PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else want one of these?

Timbofood
Aug-14-2015, 11:18am
Sam Bush had one, I want one and a birthday is coming soon!137265

Any ideas where I might find one?
Oh, size large if anyone wants to send one:grin:

Nathan Kellstadt
Aug-14-2015, 12:01pm
Unfortunately you seldom see these available.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-14-2015, 12:06pm
Unfortunately you seldom see these available.

Correct, they are seldom seen.

Timbofood
Aug-14-2015, 1:59pm
Oh, Miiiike!

MikeEdgerton
Aug-14-2015, 2:49pm
Hey, you started this thread! :cool:

JH Murray
Aug-14-2015, 3:35pm
It must be a custom reprint. The only Duffey tshirt I found had this classic image: 137270

Timbofood
Aug-14-2015, 3:45pm
But, you started the bad jokes.
Haven't we scene enough?
Sorry, it was just laying there.

Yep, that's one I have noticed before. I laugh every time I see that shot.

Notice Mike, I didn't use scene there:grin:
I seldom use it unless it's called for, ;)

MikeEdgerton
Aug-14-2015, 4:36pm
But, you started the bad jokes.
Haven't we scene enough?
Sorry, it was just laying there.

Yep, that's one I have noticed before. I laugh every time I see that shot.

Notice Mike, I didn't use scene there:grin:
I seldom use it unless it's called for, ;)

I did not start the bad jokes, nkellstadt did. His was subtle but it was there.

Spruce
Aug-14-2015, 5:37pm
was subtle but it was there.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, does that mean it is a duck?

MikeEdgerton
Aug-14-2015, 5:53pm
What the duck? I was trying to work that in there. :)

sblock
Aug-14-2015, 6:33pm
What the duck? I was trying to work that in there. :)

As Groucho Marx asked, "Viaduct?!"

Timbofood
Aug-14-2015, 8:22pm
If it looks like a duck maybe it's Duffey?
But that's irrelevant.
No it's a rhinoceros
But, that comes later (or earlier) in the movie.
I once shot an elephant in my pajamas, how he got in my pajamas I will never know. Capt. Spaulding (but that's another movie)

Daysleeper
Aug-15-2015, 10:07am
Of course, in Alabama the Tuscaloosa.

Willie Poole
Aug-15-2015, 10:42am
My grandson is in the tee shirt printing business maybe he can blow that picture up and make one, I`ll check with him and see what he do with it...The price won`t be cheap though, I have to get my cut...AHEM...

BTW, That isn`t a good likeness of Duffey in my opinion.....

Willie

Timbofood
Aug-15-2015, 10:49am
Likeness maybe not, caricature...I think dandy! Smoke and adult beverage, it just doesn't show the cup holder he had on his mic stand for a G&T in hot weather. I think it's a great tribute piece!
Aw, Willie.... My birthday is next week!;)

journeybear
Aug-15-2015, 11:51am
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, does that mean it is a duck?

Not necessarily ... :whistling:

Timbofood
Aug-15-2015, 1:08pm
OK JB, you can send me that for my birthday! I will just think of the shirt!
Two points for you!

journeybear
Aug-16-2015, 8:27am
Sorry, pal, not for sale. But if I sell my Blue Chip pick, I'd have enough money for three T-shirts. ;)

Timbofood
Aug-16-2015, 10:10am
Aw, gee!
You own a duck, cool. If I ever get to your neck of the woods (keys) I want to look it over.
I have this little gnawing need to make one, I have almost no wood working talent, I can screw up a box! But, I just think a duck would be fun to own.
Hey, one can only hope that a benefactor is out there and might see my addiction to this interesting musical instrument field. A Halsey F-5 and a Duck would be a big enough string for my stable.

journeybear
Aug-16-2015, 10:34am
I ain't got no duck! That's Duffey's Duck - not sure who's got it, but I'll bet it's not for sale. ;) Neither is my BC pick. I have it on loan, on spec. I really should return it. I'll never use it, not at a gig anyway. :whistling:

No ducks here, though. Plenty of chickens, though, running wild, noisy as the dickens, these chickens, and foul in many ways. We've got ibises, cranes, herons, mockingbirds, blackbirds, seagulls, mourning doves, pigeons - but no ducks.

And why a duck? Why not try something different, like a goose? "Look at them moose goosers. Ain't they recluse?" That would be different. :D But either wouldn't suit me. I'm just fine with my A models and their classy classic form. Those other "innovative" shapes ... whatever it is, I'm against it! :))

Steve Sorensen
Aug-16-2015, 10:39am
I believe Akira Otsuka (after years of monumental effort) was able to collect all of John Duffy's mandolins.

