PDA

View Full Version : A-model mandolin but with two "strange" F-holes.

GreatGuitars
Sep-15-2015, 4:35am
Hello Folks,

I'm from Europe and a guitar player but with interest in the
mandolin as well. Mostly I'm more into the old Italian bowl back
mandolins of which here still are a lot around here in Europe
and sometimes very nice examples.

Yesterday I was able to by a flatback mandolin at an auction
though I must say not only the top is curved, the back as well.
Strangely enough no spruce for the soundboard as far as I can
see but good materials and good craftsmanship and probably
a one of a kind from an individual luthier, I just don't know.

That's why my question comes in: Does anybody recognize this
shape of "F" holes or even more desirable: Knows something about
the maker of this good sounding instrument. Nice ring, good sustain,
even sound between the string pairs, lively tone and lots of volume!

Interesting anyway to take a look or visit www.mandolins.blogspot.com
and search for "hand carved mandolin.

Thanks a lot for taking notice!

MikeEdgerton
Sep-15-2015, 8:25am
Most likely German. That headstock matches some Hoffner mandolin headstocks. Both Hoffner and Framus built mandolins (and guitars) with odd F-hole shapes as if they were trying to redefine what they should look like.

Bob A
Sep-15-2015, 4:55pm
I agree with German. I'd consider the possibility that the top and back might have been shaped by steam in a mold, rather than being carved. The process was used rather extensively to make violins as well as mandolins, and doubtless other instruments as well.

Graham McDonald
Sep-15-2015, 5:12pm
Those odd little tick shaped sound holes suggest a Cremona model 545, built in Luby (previously called Schonbach) in western Czechoslovakia. They were made from patterns left the old Hofner factory in Luby/Schonbach by the Hofner folks when they headed west to Bavaria in 1945. The Hofner models were certainly mahogany faced plywood and used elongated teardrop or cats-eye shaped soundholes, but were otherwise very similar but were otherwise very similar to the Cremona versions. Cremona was a (Czechoslovak) state owned manufacturer/ distributor based in Luby from the late 40s until the mid-60s when it was absorbed into the single state owned music company.

Cheers

MikeEdgerton
Sep-15-2015, 5:20pm
More similar mandolinsl (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?87882-Which-Hofner-mandolin).

GreatGuitars
Sep-22-2015, 7:01am
Hello to everyone and especially Graham,

Thanks a lot for taking notice and somewhere else on this forum they even give a nice link with beautiful pictures of this mandolin.
Stammt aus dem Haus Bräuer aus Schönbach. Some nice pictures at http://schoenbach.webnode.cz/photoga.../#dsc-7470-jpg.

Good-sounding laminated tops using exotic wood, carved headstocks, carved bridges made of rosewood (top) and ebony (bottom), flamed wood for the necks, often no labels inside.

all the best to you,

Noud Koevoets (GreatGuitars)

Bertram Henze
Sep-22-2015, 7:18am
The link to Schönbach is not working. This one works (http://schoenbach.webnode.cz/photogallery/cremona/brauer/#dsc-7470-jpg).

What I find most intriguing is that adjustable bridge that looks like a compensated one from afar without actually being one.