PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rize vs Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers

MikeEdgerton
Sep-24-2015, 1:50pm
I know I should like Hot Rize more than Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers and honestly, I love them both but I have to admit I find Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers more entertaining. I am amazed at how talented these people are. They can switch back and forth effortlessly. In both persona they are a tight band even when it appears they are messing around. Tim O'Brien is one heck of an entertainer. If you've never seen them head over to Youtube. I want to catch them live the next time our trails cross.

Jim Hilburn
Sep-24-2015, 1:54pm
The Red Knuckles band understands the nuances of western swing in a way Hot Rize could never grasp. After all they only ever play 3 major chords.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-24-2015, 1:59pm
Pretty much. I just like the act.

terzinator
Sep-24-2015, 2:03pm
I always thought the Folksmen were more talented than Spinal Tap.

mandroid
Sep-24-2015, 3:30pm
A Mighty Wind vs Break like the Wind ?

journeybear
Sep-24-2015, 6:11pm
The key word is "entertaining." Hot Rize are good at what they do, even great, but they are playing it straight, pretty much. RK&TTB are an act as well as a band, and schtick is built into what they do. They back this up with excellent musicianship, without which they would just be an act. But doing what they do and the way how they do it, sure is entertaining. And then you add into it the patter not only during their set but during the transitions between the band changes - top notch all around. I haven't seen them in a longtime, and maybe just once or twice since Slade :cool: left the building (yes, that dates me), so I don't know how things go with their current lineup, but it sure was great back in them thar days. :mandosmiley:

Mandoplumb
Sep-24-2015, 6:38pm
This has been part of bluegrass as long as there has been BG. Don Reno was Chicken Hot Rod in the60's Not taking anything away from Hot Rise just remembering

Randi Gormley
Sep-24-2015, 8:45pm
I have to admit to the same preference. I love Hot Rize, but they seem to be slightly formal compared with Red Knuckles. Not to mention the guitar with the fringe. RK and crew seem to have more fun on stage and they invite you to laugh while you admire the musicianship. Hot Rize will blow you away with their ability, but -- well, it's just not the same.

djeffcoat
Sep-24-2015, 9:15pm
I first saw HR and RK & TTB over 30 years ago when the great Sawtelle was alive. After a weekend of solid bluegrass, Red and the Boys were a welcomed change. Those guys were and are consummate professionals.

Spruce
Sep-24-2015, 10:35pm
I love it that they hate each other... ;)

There's an Austin City Limits where two of the HR guys are glaring at the other two from RK as they pass each other coming offstage/onstage...
Hilarious stuff...

delsbrother
Sep-26-2015, 12:54am
Two words: Electric Table.

J.Albert
Sep-28-2015, 5:35pm
I miss Slade...

journeybear
Sep-28-2015, 5:39pm
Somewhere I have a Slade T-shirt. The black-on-black one. SO cool ... :cool:

Two words: Electric Table.

Now and then I use that delectable description when introducing the members of my seasonal Cajun-country-bluegrass band. Our pedal steel player is unfamiliar with the term, so I don't do it every time. :whistling:

jim simpson
Sep-28-2015, 6:42pm
I can't believe Hot Rize lets that other band ride with them on the bus!

We are extremely proud of homeboy Tim O'Brien and always look forward to when he comes to town.

Dacapo
Sep-29-2015, 5:29pm
Red Knuckles only steps up his game if Elmo Otto is around ;-)

EdSherry
Sep-29-2015, 5:53pm
I was playing at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (Jazz Fest) back in about 1988. I got to talking with a thin medium-height redheaded fellow near the Cajun stage. He asked me if I'd heard of Hot Rize, and I told him that I had and liked their music but that I preferred Red Knuckles and their "old electric" music. Turned out he was Tim O'Brien. He asked me to introduce him to Michael Doucet and Beausoleil, which I was able to do. (I used to sit in with Beausoleil when they played the Maple Leaf Bar in New Orleans. That was just before they hit it really big.)