PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!!! BEWARE OF AVS audio converter!

stringalong
Oct-04-2015, 9:47pm
AVS Audio Converter REALLY, REALLY MESSED UP MY COMPUTER! I don't know if was a virus, a worm, or what! A member of Mandolin Cafe forums recommended this program on a thread I started several days ago. I can't find that thread now. The member said he uses it, but when I installed this program, it put a spam search engine and home page called Bing. Fortunately, I subscribe to Microsoft Phone Support, which costs over $500 per year. (Much less, however, than I was paying annually/total to my computer scientist friend, every time I had a problem that I couldn't fix myself.) Microsoft technicians and I spend two hours PER DAY for THREE DAYS trying to fix this problem. Now, I can at least get my home page again. But there are still problems -- every time I open a new Tab for the internet, whether from Firefox or Internet Explorer, there's a problem; but I can easily get around that problem and use the tab now. I gave up on Microsoft techs because they at least made my internet usable and stable again. But Microsoft sent the number for supervisor. Maybe I'll call that, but I don't want to spend this kind of time again, while Microsoft pokes around and might make the problem worse again. JUST BEWARE! DON'T USE AVS Audio Converter!

Darren Bailey
Oct-04-2015, 10:38pm
Sorry to hear about your problems. I've used that software on many different computers without any issues of any kind. I suspect you should avoid the site where you downloaded it.

Mark Gunter
Oct-04-2015, 10:47pm
Often it is not the program itself, but the site from which you download it, as has been suggested. Scams are so prevalent across the internet, it might even be questionable as to whether you downloaded that actual program or a farcical clone. And do be careful that you are dealing with real Microsoft technicians, there are numerous scammers imitating such as well.

Very sorry to hear of your troubles, and thank you for warning the rest of us. Wish you the best in dealing with all this.

MysTiK PiKn
Oct-04-2015, 11:40pm
Isn't Bing an old search engine that's been around for years. I never used it; but the name rings a bell. Kinda like other oldeez like Altavista.
I use basic virus program, and clean out old temp files and history once in a while, and then run a registry scanner called RegVac. It basically finds "dead end registry strings" that are no longer valid, usually due to uninstalls or deletes. (makes the reg smaller, faster). I also dump the windoze "Temp" folder. It's usually loaded with wannabe important Junk. Anything labelled temp, I dump it all. Scan the reg, reboot. If it doesn't boot, I have a problem - but dumping temps should not cause troubles. Altho I will have to log on Here at the cafe, and maybe a couple of "remember me" locations. No big deal. The only other warning I see are on search engines, where some search result on the list is marked with a warning.
I know Firefox just updated to version 41 - seamless, unnoticeable = so far, heh heh.
I find it all exciting but I used to work at it. Since mid 90's I only had 2 serious attacks; one fixed with Norton AVirus - which I will not use anymore due to hoggy performance issues. The fix was manual instructions printed to follow - nasty virus - it even killed Norton. The other was the "about blank" homepage (and worse) hack which I found a solution online fortunately, followed instrux, done.
These things when they happen can take hours or days. They are more fun to look back on and laugh.
It's only a stupid computer; and it only does what it's told to do by it's programming.
It's also possible the problem came from something unrelated to all of the above.

Does windoze still have a Restore function ??
What version of windoze is this about ??
Is win 10 any better?
just curious - the wreck I drive isn't worth hacking. Except the Musical Instruments stuff. I value that. some Music. Pix. The rest is just another install. I should do a backup - one of my hdd is noisy.
What I really need is an internet connex.

Jim
Oct-05-2015, 12:15am
I've gotten "Bing" the same way, take it off your startup menu then you can delete it. It's a PIA but a fairly easy fix. Still very annoying.

Ron McMillan
Oct-05-2015, 1:08am
I have no experience of AVS, but a quick search finds it is available for download on cnet.com, one of the most reliable download sites on the web. If AVS was the problem, I doubt very much if cnet would have it on its download page. As others have stated, you may have downloaded it from a less scrupulous site that exists to add on unwanted products.

MysTiK PiKn
Oct-05-2015, 1:20am
I've gotten "Bing" the same way, take it off your startup menu then you can delete it. It's a PIA but a fairly easy fix. Still very annoying.

