PDA

View Full Version : Transposing a song in TablEdit

Darren
Mar-03-2004, 10:05am
I am attempting to change the key of Salty Dog in TablEdit from A to G. Can someone tell me how to do this please?

Thanks
Darren

Rich
Mar-03-2004, 10:59am
This may be of little use, but when I run into this problem I veiw it as a learning experience and transpose it myself. I do this by learning the song in the given key, then working it out myself in the one I need it in. This doesn't alway work very well if there is any crosspicking with open strings in the orginal tab because those are pretty key specific but it worked out well for me on a couple tunes so far. Good luck!
Rich

Dfyngravity
Mar-03-2004, 12:14pm
Here is a way to transpose from A to G or from any other key to another. I hope this helps some.

David Horovitz
Mar-03-2004, 12:49pm
If you're asking how to get TablEdit to do this automatically, you need to choose the Partition menu and select Transpose. Then change the interval count to -2 (to transpose from A to G would be lowering the key by two semitones). Make sure you select the entire range of measures in the tune, so it transposes everything.

Hope that helps.

fiddle5
Mar-04-2004, 10:43am
Just look at the far left where the music staff begins, there are 3 sharp symbols (#) to indicate the the Key of A, simply remove two of them so you are left with 1 symbol to represent the Key of G. the notes will remain the same , but this is the reason we all love Standard Notation, cause its so easy to transpose keys or to other instruments. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

But if you're a student of Tab...I'm terrably sorry... this would have to be a awfully long and labourious post. But it might be simple to find a beginner student of Notation to show how to to simply move all your Cs and Gs down by one half step (that means a fret for Tab people).

You should be to do this on the fly, as key of G should be the second scale that you learned as a newbie. This should work for any key if you have learned those horrible scale things.

mike http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Mar-05-2004, 5:48pm
Of course, you really don't want to transpose by just changing the symbol for the key signature. That just changes the pitch of one or more notes and doesn't maintain the relative intervals...