PDA

View Full Version : Mando info

newmanj24
Jul-25-2015, 10:15am
I have a Tunica mandolin from the 1920's. Has anyone ever heard of it. It definitely needs a complete restoration. Is it worth spending the money. Thanks.

newmanj24

Phil Goodson
Jul-25-2015, 11:39am
A picture may help.

MysTiK PiKn
Jul-25-2015, 9:36pm
yeh, the crystal ball is kinda hazy.
you could search in the vintage forum
i have never heard of that name, and have no idea what it is.

Old is interesting. Playability is better. Restoration costs money and time. Some are wallhangers. If it's $cheap, and you like it, well, maybe you should do it. If you think old is going to make you money, you might be surprised - either way. I have seen some pretty wallhangers that aren't worth $5.

allenhopkins
Jul-26-2015, 12:29pm
Ya know, there's Google out there...

Here's (http://www.umanovguitars.net/store/details.asp?prodid=3959&cat=650&path=600,650) a link to a Matt Umanov listing (instrument's been sold) of a really fancy Tunica mandolin.

From Umanov's listing:
...made by Stromberg-Voisinette for the HT Tunica Department Store in Chicago ca. 1910. Stromberg-Voisinette made several styles of guitars and mandolins, usually notable by their unique asymmetrical peghead shape, for many secondary sellers.

Umanov listed the Tunica for $1.7K; if yours is anything like that one, I'd definitely get it restored. But Stromberg-Voisinette, the predecessor of Kay, made instruments of all grades, and if it's a low-end mandolin needing a lot of work, probably not worth the cost.

Pics would help, as said above.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-26-2015, 1:27pm
I'd say Matt got lucky when he found that buyer.

Graham McDonald
Jul-26-2015, 5:34pm
I think Umanov got the date wrong. The Stromberg Voisinet company was formed in 1922 so 1910 is much too early. Mid-20s, like the one the OP has is a more reasonable date. Stromberg Voisinet published a colour catalog around 1923 which I would love to see a copy of, if any still exist.

Cheers