PDA

View Full Version : Any mod. recommendations for an entry level mandolin?

Harpua19
Aug-10-2015, 4:59pm
I have a 10 year old Michael Kelly Legacy FS that has been a decent starter axe for me. I'm currently saving up for an upgrade (probably a Weber), but that will take a year or so. In the mean time, does anyone have any recommendations for tweaking the MK? New bridge or tailpiece or anything that might help dial it up a little? I'm aware that many will probably say it's not worth the trouble; however, I would welcome the opportunity to tinker with it and learn more about the instrument. That way, I'm not learning (i.e breaking stuff) on my next, more expensive mandolin.

Thanks in advance!

EdSherry
Aug-10-2015, 5:10pm
If you don't have a ToneGard, I'd recommend that as the best "instant" improvement in instrument tone/volume, if you hold the instrument against your body. A plus is that you can use it with your next instrument as well.

The next most commonly recommended upgrade is a better bridge, well-fit to the instrument. The Cumberland Acoustics bridges come highly recommended (though I personally don't have any experience with them). You can try to fit it yourself (using Rob Meldrum's e-book on mandolin setup), but you might want to find a luthier to do it.

MysTiK PiKn
Aug-10-2015, 5:36pm
Get into the setup stuff if you are at all interested in that. There are many "little things" you can do to at least check it's initial condition/setup. I don't know the starting point, can't see it. Rob Meldrum's ebook is highly recommended - email him, it's free, and he's a member here - easy "Search" to find.

You need some basic tools, not much really. I use a separate small tool box; it's my 'repair kit', so all the things are need are in one place, ready to "do" whatever. I had a lot of setup to do on mine; and I enjoyed what I learned in the process.

More info can be found reading the 'Builders Forum' here.
= Couple of reference links, with more info than you will ever use: also lots of pix, diagrams, technique, general approach, etc. You can look up specific info, or get lost in the reading, whatever. The info in those sites is highly technical, based on years of experience.

www.frets.com
www.lutherie.net

You might not need or want that info. Your mando is likely already well setup. But if you have the know how, it's often easy to improve things. That translates into playability and enjoyment. It can save money too; while you save for a bigger better mando in the future. Use what you have to learn all you can. It's all related. Even if you don't do the work; you will be able to speak the language, which will enhance communication and understanding.

Enjoy. It's mainly about having fun. ;)

Mandoplumb
Aug-10-2015, 7:15pm
All these little things will help but the fact is if you do any or all it will improve the mandolin as much a you think it has which is good enough for a starter mandolin.

allenhopkins
Aug-10-2015, 9:32pm
Whatever you're thinking of spending on upgrades to the MK, put that money toward that Weber.

Then, after you get the better instrument, you can start "tweaking" the MK. However, tweaking a sow's ear doesn't produce a silk purse. Well, I realize I'm being a bit overly cruel toward the Kelly, which has been at least serviceable for you.

Putting significant $$$ into a ten-year-old starter mandolin won't get you as much of a return, as applying the significant $$$ to purchase of a better instrument, IMHO. However, you could plop for a Tone Gard, which you could use on the Weber when you buy it. I wouldn't do it; I'd put the $75 toward the Weber.

Harpua19
Aug-10-2015, 10:09pm
Thanks for the input. I emailed Rob to get the eBook. I'll see what I can pull from that to improve the current setup w/o spending funds. Might mess around with a new bridge, but I'll have to see how complicated it looks.

I've seen the Tone Gard used, but had no idea what it was or was called until this thread.

Emmett Marshall
Aug-10-2015, 11:13pm
I love the tone guard. It definitely makes a difference for me. I suppose, if I was skinny as a rail, it might not make that much difference. I agree with Allen's logic. Any money you put into the MK is just going to delay getting the Weber.....which most people will agree are very nice mandolins. I am trying to trade for a Weber Octave mandolin right now, but so far, zero luck.

Tobin
Aug-11-2015, 7:19am
Whatever you're thinking of spending on upgrades to the MK, put that money toward that Weber.

Then, after you get the better instrument, you can start "tweaking" the MK. However, tweaking a sow's ear doesn't produce a silk purse. Well, I realize I'm being a bit overly cruel toward the Kelly, which has been at least serviceable for you.

I don't think you're being overly cruel. Just honest. My first mandolin was a MK FS-E, and I went through the same thing. It was a decent playable mandolin (I did get it set up by Robert Fear when I bought it from Folkmusician.com). But it just isn't built to produce much volume or tone. I bought a ToneGard for it, which helped a little. I tried all sorts of string and pick combinations. I bought a Cumberland Acoustics bridge too, which I never got around to fitting to the top. Because at that point I realized that the thing was just built too thick for producing the sound I was after. I upgraded to a really nice mandolin and never looked back.

So yeah, I agree that they money is better spent on saving for a better mandolin. Tweaking an entry-level mandolin like a MK is going to help a little, but it's just not worth sinking much money into if you're not happy with the sound. I do think there is a case to be made for doing some deep, intrusive, surgical upgrades to a MK mandolin if it's no longer a person's main instrument. Like stripping that thick finish off, possibly removing the top and back and regraduating them, etc. But that would really be a labor of love, for experimentation or practice.

Timbofood
Aug-11-2015, 7:35am
I agree, don't sink money into it more than tools you might want for tweaking the better instrument. Get Rob's book, see what some tweaking on the MK does. It's the learning experience that will be the important thing. Save the money you'd spend for a bridge, tailpiece, or any other "thing" for the old one. Get extra strings for the new one, you will play the life out of the new ones and need to replace them!

Harpua19
Aug-11-2015, 11:05am
"Get extra strings for the new one, you will play the life out of the new ones and need to replace them!"

Solid advice. Thanks!

shins
Aug-11-2015, 12:20pm
Strings and picks.

any other tweak I can think of is going to be barley noticable.