PDA

View Full Version : Strings for elec. mando ?

Loubrava
Aug-27-2015, 8:48pm
Just bought a a Godin A8 from from some who bought it new & stuck it in closet for about 8 years. I want get some new strings on it and not sure what type to buy. Right now the g string is real muffled not a good bass tone at all. Amplified or plugged in sounds the same. Don't know what's on there but there brass color not nickel.
Thanks

mandroid
Aug-29-2015, 11:58am
Canadien Godin buys pickup pieces from RMC , in Berkeley Cal . perhaps the electrical connection
of the piezo bridge piece under the 2 G strings is not working as it should?

Being a Piezo electric source the vibration of the string is what makes the electric signal .

Godin uses the same types of pickups from RMC on the Nylon string guitars .

So perhaps an electric problem? all 4 pickups are soldered to the Volume and tone control circuit Board ..

On a More Basic thought ... when have you last replaced the 9v battery? :whistling:

Bruce Clausen
Aug-29-2015, 4:28pm
But if the sound is the same plugged and unplugged then it isn't likely to be an electronic problem. Could be the old strings, or an instrument issue. You could troubleshoot by trying any G string at all to see if it vibrates freely. If it does, fine. But if the new string gives the same muffled sound (both open and fretted), it's probably a bridge saddle problem.

Since it's a piezo system, bronze strings are fine.

Loubrava
Aug-29-2015, 7:10pm
Thanks guys, I bought some j74 phosphorus bronze strings. Problem fixed ! I played with the band today (drums, bass elec guitar) and I was impressed (so we're my band mates) with the tone of the A8 through a loud box. The thing rocks from soft tremolo to honking chords it really shined I'm quite happy with it so far. It's a different sound then my Loar 600 for sure and at first I really wasn't happy with the A8 sound when trying it out at home but with the band it works great, blended in perfect with the country rock/roots music we play. I think because of the type of instrument it is it can never project like an acoustic where you get that crisp airy sound so the G string still doesn't sound as good as the Loar. The hammer ons on the G string aren't as pronounced the mids & highs seem like its strong suit but I'm sure the more I play around with the settings it will get better.

zedmando
Aug-29-2015, 9:08pm
Ask Godin--they should be able to tell you, or it might even be on their website.

mandolinstew
Aug-29-2015, 10:25pm
Someone else had a Godin pickup problem not long ago,I think it was resolved here.I like Thomastik light gauge on mine.

mandroid
Aug-30-2015, 12:21pm
The pickup works better with after the bridge downforce increased.. when I had my Godin, Fixed bridge ,

I was frequently knocking the top G string off into the swale in the saddle
between the strings..

with the Adjustable bridge Perhaps you can crank it up Higher
and adjust the neck angle with shims and the 4 screws

holding the neck on .

shim(washers around the screws) between the body and the neck,
is how I lowered the Action on mine..

Loubrava
Aug-30-2015, 7:52pm
[QUOTE=mandroid;1427854]The pickup works better with after the bridge downforce increased.. when I had my Godin, Fixed bridge ,

I was frequently knocking the top G string off into the swale in the saddle
between the strings..

Thanks for the tip, but this is an older model no adjustable bridge. I was playing it pretty hard at times never knocked G string off yet. I'll leave the shiming/set up to a pro I'm gonna get some more playing time with band in first and see how it goes. The action seems OK I really don't have enough experience to much more than it plays OK and no buzzing anywhere & intonation is spot on. I'd like to play another A8 and see how the sound on it, the only comparison I have is to the Loar 600 and as I said I don't believe any A8 would stack up to an good sounding acoustic mando.