PDA

View Full Version : Difference between oval and f sound holes?

Bubba707
Jul-28-2015, 9:01pm
I'm a real newbie at mandolin and I've been looking at listings. What is the performance difference between an oval sound hole and f sound holes? Which would give more volume without effecting tone? What is the sound difference between flat top and carved top? I appreciate any help here since it will help decide what to get to replace the cheap Mitchell I have.
Mike

onassis
Jul-28-2015, 9:34pm
Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?116313-Holes-an-old-question-from-a-new-member&highlight=oval+difference) and here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?115249-Oval-hole-and-F-hole&highlight=oval+difference) are a couple of recent threads on the subject. Conventional wisdom is that ff holes are perceived as louder (tone cuts a little better). Which tone you would prefer is purely subjective. Many seem to prefer an ff hole instrument when playing in loud settings.

k0k0peli
Jul-28-2015, 9:56pm
They vary. Conventional wisdom is that f-holes project better -- but my luthier-crafted (KE Coleman of Albuquerque) oval-hole mando is louder than my cheap f-holes, louder than almost any f-hole I've played. I'm not sure, but I think my cheap-o mandos are pressed arch-tops while the Coleman is definitely carved. Loudest of all (except for the ancient banjo-mandolin) is a cheap Chinese flattop mandola, but that's a larger body. I also have an f-hole baritone 'uke that's very quiet, and an f-hole resonator guitar that isn't. I do feel that f-hole instruments sound brighter, and round or oval-hole axes have more rounded, fuller tones.

Bubba707
Jul-28-2015, 10:36pm
Thanks guys. My Mitchell is a real cheapie I got for next to nothing and isn't very loud at all. I suspect mostly plywood. I'm having fun with it enough to know I want a much better mando. Between that and my lap steels I'm having a good time being unconventional. I've been looking at Eastwoods, The Loar and Kentucky for the most part and looking at 6 to 8 hundred for a top price, depending on what I can get away with

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-29-2015, 12:16am
There are quite a few folk on here who own a Kentucky KM900 "A" style mandolin & swear by them. The KM900 is modeled after the only 'known' Lloyd Loar "A" style mandolin & from what i've read about them,they are a superb instrument.However,they're a bit over your budget at $999.0 US, currently at that price from the Mandolin Store,down from $1,479 US. If you could stretch to that price,you'd have one heck of a good mandolin & from the MS,it would be well set up. Failing that,i've personally played the KM900's ''little sister'',the KM505,& it was incredibly good. They sell for around $549 US (Mandolin Store current price - down from $799 US). Either of those mandolins would keep you satisfied for years & right now,they're priced to sell !,
Ivan;)

Randi Gormley
Jul-29-2015, 11:20am
More conventional wisdom about the difference between oval hole and ff hole: oval holes project more to the player and ff holes project more outward. They can both be loud, and they can both be soft. It depends on the instrument. I have a lovely oval-hole Gibson that is louder than most ff-holed instruments I play with, but that's that specific instrument. I own another oval-hole that has a tiny, chime-like voice (great for recording) that is swallowed up in a crowd. If you have a chance to experiment, play one of each or have someone else play one of each for you to hear. They really do sound different from each other but it depends on your specific likes or dislikes to determine which of the sounds you like better.

allenhopkins
Jul-29-2015, 3:29pm
What I've heard:

F-hole: strong, percussive sound, quicker decay -- "bark"
Oval-hole: Longer sustain, slightly more "complex" sound -- "ring"

As to overall volume and projection, that may be more related to top configuration and material -- carved vs. pressed top, solid woods vs. plywood -- which may be summed up as "quality." I.e., a better mandolin will have more volume and projection. Definitely I have heard oval-holes that were every bit as loud as f-hole instruments; difference may be in the attack and decay, rather than in the volume.

The f-hole "chop" is very characteristic of bluegrass rhythm mandolin; while it's probably possible to get a similar sound out of a quality oval-hole instrument, f-hole instruments seem better suited for that particular role.

JEStanek
Jul-29-2015, 3:38pm
I found Ted's descriptions good for how I experience it (http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/002510.shtml).

Jamie

Bubba707
Jul-29-2015, 3:43pm
Jamie, that was very informative and a big help

JEStanek
Jul-30-2015, 8:56am
Welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie