PDA

View Full Version : What model of Michael Kelly should I have?

harmonist34
Apr-19-2005, 11:53am
I've been looking for an el cheapo F style mandolin since I sold the Flatiron Festival that I owned temporarily. There are a ton of options, but I think I've narrowed it down to Michael Kelly mandos. Are the differences between the many models they offer cosmetic, or is there a particular level at which something significant structurally/materials wise changes?

Thanks,
Andy

Lane Pryce
Apr-19-2005, 12:39pm
After playing/owning a Flatiron I do not see how you could possibly be happy with an MK.That is not intended to a jab at the MK owners either.The ones I have tried have sounded really thin and had other issues related to workmanship.Just my two but I think you would be much happier with something from the Eastman line.BTW there was an A9 with case in the classfides this am---I see it has sold already. Lp

steve in tampa
Apr-19-2005, 12:43pm
I have a Firefly 11 that I bought new last summer. Nice woods, and it keeps sounding better as its played.I also own some Gibsons so I do know what a mandolin can sound like, and my MK does sound good. See if you can find a used one with some playing time on it and an acceptable to you tone.

Frank Russell
Apr-19-2005, 1:54pm
If you can spare a little more cash, try an Eastman 515. I just got one new, came with nice Bobelock case, all under $900. I've owned MK's before, and this Eastman smokes them all. Playability is also much better, as well as finish. Frank.

harmonist34
Apr-19-2005, 2:49pm
I'm not a mandolin expert...and my ownership of the Flatiron lasted about 5 days, so I don't think I really even had time to explore its tone.

I've played a few Eastmans and wasn't particularly impressed. I've yet to try any Michael Kelly's, but this is a case where price really does come before tone. I know I'm not going to get anything exceptional for the $500 price range...but I don't want a Loar right now, I want a cheap mandolin that I can learn to play on.

I've got a lot of $ tied up in guitars right now and I'll have problems keeping another $1500+ instrument around the house...a $500 one wouldn't be as big a deal.

Andy

Brian Ney
Apr-19-2005, 7:21pm
I realize that you are looking for an F-style, but I bought a MK A-0 a couple months ago, and I love it. #I tried several different MK models in the shop, and this one had the fullest tone of the bunch (IMHO), probably due to the oval sound hole. #Plus, it is right around $500.

harmonist34
Apr-20-2005, 11:15pm
It's a moot question, for now. I just agreed to purchase the 1980 Wynn mandolin for sale in the classifieds. A reasonably priced F style made the year I was born...how perfect is that! I like the look of walnut and already own a walnut banjo, so this should be a good mando for me, even if it's not the "right" woods.

Thanks for the helpful advice, all.

Andy

Greenmando
Apr-21-2005, 1:31am
I will echo/add to JLP's reply, you will not be satisfied with a MK after playing a Flatiron especialy a Flatiron festival series. It's like driving a 1964 Volkswagon beetle after renting a 2005 Chevy truck.

Oh well, if you have a b**jo theres no talking to you! #yep, I have one of them as well.

calkan
Apr-27-2005, 9:22am
Due to the MK haters lurking out there, it is hard to get any kind of objective answer to your question, without the usual biting remarks. #Here is my reply to your question. #MK offers graduated options which are priced accordingly. #There is quite a difference between the Legacy Solid and the Legacy Elegante, from ebony radius fingerboard, gold hardware, bindings, etc. #But the price will reflect these options. #Obviously, the more "you" get, the more "you" pay. If you feel you need an ebony radiused fingerboard, you will be choosing a higher quality instrument with a price to match. #I would recommend playing and comparing your choices, whether MK, or other brands you choose. #Don't just buy because it is a pretty instrument...I have been there, done that. #The proof is in the playablity and sound. #Check out the MK site and follow the options to the instrument you are interested in. #Once you narrow your choices...chase down the instrument in a store near you and give it a try. Compare the MK against other brands and you will find the one that pleases "you". That will give you the best answer. #I've played great MK's, and poor MK's, as well as great Flatirons and poor Flatirons, great Gibsons, and poor Gibsons. #It is a very subjective search. "YOU" are the one that has to be pleased, not someone who thinks you should buy their favorite brand.

freddyu
May-13-2005, 7:59am
I am not an MK hater but am writing from my own experience. I just upgraded and I do mean upgraded from my starter MK legacy fs to a 2001 flatiron festival. There is absolutely no comparison and it is not even a subjective thing. The Flatiron is a professional instrument the MK is just that, a starter mandolin. Don't mean to flame anyone or start some MK war, but if you think that the sound of a MK and a Gibson flatiron are in anyway comparable, you simply don't know the sound of a good mandolin. Mandolins are priced differently for a very good reason....quality and sound. And there is a mandolin sound that musicians recognize as superior to other sounding mandolins.

Lane Pryce
May-13-2005, 8:20am
Hey Andy hows the Wynns working out for ya? Lp

Greenmando
May-13-2005, 10:03pm
I am not a MK hater either, just not impressed with the one I owned.

John Flynn
May-13-2005, 10:06pm
I don't hate MKs either, I just think one can generally do better for the money. They have good fit and finish and they play well. Unfortunately, I think they sound kind of dead when they are new. I have heard they open up, which would be redeeming.

steve in tampa
May-14-2005, 5:18am
The one I have had for almost a year is opening up well.
It is not polished and worshipped as a piece of art, it gets played indoors,outdoors, had plenty of campfire smoke on it, beer spilled on it, etc, and that is why it is sounding better.
The top end is coming along very nicely, sounding similar to some of the F5 Gibsons I have heard. The bottom end has a way to go, but its coming on.
It is a nice player. I really like the neck.