PDA

View Full Version : G string issues

ashemando
Apr-24-2005, 9:20am
I continue to seek the perfect G string(on a mando that is!)
I am looking for a string for my Parsons F5. I find the Monroes too "thick" for most reliable chording. Light guage
GHS G's and other light guages sound too thin and metallic.
D'darrio J74's are a nice fit in general but still have a
metallic set of overtones not pleasing to my ear. Have tried the Tomastiks on another instrument-don't think so.

So I seek a full sounding "dry" toned G string which gives the sound heard on the first four notes played by Bill Monroe on his recording of Dusty Miller. No I don't have a Loar, but a pretty good ear for subtle differences in tone.
Any suggestions for that perfect G string?

futrconslr
Apr-24-2005, 8:07pm
you might try to silk and steel or silk and bronze. They tend to be a little dryer on my instrument

Michael Lewis
Apr-25-2005, 1:29am
It may take a different mandolin.

Flowerpot
Apr-25-2005, 1:04pm
Have you tried letting the J74's age for a few weeks? Over time, a "distressed" set of phos-bronze strings lose a lot of metallic sound. Or eat some greasy finger food before you play.

Or, it may take a different mandolin, if your ear is good at detecting minor tone differences.

Apr-25-2005, 4:56pm
The Sam Bush are steel. Good strings with a good sound. They are also a Gibson made string.

groveland
Apr-25-2005, 5:18pm
I have the same issue with round-wounds in general, not just J74's or phosphor bronze. They may all have a great open-string sound, but don't fret so well, so voicings of jazz chords and upper-register scales get that unpleasant 'thung'. A good remedy for this, depending on your playing style, might simply be flat-wound strings. I was very pleased with JazzMando JM11's - I put them on my Rigel, and they fret beautifully in all positions and have a wonderfully balanced tone. Open strings ring well, too.

ashemando
Apr-25-2005, 5:30pm
How would these perform for bluegrass?

groveland
Apr-25-2005, 5:38pm
Alas, that is the trade-off: What you gain in 'balance' you will lose in raw open string twang. I will defer to the hardcore bluegrassers on this one.

Aran
May-17-2005, 3:43am
I agree with PGAfan790

I put the Sam Bush Gibson strings on a couple of months back and it sounded great.

I didn't want to stop playing that G string.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Tim Saxton
May-17-2005, 1:46pm
I would try the LaBella Steel strings in medium gauge. They are much better than Bush strings(imho). They come in "normal" guages. No odd sizes.

Tom C
May-17-2005, 2:00pm
Mine keeps riding a little high http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

legendarytones
May-18-2005, 4:47am
Just let them be on there awhile till the new wears off, and they will have that dry-woody tone. I usually practice about 3-4 hours per day, and it takes a week for me to get the "new" played off a set of strings after putting them on. Only then do they start sounding right to me ear.

futrconslr
May-18-2005, 1:37pm
I use the Monroe set. I like em better than the bush or the 74s. I leave them on a LONG time (working on 4 months)they start sounding good after a month, excellent from 2 months on. It appears they die at about the 4 month mark though as its almost time for a new set. At least to my ears.