PDA

View Full Version : A Big Thank You to all

slk
Sep-26-2015, 10:46am
Hey guys I am new here, and have posted several threads asking various questions about mandolins. You all have graciously answered them, and it is greatly appreciated.

I have something to admit... I have the Mandolin bug...Wholly Cow they are wonderful instruments. My playing is coming along. I am basically a guitar player, but wanted to learn something new. It is a challenge being so small but I am getting use to what you have to do to play clear notes. I am sure as time passes I will be here more and more asking questions.

Thanks Again
Steve

JEStanek
Sep-26-2015, 12:19pm
We're glad you're here and glad to help. Welcome.

Jamie

lflngpicker
Sep-26-2015, 1:21pm
He Steve, I get ya, man. Mandolins get into your DNA. We refer to that as MAS. It has reeked havoc on my guitar collection-- sold several guitars and amplifiers to acquire mandolins. Have fun and welcome aboard!

Timbofood
Sep-26-2015, 3:02pm
The cool thing is you can play one in the front seat of a 1968 VW Beetle and not disturb the driver!

UsuallyPickin
Sep-26-2015, 4:43pm
Welcome Steve .... many here started their mandolin journey on a guitar ... The biggest difference between the two is the fact that tuned in fifths instead of fourths with no B string all patterns and shapes are movable forms ie. If it works here it will work everywhere else ...... Also being tuned in fifths going up means it is in fourths going down so a I IV V VIm chord progression is literally right next door on the fingerboard .... Enjoy ,,, R/

Stacey Morris
Sep-26-2015, 8:47pm
Hi Steve and welcome.

I am new here as well, and am new to the mandolin. In fact, I am new to music. I have no background on guitar or any other instrument, but I really like playing the mandolin. I am learning a LOT here, and from some of the books recommended here. Like you, I greatly appreciate all the helpful advice here from experienced players. I have never seen a place where people are more welcoming to beginners.

Enjoy the transition to mandolin! What a beautiful little instrument.

darylcrisp
Sep-26-2015, 9:51pm
Hi Steve and welcome.

I am new here as well, and am new to the mandolin. In fact, I am new to music. I have no background on guitar or any other instrument, but I really like playing the mandolin. I am learning a LOT here, and from some of the books recommended here. Like you, I greatly appreciate all the helpful advice here from experienced players. I have never seen a place where people are more welcoming to beginners.

Enjoy the transition to mandolin! What a beautiful little instrument.

welcome Steve, and SOMorris

as others have mentioned, the DNA of this little friend gets in your blood. so much it can do, and its such a little fellow.
like others, i came from a guitar background-in fact, i just checked in on my guitar after 8 months of no playing it!

below is a link to a neat place to learn a lot-and the young man who runs it hangs out, and came up in the ranks on this forum.
its free, but a couple dollars each month can make sure it stays available.

http://www.mandolessons.com/

enjoy your time well spent on the MandolinCafe
d