PDA

View Full Version : Just a vid of left handed playing....

9lbShellhamer
Aug-06-2015, 12:08pm
I know plenty of people play left handed, but I just stumbled upon this video and thought it was interesting that the mandolin picker plays the mandolin left handed but it's strung normally. It seems the chop would posses an entirely different characteristic, and it would be interesting to hear more.... good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX7tJTwqQcw

objectsession
Aug-06-2015, 1:15pm
Yeah. That's how I've been playing. I'm kind of just starting (well, I'm just restarting I guess), so I can't really say what the difference in sound is.

Playing doesn't seem to be really easier or harder, but as a beginner, I have to kind of translate picking exercises so they do what they're supposed to do. Also, the pickguard would be on the wrong side, but my mandolin doesn't have one anyway (and I just took it off my Rogue when I played that).

9lbShellhamer
Aug-06-2015, 2:26pm
Just curious, if you have the mandolin strings set up still for a righty? Seems the chop would be really high on the treble end? (speaking tonally) (unless you're chopping up)

objectsession
Aug-06-2015, 3:28pm
Yes, mandolin is set up for a right handed player, but I just play it upside down. I'm not sure what you mean by your second question, but the higher strings (meaning higher pitch but also coincidentally higher from the floor) do seem louder when playing chop chords. I'm not sure if that's something I could work to even out or just something that will always happen since I haven't really practiced any chords much yet.

DataNick
Aug-06-2015, 7:38pm
Cafe member 3rdDegree plays the same way; regular "righty" mando flipped upside down. He plays bass flipped around as well

objectsession
Aug-06-2015, 7:51pm
Cafe member 3rdDegree plays the same way; regular "righty" mando flipped upside down. He plays bass flipped around as well

Cool! Must not be totally unreasonable then . . Or at least I'm not the only unreasonable one. :)

9lbShellhamer
Aug-07-2015, 11:18am
It's cool to see and hear different ways of playing...interesting to see different methods. :)