PDA

View Full Version : First time playing mando in public

Matt Harris
Jul-28-2015, 1:24pm
Go easy on me, guys. :)

Back in college I had a rather traumatic musical performance experience, and it had literally been 17 years since I had played in public. I know, I know, I'm a wuss.

So, anyway, my wife was asked to sing in a wedding this past May, and she wanted me to accompany her on guitar. I reluctantly agreed. Miraculously, I survived...

Once I got over the hump with that, this opportunity came up to play mandolin in church, with my wife singing and our worship leader and his two boys.

It wasn't perfect, but this time it was fun. And it looks like I'll be playing more in church in the future. To think, I wasted 17 years... :)

This is played on my 2000 Weber Gallatin (mahogany b/s). The guitarist is playing a Taylor 614, I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi-iPuJUKAg

Brad Sicotte
Jul-28-2015, 2:09pm
Good job Matt! Playing in church is wonderful and your confidence will grow each time you do it. Nice sounding mando too. Keep on pickin'!

Jackgaryk
Jul-28-2015, 2:20pm
Enjoyed that Matt, Your wife has a lovely voice. Ya'll keep up the good work.

Dan Krhla
Jul-29-2015, 11:49am
I love playing in church.
That's my lovely wife tooting the flute next to me, first time EVER for us playing together, and she's been doing this since high school, me just 9 years or so. :)

one of my favorite gigs.

Skip Kelley
Jul-29-2015, 12:19pm
Great job , Matt! Man, your wife has a beautiful voice! I'd be playing in church every Sunday!

Matt Harris
Jul-29-2015, 1:52pm
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

My wife actually sings as part of the ensemble every week and solo like this every few months. I always say that when it comes to our family I have the interest in music and she has the talent...

skygazer
Jul-29-2015, 9:06pm
Wow, that was beautiful! I didn't expect it to be so good., thanks for sharing.

Seriously, ask your wife to lower her music stand, it covers her face. Beautiful redhead and people lip read, even if unconsciously. Faces are important and expressive.

Lovely voice, mandolin sounded good. The guitar sounded almost like a bass, I had to look and see if it had 6 tuners or 4.

Definitely keep it up, only performing makes performing come with more certainty.

zedmando
Jul-29-2015, 10:07pm
I've not yet played mandolin in public, just at home, mostly on my own, but I have played a bit for family & friends.

But hopefully I'll have a chance soon--maybe in church...

Glad to hear you're back at it.
I love playing musical instruments

markT
Aug-03-2015, 1:17pm
Very nice Matt!

Thanks for sharing.. I'm about to play mandolin the first time in public tomorrow.

patty6363
Aug-11-2015, 9:27pm
Awesome sound, Matt! Your family definitely swims in the talent river.
Takes a lot of courage to play in public; my "public performances" have been limited to a recital & a jam I hosted this past weekend so you're way ahead of me in this effort.
Tell your wife that another redhead wants her to lower that music stand just a tad. Her vocals shine; let the rest of her follow suit :)

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck markT! You're doin it!

Matt Harris
Aug-13-2015, 11:54am
markT, let us know how your performance went!