Good idea, since that which is "in use" cannot be DEL.

I had need to check my startup menu recently; but could not recall how to access it.

It was type in the "Run" box, something like "msconfig" - or is that it?? I used to know the older and the newer command for that.

Please confirm??

It can be removed with just a checkmark removal. Also, if you uncheck everything, nothing will run. Or you can be selective.
At any rate, you still need to uninstall - if that's already been done (?) the DEL whatever's left of it, using windoze explorer to find the filezzzz. or search for it's name to find it. Could be hiding elsewhere.

I dunno - I am still running on xP. Sometimes things change????

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-05-2015, 4:15am
I've used ''Switch Sound File Converter'' freeware for years & it's 100% fine. Download it & install it from here if you wish to.
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/ It'll convert any sound format to any other sound format & it's never failed me once.
Add your files for conversion,select the folder to save the converted files to,select the output ie. MP3 etc. & click on 'convert' - job done !,
Ivan;)

MikeEdgerton
Oct-05-2015, 5:33am
Just because a search engine finds a product doesn't mean it's a good download. This is social engineering at it's finest. Know the site you're downloading from or don't download it.

Austin Bob
Oct-05-2015, 7:00am
Just because a search engine finds a product doesn't mean it's a good download. This is social engineering at it's finest. Know the site you're downloading from or don't download it.

Yep, you really have to be careful now when you download something. There are numerous sites out there that look legit, but package common downloads with a ton of malware.

There are some free malware removal tools out there, I actually started running a paid version and you'd be amazed at what it finds.

David Lewis
Oct-05-2015, 7:14am
Bing is microsofts answer to google.

As above, I suspect it's the site, not the software.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-05-2015, 8:13am
I use 4 anti-virus/spyware & malware products on my pc. If i download an app. & try to install it,if there's anything 'nasty' in it,one of them will tell me before the install has even begun & i ditch it. As for 'know the site',if it's something that you've only just discovered,you can't 'know' it,all you can do is to protect yourself against anything bad in it. I've had one virus in the 11 years i've had a PC & that came via Facebook. I'd put my e-mail address on there so somebody could contact me. Shortly after,over 45,000 UK FB users had their accounts hacked & all hell broke loose. So no more FB for me - ever !,
Ivan

Scott Tichenor
Oct-05-2015, 8:14am
This is Google:
http://www.mandolinarchive.com/images/11-693_gil_peghead.jpg

This is Bing:
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20250&d=0

Carl Robin
Oct-05-2015, 9:51am
I have had that issue in the past. It took a lot of time and effort to get rid of. I blame it on a barely noticeable part of the download process that I moved past too quickly, unsuspecting of a trap. It's not related to the software we wanted, just something extraneous that turned out to be an aggressive marketing scheme. They want people to just give up and be stuck with Bing. No need to pay $500 a year, though. Web searches, and persistence eventually allowed me to exorcise it. This was several years ago so I don't remember specifics, but it did sour my attitude towards AVS. I did use it a little, but it wasn't that useful to me. Hope your computer gets back to normal soon, Stringalong.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-05-2015, 10:04am
Generally these things load you up with bloatware. That's generally legitimate or semi-legitimate software that they get paid to dump on you. If you know how to remove a Windows program simply go in and remove everything with the same install date as the day you loaded the program. That will take out the legit stuff. If it's truly malware then you're going to have to work harder.

JEStanek
Oct-05-2015, 10:24am
You may even have given permission to install the other software after you downloaded the AVS Converter. Many of these things come with bundles and on install you' just click OK OK OK to get through... next thing you know you have a new antivirus, browser and completely jumbled your normal settings. You often have to uncheck the box for these extra bits of software installs want to add.

Jamie

DavidKOS
Oct-05-2015, 10:34am
I use 4 anti-virus/spyware & malware products on my pc.

Reading this thread is a great reminder of why I swore off PC and Microsoft products years ago and use NOTHING but Mac computers. Although Macs are not virus and malware proof, they are much less susceptible to the common problems that you guys seem to have with IBM-system based computers.

