PDA

View Full Version : Trying to buy a mandolin for the first time

chubbyradish
Jul-27-2015, 12:14pm
Good day! The more I read the more confused I get about what mandolin I should buy for my boyfriend. He is a skilled guitar player but has never owned a mandolin. I really like the F style mandos but I think they may be a tad out of my price range. Looking at a used Loar LM 590 or Rover RM 75. Is it better to get a really decent A type than an F style of maybe a lesser brand name? Any help would be appreciated!

9lbShellhamer
Jul-27-2015, 1:10pm
Hi,
Welcome! Yes, you'll get a lot of great advice here. You are correct about getting an A over an F for the best sound, there is NO difference in sound between A models VS F models. Some people know this and still prefer F models for their shape and that's fine too. There are some really good entry level A models which sound good, and if you buy them from a reputable shop, like themandolinstore, they will set it up and it will be easy to play and sound good.
The Kentucky brand makes a great entry level product. I personally think the Kentucky km160 sounds as good as most stuff under $750, and it's half the cost. You'll get a lot of other good suggestions here.

Good luck and I hope he enjoys it!

fatt-dad
Jul-27-2015, 1:45pm
J. Bouvier, Eastman, The Loar seem to corner the entry-level-but-still-good-quality market. They are all made in China.

Advertizing for entry-level mandolins have some known euphimisms. Words like, "Maple" or "Spruce" mean plywood of that wood sort. Words like, "Solid maple" or "Solid Spruce" mean that the wood for that part of the instrument is solid. That's typically an asset. If it says, "carved spruce" top, that means a machine carved the plywood spruce top. If it says, "Hand-carved solid spruce" top, that means that an actual human used actual tools to carve actual solid wood. Most discerning ears want to hear hand-carved actual wood ringing under the strings. It makes a difference initially and over time.

Binding, inlay, scrolls are luxury items. Oval hole and f-hole are performance items. They are both great, but different. For starting out and for versatility, I'd get an f-hole instrument.

Have fun, he'll likely be pleased. May want a few others too! Sort of like guitars, but easier to squirrel away in the house.

f-d

Jim
Jul-27-2015, 3:23pm
Love my RM75, got several years ago. Good player, good sound/tone.

chubbyradish
Jul-27-2015, 4:06pm
Thank you so much for all this advice. I have just about driven myself crazy trying to buy the right one.

chubbyradish
Jul-27-2015, 4:49pm
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Eastman 305 vs The Loar 590 or Rover RM 75?

Pittsburgh Bill
Jul-27-2015, 5:22pm
I have an Eastman 305 that I like quite well. I had a RM75 that I also liked. I have played a few The Loar's and was unimpressed, but I have heard the contrary. I have never played a J Bovier, but hear good things.
Mandolins can be very individualistic and like models can differ from one to another. Set up can make a huge difference as well. Finding a shop with a luthier experienced with mandolins and capable of doing a good setup can be a challenge. Hope this is helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an Eastman 305 that I like quite well. I had a RM75 that I also liked. I have played a few The Loar's and was unimpressed, but I have heard the contrary. I have never played a J Bovier, but hear good things.
Mandolins can be very individualistic and like models can differ from one to another. Set up can make a huge difference as well. Finding a shop with a luthier experienced with mandolins and capable of doing a good setup can be a challenge. Hope this is helpful.

allenhopkins
Jul-27-2015, 11:05pm
You're looking at three good choices, especially for a first mandolin: all solid woods, carved rather than heat-pressed. The two F-models are probably quite comparable; I'd guess the Loar would have a slightly different "feel" due to its neck profile. The Eastman "300" series mandolins are very well-regarded, since they're well-made and some owners think that their thin matte finish is preferable acoustically.

Best thing would be if you could try any or all of these models hands-on, or bring along a mandolin-playing friend whose opinion you trust, to "test drive" them for you. However, this isn't an option for a lot of people.

You're going the right route: solid woods, carved, reputable manufacturer. Probably won't go wrong, whichever you pick.

nickster60
Jul-28-2015, 8:04am
As many have said the Eastman would be the way to go. It comes in both F style and a A styles Robert from Folkmusician.com would be a great place to start. He is highly regarded and runs a great company.

Gary Leonard
Jul-28-2015, 10:16am
Do. Or do not. There is no try. (sorry, couldn't resist, the thread title...)

Another thing to consider, as he is a skilled guitar player, is the quality of guitars he plays. Will he be happy playing an entry level mandolin?

Gary

MysTiK PiKn
Jul-28-2015, 5:23pm
http://www.folkmusician.com/The-Loar-LM-590-Mandolin/productinfo/LM-590-MS/

Link is to TheLoar590 - see "setup info" lower on this page.
Case Included.

Randi Gormley
Jul-29-2015, 11:30am
something to consider -- a lot of guitar players feel cramped on a mandolin initially; the Eastman (which I highly recommend since I own one) has a narrower neck profile but it has a radiused fretboard. (yes, more differences!!!!); some of the other choices have wider necks -- and yes, even 1/8 of an inch makes a difference in feel -- and flat fretboards. Just more to consider.

