a different color sunburst ,less than 5 maybe 3 were Varnish if I remember correctly .
ive had 2 or 3 of them

Timbofood
Oct-06-2015, 10:14am
Hold it up to the screen and let us take a look.
Pictures would help to be less smarty pants. Sorry.

FLATROCK HILL
Oct-06-2015, 10:50am
Yes, as Timbofood says..."Pictures"!
There are a few of us around here that really like to learn all we can about these Gibson rarities. Love to see some pictures.

Bluegrassboync
Oct-06-2015, 10:53am
you got it I'll put some up tonight

Bluegrassboync
Oct-06-2015, 11:29am
Danny Clark,
Do you know who built them? thanks

DataNick
Oct-06-2015, 2:08pm
2003 Gibsons were built under Charlie Derrington's watch at Gibson. Crew mates included Big Joe, Danny Roberts, Michael Owens, and I think David Harvey was there as well...Sim Daley I think had left by then...others whose names I don't know.
A good period in Gibson mandolin production.

I'd be curious as to whether or not there is much of a difference between that period's Varnished Fern and a Lacquered Red Spruce topped F5 like yours...

Danny Clark
Oct-06-2015, 3:29pm
2003 Gibsons were built under Charlie Derrington's watch at Gibson. Crew mates included Big Joe, Danny Roberts, Michael Owens, and I think David Harvey was there as well...Sim Daley I think had left by then...others whose names I don't know.
A good period in Gibson mandolin production.

I'd be curious as to whether or not there is much of a difference between that period's Varnished Fern and a Lacquered Red Spruce topped F5 like yours...

this is correct

DataNick
Oct-06-2015, 3:45pm
Danny,

Have you ever had the opportunity to play a varnished fern? Curious as to your thoughts (individual mandolin's difference aside) of the differences between a Red Spruce top Gibson F5 lacquered vs a Sitka top Gibson F5 varnished...

Danny Clark
Oct-06-2015, 4:08pm
ive owned several examples of each ,its probably only a matter of opinion ,and builders may disagree
I think Red Spruce gives more punch especially after a few years of playing ,
I think Varnish allows the wood to move more
if I could have only one of them Red Spruce or Varnish
I would choose varnish

DataNick
Oct-06-2015, 5:05pm
ive owned several examples of each ,its probably only a matter of opinion ,and builders may disagree
I think Red Spruce gives more punch especially after a few years of playing ,
I think Varnish allows the wood to move more
if I could have only one of them Red Spruce or Varnish
I would choose varnish

Thanks Brotha for the sincere observations...gets me thinking...

Bluegrassboync
Oct-06-2015, 7:04pm
Ok I give up!
I don't know how to upload pics from iPad to mandolin cafe?! Any ideas thanks!

Bluegrassboync
Oct-06-2015, 7:12pm

DataNick
Oct-06-2015, 7:17pm
Bluegrassboyync,

Click the Icon that mouse overs to "Insert Image". Click the Icon, select "From Computer", select "Choose files"...follow the prompts and that should insert them into your post.

Just saw IPad...PM me with your email address. I'll email you, send them to me as an attachment, and I'll post them...

Bluegrassboync
Oct-06-2015, 7:19pm

Sorry Newbie here!

Bluegrassboync
Oct-06-2015, 7:21pm
I got them on here but sideways for some reason. Yeah I don't think it's very iPad friendly. Lol

DataNick
Oct-06-2015, 7:40pm
Interesting that the keyboard has binding (which an F5G does not normally have)...nice looking mando; how does she sound? Did you get it from a player who whomped on it for awhile so it's opened up?

Bluegrassboync
Oct-06-2015, 8:04pm
It has really opened up the past few months. It was sitting up for a couple years and not played. I got some new fret wire on it, set up etc... and I have played the snot out of it the past year. Like Danny mentioned it has a mean punch. Definitely can be heard thru a banjer

Bluegrassboync
Oct-06-2015, 8:05pm
To clarify the guy I bought it from had it sitting up for a couple years not me. I play it every day

Timbofood
Oct-06-2015, 8:10pm
I got them on here but sideways for some reason. Yeah I don't think it's very iPad friendly. Lol

No sweat, I use my iPad for almost everything, orientation of photos is a constant challenge for me, I have found that placing the "home button" on the right seems to help. Scott offered an explanation which my analgesic brain accepted but still does not really understand. So, when taking pictures, try reversing where you shoot them from and try again. Mine are almost always front for Peter Coombes in Australia, even the food shots!;)

Bluegrassboync
Oct-06-2015, 8:32pm
No sweat, I use my iPad for almost everything, orientation of photos is a constant challenge for me, I have found that placing the "home button" on the right seems to help. Scott offered an explanation which my analgesic brain accepted but still does not really understand. So, when taking pictures, try reversing where you shoot them from and try again. Mine are almost always front for Peter Coombes in Australia, even the food shots!;)

Thanks I'll give it a try

Timbofood
Oct-07-2015, 9:51am
You bet, I love spell check
That should have read analog not analgesic! Frustrating!
This is button left:139285

This,button right:

Now, I will post this and see if it's oriented properly.

Bluegrassboync
Oct-07-2015, 11:33am
You bet, I love spell check
That should have read analog not analgesic! Frustrating!
This is button left:139285

This,button right:

Now, I will post this and see if it's oriented properly.

weird!

Hadji36
Oct-07-2015, 1:27pm
Wow! The chicken actually fell out of the picture when you turned it upside-down.

stevedenver
Oct-07-2015, 2:55pm
Wow! The chicken actually fell out of the picture when you turned it upside-down.

I noticed that too.
so much for dinner.:cow:

Timbofood
Oct-07-2015, 3:15pm
Fell right into my tummy! Tuesday I will be doing a pork loin, might not make it to the photograph stage!

MikeEdgerton
Oct-07-2015, 6:34pm
These were originally made for Music Machine by Gibson. When they got into trouble they sold the remaining stock to Buffalo Brothers in Carlsbad. I think Buffalo Bros got the majority that Gibson made. Both stores are gone now as far as I know. It was sold as an F5-FB for Flameburst if I'm to believe my memory. As has been stated I think there were 3 that were varnished. The mandolins sold at Buffalo Brothers were sold as used as they became the original purchaser when they bought them from Music machine. That had to be in the 2005 time period as that's when I bought my F5G. Someone was telling me I should go to California and look at them. If it had been the year before I would have as I was in that area every other month.

Bluegrassboync
Oct-09-2015, 11:56am
so is my mandolin basically a f5g with a red spruce top? is there any other differences?

thanks

carleshicks
Oct-09-2015, 12:10pm
so is my mandolin basically a f5g with a red spruce top? is there any other differences?

thanks

Also a sunburst back.

DataNick
Oct-09-2015, 12:11pm

thanks

Is your finish varnished or lacquered?
Apparently that's the only other difference...

Bluegrassboync
Oct-12-2015, 9:22am
Is your finish varnished or lacquered?
Apparently that's the only other difference...

I'm really not sure? how would i go about finding out?

thanks!

DataNick
Oct-12-2015, 11:40am
I'm really not sure? how would i go about finding out?

thanks!

From your pics it looks like it is lacquered...need better pics in better light or to see it close up. It's more than likely lacquered as they didn't do many varnish order F5Gs then; a few but I don't think this is one of them, of course you could have one of the three...