PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass(y)

Lars Endrerud
Jul-16-2015, 6:01pm
Howdee! Bassist gone mandolinist here. Just did a recording of a homegrown tune, "Mandouche", with a friend. Two guys impersonating a bluegrass band :mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmile y::mandosmiley: Playing an F5 type mandolin built by Norwegian luthier Arnt Rian (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rian-gitar-og-mandolin/226310610746637?fref=ts).

https://youtu.be/P2x6e4PPWXs

billhay4
Jul-16-2015, 7:01pm
Very nice. I'd like to see that instrument up close. How long have you been playing mandolin?
Bill

Lars Endrerud
Jul-16-2015, 7:17pm
Very nice. I'd like to see that instrument up close. How long have you been playing mandolin?
Bill

Hi Bill. started playing in 2009;)

Clinton Johnson
Jul-16-2015, 7:25pm
Man! That's awesome pickin love it! Cool tune bro

Mike Barber
Jul-16-2015, 8:14pm
Really nice sound.

Bill Snyder
Jul-16-2015, 10:39pm
Arnt used to visit the Mandolin Cafe from time to time. Haven't seen that name in a while. If memory serves me correctly his first mandolin build was an a-style with a multi-piece back using some old flooring from a house he lived in. Talented luthier. You and your friend there do your instruments justice. Good job.

Steve Sorensen
Jul-17-2015, 2:40am
Nice pickin' ! ! !
Steve

DataNick
Jul-17-2015, 2:49am
Very, very, impressive!

Great song, exceptional, stylistic playing, and that Eastman md515 sounds great!
There was one transitional section that kind of had an Allman Brothers feel to it.

That was as good as anything out there!

Lars Endrerud
Jul-17-2015, 1:07pm
Thanks for the nice compliments :) Here is some pictures of my F5 Rian mandolin in Norwegian grass, billhay4.

billhay4
Jul-17-2015, 1:18pm
That's a lovely instrument, Lars. You've learned to play quite well in a short time and have a great looking and sounding mandolin to play on.
Let's hear some more of your music.
Thanks for posting these pictures.
Bill

Hubs
Jul-17-2015, 1:24pm
Very nice, indeed! Thanks for sharing!

Lars Endrerud
Jul-17-2015, 1:28pm
That's a lovely instrument, Lars. You've learned to play quite well in a short time and have a great looking and sounding mandolin to play on.
Let's hear some more of your music.
Thanks for posting these pictures.
Bill

One more tune to cøme shortly. Actually a big step for me as a rock bass player to dive into music like this. Thank you for the nice compliments!

Dick Hutchings
Jul-17-2015, 2:28pm
Fabulous mandolin playing. Looking forward to the next video.

grassrootphilosopher
Jul-17-2015, 3:49pm
Nice mix and well done.

DataNick
Jul-17-2015, 4:27pm
Lars,

Nice looking manlin' there! I've never heard of that brand, who makes it, and what are the specs?

Mando-geek minds want to know...LOL!

Kowboy
Jul-17-2015, 6:21pm
Lars; That was just perfect! Thanks so much.

Bill Snyder
Jul-17-2015, 8:29pm
DataNick, Arnt Rian (an individual luthier) builds these. He used to occasionally post in the Builders/Repair section and the Post a Picture (now Videos, Pictures & Sound Files).
He was mentioned in the OP and I also mentioned him in a later post.

Nashville
Jul-17-2015, 9:09pm
Lars, excellent. Really excellent. Very cool. I wanna hear more.

Arnt
Jul-18-2015, 6:11am
I was made aware of this thread (hi Lars!). As has been said, I'm an independent luthier over here in Norway. I make mostly steel string acoustic guitars, and the occasional mando family instrument and other 'oddities'. Lars' F5 is pretty traditional, with a red spruce top and red maple sides, back and neck. I also sometimes use local woods, in part or entirely, for my instruments, as we have some really nice woods over here. Especially spruce, which I process myself.

Flame Maple
Jul-18-2015, 9:42am
That is something else ,great music played by talented guys .A bit of that acoustic break brings to mind Ray Flacke.

billhay4
Jul-18-2015, 10:42am
Arnt,
Nice instruments you make.
Can you explain the name "Rian" for us Americans?
Thanks,
Bill

Hudmister
Jul-18-2015, 1:37pm
Lars, Thanks for the beautiful photos of the Rian mandolin. Love the tune, way cool and great balance. I'd call it Norwegian Grass.

Arnt
Jul-18-2015, 4:12pm
Billhay4, thanks for the nice words. Rian is my last name, and anyways I couldn't come up with anything really catchy, so I just stuck with it. It's also short, so pretty quick to cut from shell... 😉

Hudmister
Jul-19-2015, 11:34am
The guys who cut the shell for Dudenbostel know exactly what you mean.

AndyC
Jul-20-2015, 8:26am
I loved the track, so I clicked on your Youtube account for more. Then I realised where I recognised the name from before: the DPA mic review! I have listened to your dobro playing many times over the last couple years, beautiful stuff!

Lars Endrerud
Nov-11-2016, 2:41pm
Hi Again folks. After the first video, i decide to record one more tune,and one more.... and ended up with a whole album ;-)
I still use my Rian mandolin , and i love it.
I also got help from the virituose banjoplayer Ryan Cavanough , and of course my best friend Rune Thoen, :)))
We made this teaser for the album ;-))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUkTlc4-dJU

billhay4
Nov-11-2016, 3:07pm
I still use my Rian mandolin , and i love it.
You should. It's a great sounding instrument.
Bill

Nick Gellie
Nov-12-2016, 5:13am
Brilliant and really cool Lars! Shades of Tony Rice in this arrangement. Yes we definitely want more. Beautiful mandolin btw.

Rush Burkhardt
Nov-12-2016, 7:58am
thanks, Lars! I musta' been sleeping when your thread first hit. This is great music! There must be something in the European water, cause it reminds me of the overall feel of Obi Barthmann, which I feel is close to the top of the acoustic music food-chain! Looking forward to the time when your whole album is available!
Thanks!
:popcorn:

Lars Endrerud
Nov-12-2016, 1:14pm
Thank's a lot Rush ;) ill keep in touch, ITS such a inspiration to get feedback like that;)) thank's again!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you :))

Lars Endrerud
Nov-12-2016, 1:16pm
Thank you :))

Lars Endrerud
Nov-12-2016, 6:15pm
;-)

Murphy Slaw
Nov-20-2016, 1:36pm
That was GREAT !

Rob Roy
Nov-26-2016, 8:21am
That was GREAT !

Where can I get this new album? I searched itunes and amazon to no avail.

Lars Endrerud
Nov-27-2016, 7:37am
Where can I get this new album? I searched itunes and amazon to no avail.

Hi ;-) We realease the album january 2017-
Best Lars

Denny Gies
Nov-27-2016, 8:34am
I'm calling the cops...............you guys are having waaaaaaaaaaaay toooooooooooo much fun. Great job.