PDA

View Full Version : Musician, Heal Thyself

Bill Clements
Jul-26-2015, 9:53pm
It seems falling from a ladder isn't the only way musicians can suffer from orthopedic maladies (no, I didn't mean melodies) as some of you may painfully be aware.

From a 2009 Peabody Magazine (http://www.peabody.jhu.edu/past_issues/fall09/musician_heal_thyself.html) article.

From a 1995 NYTimes (http://www.nytimes.com/1995/09/24/nyregion/musicians-practice-and-pain.html) article.

k0k0peli
Jul-26-2015, 11:03pm
We suffer for our art. It's self-imposed. Violinists go deaf in one ear. Any long-duration fingering and flexing will produce repetitive-motion injuries. Et cetera. And it's not just music. Photographers have long been the delight of chiropractors -- carrying a heavy camera bag on one shoulder wrecks the spine. How about crafts artists? Going blind from tiny stitchings, or sucking toxins while blowing glass, or losing hand function and hearing from silverwork. We must decide: What are we willing to suffer for work we love?

Digital cameras and zoom lenses have lightened fotogs' burdens somewhat. Much formerly human handcraft is now performed by robots and other machines. Electronic instruments should relieve musicians' woes -- except that orchestras require violinists (going deaf) and woodwind players (wrecking fingers). The solution? A neural implant where you merely 'will' the music to appear. Right.

objectsession
Jul-26-2015, 11:33pm
I had never heard about the issue with violinists and deafness, but wouldn't earplugs or monitoring of practice times/loudness be the "modern" solution to that problem.

Sometimes I wonder whether its a bad thing that orchestras require so much expertise from the performers. Maybe it's just not worth the health risk, maybe it's not economically viable, and maybe it's not really good for the art form. People still appreciate music played by performers with fewer hours of practice (and performers can be satisfied with lesser ability too). I don't want to derail the thread with that can-of-worms question, but it's something to think about.

Carl Robin
Jul-28-2015, 9:34am
This is a subject that I have some insight on, since my job is physical therapist. Without getting "into the weeds" with specifics, musicians and everyone should know that we have to be strong to avoid injury. That is, strong throughout the normal range of motion. Playing music, we are generally in a confined position--so as to have control for music making. The body is designed to be versatile, so we need to get out of those confined positions, and do something else. Stretching and using the muscles, going through a greater range of motion, and doing enough to get tired. It's not always necessary to go to a gym and lift weights. But get off the couch. Do some work. Make it part of your life. Sedentary musicians are at greatest risk of injury from over-use. If you are having problems, by all means find a good expert, and follow their advice.

Bill Clements
Jul-28-2015, 11:10am
But get off the couch. Do some work. Make it part of your life. Sedentary musicians are at greatest risk of injury from over-use. If you are having problems, by all means find a good expert, and follow their advice.

Great advice, Carl. I was at a party Saturday with folks around my age, late 50's early 60's. Of the dozen or so friends gathered, (5) of us had undergone orthopedic procedures. It's heck getting old!