PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a cafe

F-2 Dave
Sep-23-2015, 8:13am
A couple of months ago a small local cafe that the Mrs and I liked to frequent came up for sale. After long consideration, we decided to take the plunge. The Route 32 Cafe is located on MO 32 in the heart of beautiful downtown Halfway, MO.

We're open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I keep a mandolin, fiddle, and a guitar down there, so if you're in the area, stop by, have a cup of coffee and we'll pick a few.

Dave

DougC
Sep-23-2015, 8:19am
I have a friend who just opened a coffee shop near University of Minnesota. We are talking about a regular music night. It looks like a lot of fun. All the best from 'up here'.

Doug

Richard J
Sep-23-2015, 8:23am
what "coffee shop near University of Minnesota" would that be?

DougC
Sep-23-2015, 8:47am
Not sure of the name yet. But it is located across from the Humphrey Institute by the new dormitories and Seven Corners. Our bass player's dad (who is my age, ha, ha), just bought the place. I'll let you know if we get any music going.

EdHanrahan
Sep-23-2015, 8:56am
... stop by, have a cup of coffee and we'll pick a few.

That's right neighborly; I can hear you grinnin' from here. Best of luck!

Josh Levine
Sep-23-2015, 8:56am
My brother has a micro roaster is St. Louis called Blueprint, you should check out his beans! All single origin. Very tasty stuff.

Russ Jordan
Sep-23-2015, 9:11am
best of luck with the cafe!

JEStanek
Sep-23-2015, 9:16am
Good luck!

Jamie

journeybear
Sep-23-2015, 12:26pm
Congratulations, Dave! :mandosmiley: Good luck with it! And if I'm ever more than halfway to Halfway, I'll stop in. ;)

Have you given any thought to renaming it? Something like the F-2 Café? Or the Mandolin Café? :confused: :grin: :whistling:

OldSausage
Sep-23-2015, 4:11pm
Certainly a great fun way to dispose of any unwanted money quickly. Good luck!

Explorer
Sep-23-2015, 4:43pm
Apparently this is what happens when someone gets mixed up about Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome on the Cafe.

I do look forward to hearing a success story, and even to details about your next CAS story.

Bernie Daniel
Sep-23-2015, 5:15pm
Very cool -- sounds like a challenging endeavor -- good luck!

DougC
Sep-23-2015, 5:19pm
Congratulations, Dave! :mandosmiley: Good luck with it! And if I'm ever more than halfway to Halfway, I'll stop in. ;)

Have you given any thought to renaming it? Something like the F-2 Café? Or the Mandolin Café? :confused: :grin: :whistling:

I get asked all the time about my Mandolin Cafe hat.

They say, "Where is that?" I could tell them it's in Halfway MO.

F-2 Dave
Sep-23-2015, 5:20pm
Certainly a great fun way to dispose of any unwanted money quickly. Good luck!

Actually, being open three days a week should allow us to run twice as long as we could going six days a week, before running out of money.

Londy
Sep-23-2015, 5:26pm
certainly a great fun way to dispose of any unwanted money quickly. Good luck!

ouch! ~:>

F-2 Dave
Sep-23-2015, 5:31pm

Sorry, the name remains the same. Route 32, because it's on MO 32. Halfway, because we're halfway between Bolivar and Buffalo.
We try to keep it simple around here. F-2 Cafe would be cool though, but there's already an F-2 Cattle Company locally. (I don't know, maybe they're shorter necked cows more suited for old time than bluegrass)

Stacey Morris
Sep-23-2015, 8:41pm
Good luck on your new venture, Dave.

Kevin Stueve
Sep-23-2015, 8:49pm
I've been halfway to Halfway Missouri. I just didn't know I was halfway there woah oh, living on a prayer (sorry I couldn't resist)

journeybear
Sep-23-2015, 9:08pm
Enjoy every sandwich at the Route 32 Café! (https://www.google.com/maps/@37.616433,-93.243211,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s100580651!2e1!3e10!6s%2F%2Fsto rage.googleapis.com%2Fstatic.panoramio.com%2Fphoto s%2Fsmall%2F100580651.jpg!7i2448!8i1598) :grin:

F-2 Dave
Sep-24-2015, 7:59am
Thanks everyone. It has been a lot of fun, and work so far. If you can't visit in person, you can visit our Facebook page, Route 32 Cafe.

Coffee Guy
Sep-24-2015, 9:32am
Good Luck to you sir! My wife and I own a Coffee House in Welches Oregon, at the foot of Mt. Hood. I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world. It is great fun. Work all the time, but I do it for myself. It is great to have a positive impact on the community. We are going to be setting up some jams soon. Congratulations!

MikeEdgerton
Sep-24-2015, 10:36am
Good Luck to you sir! My wife and I own a Coffee House in Welches Oregon, at the foot of Mt. Hood.

Which one?

Caleb
Sep-24-2015, 10:44am
The OP didn't ask for advice, but I put this out FWIW as someone who has gone to lots of restaurants.

The best thing any restaurant can do to succeed (even more important than great food) is to have clean restrooms. Most of the restaurants I will never go back to got this wrong. Super clean restrooms were one of the main reasons that McDonald's got as big as it did back in the day (they originally had attendants to clean up after every person).

Sub-par food can be forgiven; unclean restrooms, never.

Good luck, F-2.

Coffee Guy
Sep-24-2015, 10:51am
Which one? Coffee House 26. www.coffeehouse26.com

Timbofood
Sep-24-2015, 11:05am
Once again I am in agreement with Caleb, cleanliness is paramount! Some saloons can get away with less than optimum appearance but, a sticky floor is nasty no matter where it is.
My only other thought is keep the menu within reason, don't try to do things that are not cost effective just because they are trendy.
Do simple things well, be reasonably priced and enjoy the business! How big is the place? There's a little place just north of here who has had the "Lonesome Moonlight Trio" playing Wednesday and Saturday for almost twenty five years! The place is always busy! The guys play for breakfast and tips. All three are fine musicians and make breakfast most enjoyable!
I wish you the best of luck!

DataNick
Sep-24-2015, 11:40am
Congrats Dave!

MikeEdgerton
Sep-24-2015, 12:31pm
Coffee House 26. www.coffeehouse26.com

I believe we in your place at the end of June. I was born and raised in Oregon. I was actually shocked at how developed Welches is now. It has certainly changed in the 30 some years I've been gone. Welcome to the cafe.

Coffee Guy
Sep-24-2015, 2:53pm
I believe we in your place at the end of June. I was born and raised in Oregon. I was actually shocked at how developed Welches is now. It has certainly changed in the 30 some years I've been gone. Welcome to the cafe.
Yes it sure has, my wife and I both grew up here on the mountain. we took over January 1st 2015. I am glad you came in thats neat! we are almost to the one year mark.

tiltman
Sep-24-2015, 2:59pm
Hey Dave,

Thanks for explaining why the town is called Halfway. My grandparents had a farm for many years near the town of Midway, MO (not much more than a truckstop...) but that name makes sense - Midway is located halfway between Kansas City and St. Louis. I looked at the map and couldn't figure out what Halfway is halfway between!

Good luck with the Café - sounds like an adventure for sure.

Kirk
Portland, OR

tiltman
Sep-24-2015, 3:03pm
Hey Coffee Guy,

My bluegrass band - Lost Creek - has played at the crab boil in Welches for the last 2 years (held in Feb.). I'll look for your shop the next time we're up that way.

Kirk
Portland, OR

DHopkins
Sep-24-2015, 7:16pm
Food and music. Perfect combination!! Good luck.