Just a thought.

billhay4
Oct-05-2015, 11:13am
So is Linux without the Mac pricetag.
Bill

MikeEdgerton
Oct-05-2015, 12:16pm
Unfortunately as the PC world started to become a harder target to hit the Mac world was seen as a softer target and the malware headed that way has increased. It's no where near the level that is thrown at the Windows world but it's growing.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-06-2015, 2:49am
When it comes to downloading anything from the I/net,the only important rule is - trust nothing !. If i'm in doubt of anything,i run the app.through one or more of my anti-'whatever' software programmes,even then,if i decide to install it,i look for the ''add-ons' attached,which are usually apps in which i've no interest. Sometimes you can choose not to have them,others are mandatory,so i look for other software without any add-ons. Failure to look closely at what you're downloading can end in a lot of trouble - as we know,
Ivan:(

stringalong
Oct-06-2015, 4:03pm
Thank you, markscarts. I am sure I have the correct Microsoft! I have phone support, which I paid for for a year. I'll double check!!!! That would be so horrible if I have the wrong Microsoft.!

Often it is not the program itself, but the site from which you download it, as has been suggested. Scams are so prevalent across the internet, it might even be questionable as to whether you downloaded that actual program or a farcical clone. And do be careful that you are dealing with real Microsoft technicians, there are numerous scammers imitating such as well.

Very sorry to hear of your troubles, and thank you for warning the rest of us. Wish you the best in dealing with all this.

stringalong
Oct-06-2015, 4:08pm
I have virus program too, mystic picken. It scans each day. I will save your info -- thanks -- and see what I can do. There are still a few problems with my computer! I use Windows 7.

Isn't Bing an old search engine that's been around for years. I never used it; but the name rings a bell. Kinda like other oldeez like Altavista.
I use basic virus program, and clean out old temp files and history once in a while, and then run a registry scanner called RegVac. It basically finds "dead end registry strings" that are no longer valid, usually due to uninstalls or deletes. (makes the reg smaller, faster). I also dump the windoze "Temp" folder. It's usually loaded with wannabe important Junk. Anything labelled temp, I dump it all. Scan the reg, reboot. If it doesn't boot, I have a problem - but dumping temps should not cause troubles. Altho I will have to log on Here at the cafe, and maybe a couple of "remember me" locations. No big deal. The only other warning I see are on search engines, where some search result on the list is marked with a warning.
I know Firefox just updated to version 41 - seamless, unnoticeable = so far, heh heh.
I find it all exciting but I used to work at it. Since mid 90's I only had 2 serious attacks; one fixed with Norton AVirus - which I will not use anymore due to hoggy performance issues. The fix was manual instructions printed to follow - nasty virus - it even killed Norton. The other was the "about blank" homepage (and worse) hack which I found a solution online fortunately, followed instrux, done.
These things when they happen can take hours or days. They are more fun to look back on and laugh.
It's only a stupid computer; and it only does what it's told to do by it's programming.
It's also possible the problem came from something unrelated to all of the above.

Does windoze still have a Restore function ??
What version of windoze is this about ??
Is win 10 any better?
just curious - the wreck I drive isn't worth hacking. Except the Musical Instruments stuff. I value that. some Music. Pix. The rest is just another install. I should do a backup - one of my hdd is noisy.
What I really need is an internet connex.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Jim. I don't know why Microsoft didn't think of this, or, if they did, it didn't work.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, horrible, everyone, that I may have downloaded it from a scam site. Oh, woe is me.

stringalong
Oct-06-2015, 4:13pm
David, I've been sorely tempted to get a MAC. For one thing, it seems like it would take massive effort to transfer all my files, etc, to MAC. Plus, it would be highly expensive. But I envy you, that's for sure. My bro and sister in law have MAC and always gloat!

stringalong
Oct-06-2015, 4:14pm
Thanks of you who wrote! I actually feel a bit overwhelmed now, with all this info. I wish my computer guru would call me. I may try him again. I was hoping that Microsoft's work would replace him. Since he's been so out of touch.

journeybear
Oct-06-2015, 4:58pm
It shouldn't be that expensive to migrate your data to a new computer. It should just take the right cable for a few dollars and some time. Google it. ;)

Bing is microsoft's answer to google.
Right. It is the default search engine if you use IE as your browser. It's one of the reasons I switched to Chrome. And I've always preferred Google.

