PDA

View Full Version : Gibson TL1 tenor lute string gauge

Taylor and Tenor
Sep-13-2015, 7:46pm
I have 1923/24 Gibson TL1 tenor lute that I want start playing it again now that I found a set of replacement tuners for it. I would like to tune the four string instrument to GDAE. I have various sets of tenor guitar, tenor banjo and octave mandolin strings available to choose from.

The instrument is basically a tenor guitar with a Gibson mandola body and banjo neck. The sound produced is marginal at best which is why it was never a big seller. According to a Gibson representative I spoke with 40 years ago told me only 89 were made. I use to play it but it would go out of tune about a half way through the second fiddle tune.

In any event, the scale length is approximately 21 1/2 inches. I want keep the pressure on the top of this old instrument to a minimum. Any suggestions as to a starting point would be helpful.

BradKlein
Sep-13-2015, 10:08pm
I think the arched top of the tenor lute can take the pressure of pretty much whatever 4 strings you choose. I suspect that it's more likely that the neck would bow before the top would suffer.

allenhopkins
Sep-13-2015, 11:18pm
If you want to tune it GDAE I'd try octave mandolin strings (I assume you're tuning it an octave below a mandolin). I have mine tuned CGDA with what are basically tenor banjo strings.

The instrument, strung as I have it, sounds clear, but a bit "thin." I use it off and on in a mandola role, and it's fine for that, depending on the amount of volume needed.

Taylor and Tenor
Sep-18-2015, 10:05am
The instrument sounds fine with a set of D'addario J631 .012-.036 Irish banjo strings tuned to GDAE. Along with a set of new German tuners from Smakula Instruments to keep them in tune. Not a lot of pressure on the top and a very mellow sound which what I wanted for solo picking of Irish fiddle tunes. So I'm all set for Monday night's kitchen session instead of my usual tenor guitar.

Thanks for the two replies.