PDA

View Full Version : Gibson A2 - number 61692 or 62692

Ron McMillan
Aug-27-2015, 2:57am
I've finally received a fixer-upper Gibson A2 that I purchased from Colorado a few months ago. The seller said he thought it was a 1917.

The label is intact, but the serial number is a little smudged. From a photograph put into Photoshop and the contrast increased, I'm pretty certain the serial number is either 61692 or 62692. At the moment I'm unable to get a look for a FON number - that will probably have to wait until my luthier gets the back off it to make some repairs.

Can anyone point me to a date for either of these two serial numbers?

[Edited later: with a flashlight and a mirror, I got a good look at the head block, which appears to have nothing stamped on it. Is the FON, if it exists, going to be there, or might it be elsewhere?]

F-2 Dave
Aug-27-2015, 8:06am
Looks like 61692 to me. I did a little searching in the archive. Your's could be as late as 1920. Sometimes (but not always) the serial number can be found written in pencil on the under side of the bridge. She's a beauty. Classic teens Gibson

Ron McMillan
Aug-27-2015, 8:28am
Thanks for the tip about the underside of the bridge, Dave, but unfortunately there's nothing written there. I got this when I launched a search for an old A that was too damaged to be financially worthwhile repairing in the USA (where the repair costs would have taken the total cost well over the resulting instrument's value). I think I got lucky, in part because I managed to get friends in the USA and in Bangkok to help to get it to me in Thailand at no further cost. It was damaged in a flood, so needs some work; with the low cost of luthier work where I am, I hope to come out of this with a great player - certainly not a collector's piece - for well under $600. Fingers crossed.....