BTW, I just saw that Google is the #2 brand in the world ($370 billion), second only to Apple ($600). :disbelief: And gaining fast, on track to be the first to $1 trillion. :disbelief: I have no idea how they are making that much money on a free service, though I have my suspicions. :whistling:

Mark Wilson
Oct-06-2015, 5:04pm
This is Bing:
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20250&d=0

Wow. Is that The Shmergel?

houseworker
Oct-06-2015, 5:09pm
I am sure I have the correct Microsoft! I have phone support, which I paid for for a year. I'll double check!!!! That would be so horrible if I have the wrong Microsoft.!

Microsoft don't offer support contracts other than to business customers. "Microsoft Phone Support" doesn't exist. Someone's taking advantage of you I'm afraid.

journeybear
Oct-06-2015, 5:12pm
Wow. Is that The Shmergel?

Surely you have not been playing close enough attention. Shmergels are incapable of being photographed due to their inherent brilliance. And they are inexpressible joys to behold, whereas this is ... not. :crying:

I know - don't call me Shirley! :))

"Microsoft Phone Support" doesn't exist. Someone's taking advantage of you I'm afraid.
Someone is ... stringing him along? :confused: :( :whistling:

Mark Gunter
Oct-06-2015, 8:56pm
Someone is ... stringing him along?

Really does sound like it. And if that is correct, these #$@%&*@ have probably had her (or him?) download software to allow them to control the computer remotely. They fleece people with "phone support contracts", they get in remotely and steal sensitive data, they put their own "antivirus programs" in, fill the computer with bloatware, and when the unsuspecting victims wise up, they get in and change the password to prevent the victim from being able to use their computer.

Believe it or not, this is a very common scam, I just hope it's not the case here.

rockies
Oct-06-2015, 9:52pm
I use the Microsoft Rule #1 .... Before loading, installing and running ANY SOFTWARE ALWAYS Create a restore point. If anything doesn't run properly restore to the created restore point. Back to square one. Good luck with your problem and I agree, bad download site, always download from the parent site of the software.
Dave

stringalong
Oct-12-2015, 11:08pm
Thank you for this information, houseworker! I called my credit card people, and they are reversing the charges! I get my money back, apparently. They closed my card, so they are sending me a new card. This is the third time in 6 months. The first two times, the card was hacked; I had to get a new card and a refund. This time it was me who bought a fraud.

stringalong
Oct-12-2015, 11:10pm
Ha ha, journeybear. Stringing me along.... very funny -- and it kinda is funny NOW because I'll be getting back my $539!!!

stringalong
Oct-12-2015, 11:19pm
Thank you, rockies. A computer guy is coming over sometime in the next week or so. I'll ask him how to make a Restore Point. If you have time, maybe you'd answer a few of my questions here about that: Would the newly created store point refer/point to ONLY the program I would be downloading at that moment? How long does this Restore Point hold in place? Several days? Several weeks? Does it restore EVERYTHING in my computer, or just the program I mistakenly downloaded? The fraudulent AVS Audio Converter worked "okay" but not perfectly. I may have written somewhere here that the converted audio file (i.e. from YouTube to Amazing Slowdowner) was not only scratchy sounding, but also kept cutting out and starting over from the beginning, without finishing the tune/audio. I would be kinda hard for me to know that was a defect DUE TO FRAUD.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-13-2015, 2:13am
Hi String - Read this Microsoft article :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/create-a-restore-point . As it says,restore points are automatically created on a weekly basis,but,if your pc is running fine & you've decided to download & install 'whatever',you can create a restore point before you do it.You don't have to wait for your pc to do it automatically. It won't download the faulty programme again. I've had to use system restore after i've downloaded a piece of software that hasn't worked out & that i've deleted,but sometimes 'traces' of it are left . System restore will restore your pc to a point prior tothe download/install,
Ivan;)

houseworker
Oct-13-2015, 3:29am
Depending on how your PC is set up, it may already be creating restore points. A search for "restore point" in your Windows Help will point you at a lot of articles. Google is a good way to find wider resources. Put 'restore point Windows 7' - adapt to which version of Windows you use - and you'll find thousands of relevant links.

