PDA

View Full Version : Eastman 615 or Michael Kelly Legacy Elegante

powel1nj
Apr-26-2005, 7:57am
I know that recently there's been a lot of discussion on these instruments, especially eastman, but I was looking for a little input. I'm looking to get a new F-style and my price is around $1000-1200. These (Eastman 615 and MK Legacy Elegante) are the two that I've found that look the most promising. What do ya'll think? I know I'm not going to be getting the best instrument for that price but its what I can do right now. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for instruments in that range other than the two I mentioned? I'm open to whatever. One of my main concerns besides getting the best sound I can for the price is how well the mandolin will stay in tune. Drives me nuts when they go out! Anyway, would love to hear back from some of ya'll. Thanks.

Kbone
Apr-26-2005, 8:09am
Eastman hands down - trust me on it...

f5joe
Apr-26-2005, 8:42am
Eastman.

Apr-26-2005, 9:01am
Niether, you could buy a used Collings MT for very little more than the $1200 max you mention. You would be WAY ahead of the game if you did. There is a used Rigel A+ Deluxe on the classifieds for $1250 as we speak. Avoid the pittfalls of the entry level F.

legendarytones
Apr-26-2005, 9:02am
I have a Morgan Monroe MMS-5 that I am very impressed with. It is one of the best sounding/playing mandolins that I have ever picked. It is in the price range that you stated.

Onesound
Apr-26-2005, 9:27am
Ebay Michael Kelly (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10179&item=7316874487&rd=1)

Check out this nice looking MK on Ebay.
Cheers,
Brian

mpeknox
Apr-26-2005, 9:53am
Avoid the pittfalls of the entry level F.
Apparently you have never played or seen an Eastman 615. No comparison between them and other imports. My vote between the MK or Eastman is Eastman hands down.

PCypert
Apr-26-2005, 10:21am
Please heed the advice of others on the board. You will trully maximize if you go with a Rigel, etc. There are much better values out there for you than an import. The Eastmans if you have to, but seriously consider the why's.
Paul

Kbone
Apr-26-2005, 11:01am
Deepwood
*NO* pitfalls with the Eastman - I've owned mandolins at twice the cost that aren't as nice as the Eastman + I've played at least four of them .

Frank Russell
Apr-26-2005, 11:05am
I haven't played enough Eastmans to know if they are really consistent, but I just bought a 515 I am real happy with, and for way less than $1000. It beats the pants off of any Michael Kelly I have owned or played, and will stand up to most mandolins I have owned in the $1500 - $2000 range. Check out Buffalo Bros. in Carlsbad, CA. They usually have some listed on their website. That's where I got mine. It came with a Bobelock-style soft case that's excellent. Penny for penny, this is the best mando money I've spent in a long while. And yes, I have played some good American made mandos. My other mandolin right now is a Givens A6, and I've owned Webers, Flatirons, Gibsons, etc... Frank

Lane Pryce
Apr-26-2005, 11:18am
Without a doubt --- Eastman. Lp

John Flynn
Apr-26-2005, 11:22am
I have played both and I recommend Eastman, no question about it. Not even a horse race.

Onesound
Apr-26-2005, 11:48am
I've strummed a few of each and the Eastmans are quite a bit nicer, IMO. I suspect you would have to spend 2 or 3 times as much to get anything that sounded noticebly better or was better finished.

The more I ponder the decision the more I keep coming back to Eastman. There are a few domestics that I've identified in my search that I'd really love to own, but I just can not justify the considerable additional expense over an Eastman.

Cheers,
Brian

diamond ace
Apr-26-2005, 4:38pm
I will state for the record first that I do endorse Eastman Mandolins.

That being said up front. I bought TWO before I ever got an endorsement frome them. I have owned lots of mandolins and some very nice and very expensive over the years and still I like the Eastmans I'm playing now as good or better than the mandolins I paid 4 times as much for. I bought a 615 about 6 or 7 months ago and I love it.

click Here (http://www.geocities.com/gabriel_wiseman/page5.html) to hear sound samples of my 615 if you like.

Apr-26-2005, 5:12pm
I checked out your website Gabriel. I find the endorsement overdone with the words Eastman following the cursor. I've never seen other players of substance go to these extremes. Your endorsement seems a bit overzealous.

Kbone
Apr-26-2005, 5:25pm
Great Playing Gabriel ! I'd like to trade my Prucha a model for an Eastman F model - they're nice mandos..

diamond ace
Apr-26-2005, 5:26pm
Your right DeepWood. I think that is a little much. I may have been a little too excited when I first started building the web page. I was kind of eager to try all the "effects" you could add to the pages. I have taken your advice and removed the "text trail". Anyway, Thanks.

mingusb1
Apr-26-2005, 6:25pm
I had a 515 that was really nice for the money, but moved it in favor of a small-builder mando (3X the cost of the Eastman) that was played-in and for sale from a friend.

That said, that 515 was pretty sweet and I may someday regret selling it. #Additionally, I would not pay more money for back binding or other appointments such as on the 615. #Just play as many 515's as you can, and get the loudest one. #Should be less than 1K.

Z

metalmandolin
Apr-26-2005, 7:08pm
Eastman all the way. I would not personally buy anything else unless I was spending at least $5K. Then I'd be getting something made here that sounds like my Eastman 615http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
I also endorse Eastman, but I also bought my first one. I'll state this fact again...Why would I agree to play and endorse something junky just to get it for free?

Stillpicking
Apr-26-2005, 7:25pm
I own 2 MKs and I am happy with both, the deal is that you can get an MK "F" for about half of what you would pay for an Eastman "F".

Out of the box the Eastman might be slighly better but again it depends. You really need to try before you buy if you can, as each one that's made is different to one degree or another.

Yes I have played both (along with some very high end Gibsons, also owned a Gibson 1917 "A" at one point)and I really can't say that in general an Eastman "F" is worth paying twice the cost compared to an MK "F".

Listen to the advice here, but in the end play both and make up your own mind.

eastcarterman
Apr-26-2005, 9:02pm
my first mandolin was a 550 dollar mk. i thought it sounded good until i got my second mandolin, my eastman 615. it truly is amazing, many time better than the mk, hands down, and for less than 1300. it is eastman all the way!