PDA

View Full Version : 1959 F5 rework

Ken Waltham
Aug-06-2015, 8:44pm
I had promised LenF12 that I would post some photos of this project, so, here goes.
First, some background...
I have long focused on Gibson mandolins, for better or worse, depending on your opinion. They are just what I personally like, not to say that has to be anyone else's choice, but, it is mine.
So, I have long looked for a mandolin that could be used for all those gigs or travel that is a little more "everyday friendly" than a valuable vintage F5 may be in some circumstances. Nothing would seem to fit the bill for my own personal preferences, and when you are used to a very high grade instrument, it's a tough slot to fill.
No modern Gibson's excited me at all. I am not going to go into reasons why, but, they were not in the running.
Finally, this winter I bought a 1959 F5 from the deceased owner's son. I am a 50's model myself, and, I thought this would be kind of cool.
As you can imagine, it was in incredible condition, 100% original, but, sounded like a log with strings stretched across it. No volume, no dynamic range, no tone.
One of my first good mandolins was a 1949 F12 conversion to an F5, done by Randy Wood. I remembered this as being a really good mandolin, but, so much water had passed under the bridge, and my tastes have matured and changed over time, that I was not sure how accurate my memory was regarding this conversion.
Anyway, I talked with a couple of Cafe members who have had this done, and with Tony Williamson, a confidant and friend of mine.
Everyone was very positive, so, in March I sent it to Randy Wood in GA.
I had met Randy a few times, spoken, hung out and stuff, but that was back in my Bluegrass days, and it may have as much as 16 to 18 years since we last talked.
Speaking with Randy was just like we had left off yesterday. He treated me so well, and was so kind and generous, that I would encourage any Cafe member to consider his services for whatever you may need.
Anyway, long story short, he sawed the back off, regraduated the top and back, new Loarish tone bars, properly placed, installed an ebony R Wood bridge, new nut and fret work.
It went back together with sign of ever having been off, and plays perfectly!
I have always liked the 50's neck profiles, a little more C shaped, and this thing plays like a dream.
Sound... well, when I first tuned it up, it was a little "wiry" perhaps metallic.
By day two most of that had left. After 10 days I called Randy to tell him he had made this into a marvelous mandolin.
He told me that about every two weeks it would go through a change. He explained I may not notice it as much as someone who had not been playing it every day, but, saw it infrequently. Then he said that after 3 - 4 months it would really open up.
Suffice to say, this has exceeded all my expectations, and I cannot really put it down.
It has been exactly what I was looking for. It did not break the bank, is a true "vintage Gibson", plays great and sounds fantastic.
In short, it pushes all my buttons.
In these photos, I could not get the flame on the back to come out... but, it has wonderful wood, full of flame and curl. Guess my angle or light wasn't quite right.
Anyway, enjoy the pictures, thanks Ken13704213704313704413704513704613704713704813704 9137050137051

Ken Waltham
Aug-06-2015, 9:26pm
Here's a couple of more photos...13705213705313705413705513705613705713705 8

F-2 Dave
Aug-06-2015, 9:55pm
Very nice. Beautiful mandolin, cool pink lined case. What's not to like? It's nice to hear somebody brag on the sound of a 50's F-5.

Skip Kelley
Aug-07-2015, 5:22am
Ken, your mandolin is in really fine condition. It's hard to believe it is as old as it is! Randy is certainly at the top when it comes to work like this! Congratulations!

Denny Gies
Aug-07-2015, 6:18am
Great story, both the mandolin and Randy are tops. My Randy Wood F 5 was made in 1993 and it seems to get better each and every time I pick it up. Just wish I got better each and every time I pick it up.

AlanN
Aug-07-2015, 6:33am
Nice, Uncle Ken, nice.

Jim Hilburn
Aug-07-2015, 7:32am
Randy is a genius to be able to accomplish this job so cleanly. I know how he does it, I just don't know how he does it though.
59 was a special year in so many ways, the best Les Paul's, the best Fender amps and the best Cadillacs. But Gibsons workmanship in that era was probably the best it had ever been. I've been looking at some later 60s lately and while the style was the same the workmanship wasn't nearly as clean as this one.
Congratulations.

Ken Waltham
Aug-07-2015, 9:00am
Thanks Jim and all. About the 60's F5's.. I don't care for them at all, and agreed that the workmanship went way down. The thing about the 50's ones, howbeit they sound awful, is that they are made with real materials, and can be reworked into something that sounds great by Randy.
To Denny.. you know, I think if I wanted a new F5, it would be a Randy Wood. Not only because this 1959 seriously sounds better every day, but, because he was so good to work with, just a super guy. Like I said, it was as if we'd been buddies all these years, even when we were not in contact. Sent the F5 back to me before payment was made!
That type of treatment is really important to me.
Skip... it is in near new condition! Amazing history to the F5 as well.

Jim Hilburn
Aug-07-2015, 10:32am
I think the late 60's guys must have seen the writing on the wall.

Ken Waltham
Aug-07-2015, 11:42am
When they go to the 5 piece neck.. that's when they go down.

june39
Aug-07-2015, 12:42pm
I share your experience with Randy Wood. He took my sonically challanged '39 F5 regraduated the top and replaced the fingerboard. There is no evidence that the back had ever been taken off. The fit and finish of the fingerboard was equally well done. As with any major work done to an instrument, it takes a while for all the parts to get to know one another. Mine has opened up nicely and is much improved.

Doug McCash

Jeff Mando
Aug-07-2015, 7:36pm
That's a beauty, Ken!

lenf12
Aug-09-2015, 10:06am
Thanks for the pictures Ken. Your '59 is much better than I anticipated, the condition and workmanship are all top notch and I agree that the 50's Gibson mandolins are a bargain, even if the sound needs to be re-worked by someone like Randy. Congrats and happy picking with your "new" old mandolin. BTW - the case is to die for...all of my buttons are pushed too.

Kind regards,
Len B. (fellow 50's vintage mandolinist)
Clearwater, FL

AlanN
Aug-09-2015, 1:35pm
Hey Ken, ran into Daniel Smith @ Galax, we talked about this mandolin, bridges, Randy Wood, Trump, you name it...

Ken Waltham
Aug-09-2015, 7:32pm
Hey Ken, ran into Daniel Smith @ Galax, we talked about this mandolin, bridges, Randy Wood, Trump, you name it...
Yes, Daniel and I talked a fair bit about this F5 on one occasion.
He's a good resource for interesting things....
Trump........:)