You can listen to them HERE (http://www.amazon.com/First-Tear-Akira-Otsuka/dp/B0076XTD66/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439739663&sr=8-1&keywords=first+tear+akira+otsuka).

Steve

Timbofood
Aug-16-2015, 1:20pm
I thought you were an "A" man!
Check out the link Steve posted, Akira Otsuka does indeed have the real ducks. I still think one would be fun but, the short is as close to one as I might ever get unless I make it and I have already acknowledged my lack of "craftsman like" skills.

Phil Goodson
Aug-16-2015, 4:57pm
I had a conversation with Akira at IBMA last year and unless I misunderstood, I believe that he has the "Duck-2" that Duffy made for him as well as Duffy's F-12.
But I don't think he owns Duffy's own Duck (Duck-1). I'm not sure where it is. I think Akira told me where it is, but I just can't remember what he said.

He had the F-12 with him at IBMA and was kind enough to let me play it for a while. It still sounds very nice, ... and strong!

Timbofood
Aug-17-2015, 1:19pm
Thanks Phil,
I thought he had both ducks, I did remember he had the F-12.

delsbrother
Aug-17-2015, 7:05pm
My grandson is in the tee shirt printing business maybe he can blow that picture up and make one, I`ll check with him and see what he do with it...The price won`t be cheap though, I have to get my cut...AHEM...

BTW, That isn`t a good likeness of Duffey in my opinion.....

Willie

Not sure if you (or anyone) is being serious, but nowadays custom t shirt printing is super cheap and super easy - you can do it yourself online with no minimum orders. Google custom tshirt printing and a whole mess of sites will, uh, pop up. :)

Bill Snyder
Aug-18-2015, 12:01am
Copyright 1982 Banjo Package Press and Nancy Duffey and Acoustic Morning 1997.
Maybe get someone else to do a caricature with a similar inspired theme and you could print and sell them to your hearts content.
The Mandolin Cafe Classifieds would be a possible online venue for selling them.

delsbrother
Aug-18-2015, 1:28am
My suggestion was not intended for a commercial venture, but technically, Bill is correct. Some online tshirt printers will not print copyrighted designs as well.

Timbofood
Aug-18-2015, 5:15am
Leave it to me to want a thirty year old t-shirt,
Honestly, I don't want an approximation, I want the real thing. Copyright laws exist for a very good reason.

JH Murray
Aug-18-2015, 7:50am
I sincerely doubt Sam Bush is wearing a 30 year old shirt. Doesn't someone on this forum know someone who knows someone who can ask Sam where he got it? Banjo Package Press is no longer in business, and I believe Mrs. Duffey has passed away, so not sure who hold the rights today.

journeybear
Aug-18-2015, 10:07am
Have you tried eBay?

delsbrother
Aug-18-2015, 10:57am
I sincerely doubt Sam Bush is wearing a 30 year old shirt. Doesn't someone on this forum know someone who knows someone who can ask Sam where he got it? Banjo Package Press is no longer in business, and I believe Mrs. Duffey has passed away, so not sure who hold the rights today.

Hm. That would be one for the attorneys to tell us. If all the rights holders are no longer around, does it pass into PD after X number of years?

My sense of "real" has taken a beating in this digital age. I often search for old images on eBay, even buying some. It didn't take long for me to realize I got almost as much pleasure out of looking at the digital image onscreen (watermarks and all) as I did looking at a worn and faded original print. Obviously the "real" one was always better, but usually not by a whole lot. Of course eBay is also full of scoundrels who'll sell you a digital image as an original (I've had an image I've found and posted online be offered for sale as an original), but that's another kettle of fish.

Isaac Revard
Aug-19-2015, 10:10am
quick 5 mins on adobe photoshop.

Timbofood
Aug-19-2015, 3:20pm
Zeek, my birthday is in a week!:grin:

Isaac Revard
Aug-19-2015, 6:54pm
Zeek, my birthday is in a week!:grin:

oh yeah, its in the mail!:mandosmiley:

Timbofood
Aug-19-2015, 7:08pm
How fortuitous!
Thanks Zeek! It will be a grand celebration wearing it!;)
A Boonzaaijer cake, nice slab of cow, fresh green beans, a couple of buddies helping me make a new cypress deck for my grills!
This might just be one for the books!

Excellent Vonnegut quote by the way:grin: