PDA

View Full Version : Vessel "Loar model Mandola" at Rocky Grass Festival

testore
Jul-19-2015, 1:20am
Just a heads up. This Mandola will be with me at the Rocky Grass Bluegrass Festival next weekend. PM me if interested in checking it out.

mandobassman
Jul-19-2015, 10:56am
Beautiful work, as always Gary.

mandobassman
Jul-19-2015, 10:58am
Actually, I just realized, you maybe didn't build it. I thought it was one of your Gibson copies. Is it Gibson or your build?

testore
Jul-19-2015, 11:42am
It is my work. If you find a thread in the Vintage instrument section from March 31st of this year entitled, "amazing day at the shop today" or something like that you can read the whole story.

mandobassman
Jul-19-2015, 12:06pm
Well then, my first comment applies. The only reason I thought it might not be your build was because of the vintage looking case.

testore
Jul-19-2015, 12:11pm
LOL, that's the only reason I made it.

JAK
Jul-19-2015, 4:42pm
Gary, are you related to Carlo Antonio Testore, the violin maker from Milan (1687-1765)?

testore
Jul-19-2015, 10:26pm
Only in spirit. Just one of my favorite makers, and I feel very under rated and under valued.

MandoJason
Jul-23-2015, 12:23pm
For anyone interested in that mandola, i played it at the mandolin symposium and it was amazing! absolutely nailed the vintage look, sound, feel, everything...i thought it was an old gibson. Gary, my name is Jason...I sat and played that mandola at lunch in the cafeteria on the wednesday of the symposium...i grabbed a card from you too...i'll stay in touch. if its still available after rockygrass i may be jump into the ring for that instrument.
take care
jason
www.fauxgrassmusic.com

Ken Waltham
Jul-23-2015, 4:11pm
That's a good plan, IMHO. I have just received a Tenor Lute conversion to a mandola, but, if that didn't happen, I'd be all over that one. It just seems perfect to me. Really convincing.

lenf12
Jul-23-2015, 5:42pm
Not to derail this thread Ken, but can you post a photo of the TL to 'dola conversion? That would be cool!! I still swoon over this Loar model mandola Gary. It is stunning!!

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Ken Waltham
Jul-23-2015, 8:30pm
Not to derail this thread Ken, but can you post a photo of the TL to 'dola conversion? That would be cool!! I still swoon over this Loar model mandola Gary. It is stunning!!

Len B.
Clearwater, FL
OK Len, I'll try to get some up. Been busy doing replacement windows on the house, no photos yet.