If price is an object, I'd suggest you also consider used. The classifieds here have some really nice instruments at reasonable prices from people who have either decided to move to a higher level of instrument or are thinning the herd or are getting rid of an inherited mandolin they have no use for. And don't ignore the vintage market. Some old strad-o-lins are great bargains, f'rinstance. a lot depends on if the recipient likes vintage, though. some do and some don't.

And, of course, once you give him the mandolin, introduce him to the café. Or even introduce him earlier to get him thinking about mandolins. Nothing like priming the well ....

JeffD
Jul-29-2015, 12:15pm
Here is my thought:

Make yourself an impressive certificate "good for the purchase of one mandolin" and attach the amount you are considering spending. Put it in a gift debit card perhaps.

That way he can find the mandolin that moves his soul, and even add his own money if he has more extravagant thoughts than you can justify.

Looking forward to hearing from him on this forum. :)

skygazer
Jul-30-2015, 7:40pm
Advertizing for entry-level mandolins have some known euphimisms. Words like, "Maple" or "Spruce" mean plywood of that wood sort. Words like, "Solid maple" or "Solid Spruce" mean that the wood for that part of the instrument is solid. That's typically an asset. If it says, "carved spruce" top, that means a machine carved the plywood spruce top. If it says, "Hand-carved solid spruce" top, that means that an actual human used actual tools to carve actual solid wood. Most discerning ears want to hear hand-carved actual wood ringing under the strings. It makes a difference initially and over time.
f-d

This double speak jargon is so important (and misleading) that I copied it and made a folder where I can refer to it when getting fooled by the lingo used in ads.

Thank you very much for the translation from smoke and mirrors into real words and thoughts.

Caleb
Jul-31-2015, 10:54am
All that terminology thrown around to the uninitiated ("carved maple," "all wood construction") is misleading and shameful. The other night while channel surfing I came across an infomercial for those Keith Urban guitars. More of the same. "All wood" construction, etc. Those are not good guitars and everyone except those who will buy one knows it. I guess the occasional musician is born through such a venture, but more often than not I'd be willing to bet a would-be musician is frustrated by poor quality and gives up. It's sad because someone who really wants to buy a decent mandolin or guitar has to wade through all that muck to get anything decent. Grateful for places like this and the crowd here who can help. But I think of the pre-internet days when thousands of bad instruments were sold via catalog. Must've been tough.

darrylicshon
Jul-31-2015, 1:36pm
I have played plenty of plywood mandolins and guitars that sound good, some i have setup some where already setup. Of course ever instrument is different cause i have played some that sound terrible

MysTiK PiKn
Aug-01-2015, 3:13pm
J. Bouvier, Eastman, The Loar seem to corner the entry-level-but-still-good-quality market. They are all made in China.

Binding, inlay, scrolls are luxury items. Oval hole and f-hole are performance items. They are both great, but different. For starting out and for versatility, I'd get an f-hole instrument.

Have fun, he'll likely be pleased. May want a few others too! Sort of like guitars, but easier to squirrel away in the house.

f-d

This is VERY Valuable INFO. And add to the list of deceptions = "Select Spruce" etc. What kind of tree is Select????
Just another misleading con. Someone "selected" this from the pile of cheap junk - thank you very little. It means plywood, once again. And all the quick mass production comes with it. Guaranteed. Warranteed. It's all BS, and the "S" does NOT mean 'spruce'.

All you need to do is read some of the descriptions closely to see they don't really state anything specific. Kinda like "based on the heritage of all the great instruments that everyone wants" -it's just trash talk - like singing a rap song - great music, o yes. :))

MysTiK PiKn
Aug-01-2015, 3:16pm
Here is my thought:

Make yourself an impressive certificate "good for the purchase of one mandolin" and attach the amount you are considering spending. Put it in a gift debit card perhaps.

That way he can find the mandolin that moves his soul, and even add his own money if he has more extravagant thoughts than you can justify.

Looking forward to hearing from him on this forum. :)

This is a great idea. Let the 'cat' out of the bag. Let the user take his pick. It takes the pressure off the 'gift giver' also. And there's lots of way to do it. ;)

objectsession
Aug-01-2015, 6:44pm
Let the 'cat' out of the bag.

Wait. I thought the boyfriend wanted a mandolin - not a violin. :))

patty6363
Aug-11-2015, 9:33pm
Yes!! Another Eastman fan (okay, maybe a stretch but was starting to feel a bit intimidated with all the Loar preferences that were circling. I wanted a good basic model to start (brand new to this effort x 6 months ago) so the Eastman is working for me. Good points...

multidon
Aug-11-2015, 9:52pm
Not sure why no one has mentioned Kentucky yet. The KM 150 is the best buy in a beginner mandolin, period. Outplays many more expensive models, including other Kentuckys.