PDA

View Full Version : Ely Karasik, requiescat in pace

John Goodin
Oct-05-2015, 10:48am
I am sad to report that I have learned from reliable sources that Ely Karasik, composer, arranger and longtime member of CMSA, passed away on or about September 30, 2015. For many years he was a fixture in the vendor area at the annual Classical Mandolin Society of America conventions, selling his self-published original music.

While I didn't know him well, to me he was always a kind and gentle man. He played and composed lovely, nostalgic music and was a connection to an earlier time. I always looked forward to his presence at the conventions and I'm sure that we will all miss him in Austin this month.

Here's a link to a thread that contains a photo of Ely at his vendor table in Dayton a few years ago, taken by Will Kimble:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?56203-CMSA-Vendors&highlight=karasik

John G.

Dave Cohen
Oct-22-2015, 9:09pm
He had a playful side as well, naming his compositions with catchy little titles like "Mozzarella Bella", and "Peerless Gynt".

John Goodin
Oct-23-2015, 12:30pm
Dave, thanks for remembering this side of Ely's character.

I should add that last week at the CMSA in Austin the Denver folks put up a really nice table with photos of Ely throughout his career and some samples of his music. I was lucky enough to win a copy of his "Romance Enchantment" quartet at the gala banquet raffle.

Gone but not forgotten.

John G.