System restore isn't ideal in that it doesn't remove the software you've downloaded (it just stops it running). Your browser settings will need resetting manually.

It might be worth finding a local class on using a PC or buying an instruction book. Having a man come out each time you hit a problem isn't really economic.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-13-2015, 6:01am
System restore isn't ideal in that it doesn't remove the software you've downloaded (it just stops it running). Your browser settings will need resetting manually.

Actually that depends on how you're doing system restore. If there is the option to restore to the factory image, to in essence make it the way it was when it left the factory, that is the best answer, provided you have nothing on the machine that you want to keep. That will generally wipe the disk and image over everything thus giving you the cleanest way to start over.

houseworker
Oct-13-2015, 6:38am
Actually that depends on how you're doing system restore.

I was talking about restoring from a restore point as per the discussion. Without knowing a lot of info about the OP's PC, we don't know what other options might be available.

Petrus
Oct-13-2015, 7:34am
I've become very obsessive about backing up. I have two 500GB "Passport" external drives (one white, one black to tell them apart) -- cost about the same as a single 1TB drive but I think makes more sense in case of failure. I keep one or both hooked up and back up every day before shutting down for the night, sometimes more often if I did a lot of work that day. Helps me rest easier. They say if it's not backed up, you don't have it. Back up frequently and in multiple locations if possible. (If you have a desktop computer with a RAID it's easier.)

I had a very nice HP laptop totally brick up on me a few weeks ago. It started going blue DOS screen very frequently, then eventually just wouldn't boot up at all even after a dozen attempts. It was only about 5 years old. Right now I'm down to my backup, a 2008 Acer with (I think) Windows Vista. The DVD player died a few years ago (as did the one on the HP, strangely. One day it just decided it didn't want to recognize DVDs any more, even though it still worked for CDs.)

Computers are fickle and short-lived things and unless you have an Apple I in its original wooden case, always lose value over time. Which is why I collect mandolins instead. :grin:

Austin Bob
Oct-13-2015, 8:01am
Here's a good article about removing malware.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/243818/how_to_remove_malware_from_your_windows_pc.html

Petrus
Oct-14-2015, 9:23pm
I just discovered a down-side of backing up when one of your computers dies: Though I had copied my WavePad audio editing software and loaded it onto the replacement computer, it detected that it was on a different computer and refused to operate unless I repurchased an activation code. Apparently my original purchase of the software (on CD-ROM) is only good for a single computer.

I know this is pretty much the standard for software across the industry to counter piracy. Unfortunately they don't take into account what happens when your original computer dies with the purchased software on it. So I had to literally buy the same product I already owned again in order to use it on my current computer. Luckily it was only $49.

You don't really "own" anything digital. This is why I don't like eBooks and streaming music.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-15-2015, 1:29am
From Petrus - "Apparently my original purchase of the software (on CD-ROM) is only good for a single computer.".As you say,that's the industry standard to prevent the use of a single disc on more than one PC.Howevr,i've often wondered how companies that use 100's of PCs' go on.Are they able to purchase a wide based software package ?. BAE Systems whom i used to work for,had literally 100's of PC all using Windows XP. When my first PC 'died',i also had to purchase a second XP disc for my new one.
The single topic that's concerning a lot of folks world wide,is the forced download of Win.10 onto PC's that haven't requested the Win.10 - download / upgrade. Here's just one website :- http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/huge-problem-with-unwanted-windows-10-download.379049/,:(
Ivan~:>

Explorer
Oct-15-2015, 1:38am
Stringalong, I'm really hoping for a success story for you on this.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-15-2015, 7:30am
Not to get into this too deep but I do purchase Volume Licenses from Microsoft that allow you to put software and operating systems on multiple machines. With that said there are ways to install single software from Microsoft onto a machine after a failure, it can be done. You just have to know how to do it and it generally requires contact with Microsoft either via the web or a phone call and knowing what to say to them. With non-Microsoft software you're on your own.