PDA

View Full Version : Need Info On This Gibson

Mike Arakelian
Jul-11-2015, 6:07pm
A friend stumbled upon this Gibson sitting in a neighbor's basement and asked for some help in identifying and valuing the instrument. While very faded, we're pretty sure the serial number is 37663 which I think dates the mandolin to around 1917? The mandolin appears to be in pretty good shape physically, but does not play well. After sitting in somebody's attic for 30-40-50 years, I'm sure it needs some work.

He has an opportunity to buy it, but would like some help in determining how much he should offer. He'd also like some idea of what it might be worth if it were in good playable condition. Lastly, he'd like any suggestion on a good repair shop somewhere in the greater Philadelphia or Southern New Jersey area that he might take it to.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mace
Jul-11-2015, 7:51pm
Can't do much better than vintage-instruments.com

Charles E.
Jul-11-2015, 8:37pm
Mike, it appears to be in good-original condition. Looking at the photo's, my first guess is that the transverse brace (the only one) in front of the sound hole has come unglued. This is a VERY common repair with Gibson A style mandolins of this vintage and easily repaired.

Ken Waltham
Jul-11-2015, 8:41pm
It's a plain Gibson A model. A wonderful mandolin. Some folks ask 1200 to 1300 dollars for these, but, I think that may be a bit rich. If I were your friend, in those circumstances, I'd think in the neighborhood of $700 to $800.
It looks great. At some point, the p/g has been cut out for a pickup, but, that's not too much worry.
Fred Oster in Philly.

allenhopkins
Jul-12-2015, 12:50am
Mmm -- that sunken top is gonna need some work. Charles may well be right that it's a loose brace, but then the top has to be coaxed back to a fuller arch, IMHO.

I'd go a little less than Ken W's suggesting. But I'm cheap.

Ray(T)
Jul-12-2015, 4:12am
Missing tailpiece cover and butchered pick guard will also lower the value. I think the date you estimate is in the right ballpark but knowing the Factory Order Number will help confirm this - look for a number stamped inside on the neck block and let us know what it is.

Mike Arakelian
Jul-12-2015, 7:50am
Missing tailpiece cover and butchered pick guard will also lower the value. I think the date you estimate is in the right ballpark but knowing the Factory Order Number will help confirm this - look for a number stamped inside on the neck block and let us know what it is.

We have the tailpiece, and it's actually in pretty good shape considering its age. The pick guard is in poor shape however. I think Allen is right about the top...hopefully just the brace, but I don't know. The factory order number is 11000...hope this helps.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-12-2015, 8:01am
You need to get a luthier that is familiar with mandolins to look at that. I'd take the strings off for now.

OldGus
Jul-12-2015, 8:06am
Your friend might want to price the repair before they offer. Does it have the original case?

Mike Arakelian
Jul-12-2015, 8:37am
Your friend might want to price the repair before they offer. Does it have the original case?

Yes...the handle is pretty beat up, but otherwise the case is in pretty good shape.

OldGus
Jul-12-2015, 9:51am
I'd still talk to a good luthier first but I would value it at $500-$625. If it were pristine $1000-$1100. I would probably offer $500. He is the one who found it for them, it has been totally neglected for a long time in a poor environment and is damaged. After a good repair it will be worth $900-$1000 and of course each buyer and the market in general fluctuate. They didn't even know about it so that should make them happy and I think it's fair. You don't want to rip them off but you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot either...I might offer a little more plus the cost of repair if it were fixed first to eliminate the unknown factor in repair quality.

Ray(T)
Jul-12-2015, 1:24pm
We have the tailpiece, and it's actually in pretty good shape considering its age. The pick guard is in poor shape however. I think Allen is right about the top...hopefully just the brace, but I don't know. The factory order number is 11000...hope this helps.

According to Spann's guide, 11000 would suggest early 1917 so your interpretation of the serial number would appear to be correct.

The pick-guard looks as though it has been shaped to fit a magnetic pickup at some stage.