PDA

View Full Version : any way to tell?

A#Bb
Jul-27-2015, 12:23pm
I appreciate all the help a lot of people give others on this site. I'm hoping maybe you can help me as well. Attached are two pictures of a mandolin I'm very interested in purchasing. is there anyway at all by looking at these pictures If this is a "real" mandolin or just an imitation? it's advertised as a Loar 700-VS.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide me!

William

MikeEdgerton
Jul-27-2015, 12:28pm
Nobody would go to the trouble of faking a "The Loar". It would be the same amount of trouble you'd go through to fake a Gibson that would bring much more money.

It's interesting that whomever is selling this has the picture of the old Martin factory in Nazareth, PA behind it.

Bill Snyder
Jul-27-2015, 2:36pm
Do The Loar mandolins really have such poorly done sunbursts?

MikeEdgerton
Jul-27-2015, 2:54pm
That one looks just like the mandolins on the company website (http://www.theloar.com/products#). I don't think they look all that bad for their origin.

noah finn
Jul-27-2015, 3:15pm
I own a The Loar lm 700vs. The mandolin in that picture you posted looks about right to me.
I cant see someone faking one .
You could always contact the seller and ask for for more pictures if your unsure.

darrylicshon
Jul-27-2015, 5:50pm
It looks right to me , how much are they asking for it?

A#Bb
Jul-27-2015, 7:57pm
they are asking $800.00 for it which includes setup. the case is $50 more. you think that is a fair price?

- - - Updated - - -

I own a The Loar lm 700vs. The mandolin in that picture you posted looks about right to me.
I cant see someone faking one .
You could always contact the seller and ask for for more pictures if your unsure.

Noah, do you like the Loar 700 VS? Have you been pleased with the sound it puts out?

noah finn
Jul-28-2015, 5:13am
A#Bb,
I'm in Ireland so I cant comment on the price in Dollars. I'm sure someone from your side of the pond will be able to guide you right on the price.

I take it its a second hand instrument? When these are bought new the price includes a "the Loar " travelite style case.

I like this mandolin alot. For its price it can hold its own with mandolins worth several times more. The main features are a flat fretboard, larger frets and no tone bars. The lack of tone bars gives a more "modern " sound, those that play bluegrass say the tone bars are important for the traditional bluegrass sound.It contains all solid wood and the blurb states they are carved by hand.

Making f5 mandolins in this price range will necessitate corners being cut - a feature of these mandolins is that the finish is heavier than you'll find on more expensive mandolins, the stock bridges are normally upgraded to a higher quality one, such as a cumberland acoustics one. The finish can be rough in places particularly under the fretboard extension .

A regular poster here, wrote a very good post on the pros and cons of these mandolins -

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?79415-Review-and-comparison-The-Loar-LM-700-VS

I think its a good guide as its pretty blunt in its description and also includes sound files comparing the tone the lm 700 is capable of in relation to higher end mandolins. The lm700 mandolin holds it own .

Bottom line - this a very good sounding mandolin. Its not an Ellis but then again your not paying Ellis prices

Finally, mandolins regardless of price can vary from instrument to instrument - I think its always better to try before you buy.

A#Bb
Jul-28-2015, 6:47am
Thank you Noah. The information contained within that link was very helpful! Thanks again for letting me know!

mandobassman
Jul-28-2015, 4:45pm
Do The Loar mandolins really have such poorly done sunbursts?

I agree. That looks terrible.