PDA

View Full Version : Eastman upgrade

ebhomey
Jul-06-2015, 4:11pm
Greetings
Just looking for opinions. I am well aware that there is no right for everyone. I'm almost convinced that I'm going to buy an Eastman mando. Until recently I was almost convinced that the 515 was the target. I love the matte look to the 315 more than the gloss of the 515. Any thoughts on buying a 315 and upgrading tailpiece, bridge and tuning pegs to match or surpass the 515.
Thanks in advance. See ya in targhee!:mandosmiley:

DataNick
Jul-06-2015, 4:44pm
ebhomey,

Congrats on your impending purchase!

Unless you're going to do the work yourself, parts & labor to have done what you want will be pretty close between the difference in retail of the md315 vs the md515. I used to own a very good md515 and have played a few md315s; I would just look for the best sounding/playing md515 I could find. But if a gloss finish versus satin/matte is a deal-killer, then go for the md315 and go the upgrade route. I don't know how long you've been playing, but invariably your ear & tastes change: that's why I personally would be wary of investing upgrade $$ in a mandolin that I probably won't keep all that long; but if you think you will.....

Decisions, decisions...

Good Luck!

Phil-D
Jul-06-2015, 4:47pm
I have a 315. For the price the sound is good. I asked the same question before I bought mine and was told the difference lies in the figure/ quality of the wood along with up graded tail piece and tuners. See if you can play them side by side to compare.

GKWilson
Jul-06-2015, 5:05pm
I played all the Eastman's at Wintergrass two years ago for a young lady
that was just starting to play, so she could hear them all.
I personally thought the 315's were easily the best sounding.
Maybe it was an exceptional batch. But, that's what I would have bought that day.
As did the young lady.
Play as many as you can and as Phil says try to compare them side by side if
at all possible. Good luck and have fun.
Gary

fatt-dad
Jul-06-2015, 7:17pm
the tuner, tailpiece and bridge aren't big players in the overall sound. Bridge fit is important. Otherwise, I really think the $15 buck stamped tailpiece is just fine. If wooden pegs kept it in tune, I think they'd be fine too. On my A3, I've gone back and forth between the original fixed bridge and an adjustable. I've stuck with the fixed bridge. Really, these hardware choices are usually just for convenience, style or such.

In my opinion. . .

f-d

allenhopkins
Jul-06-2015, 8:51pm
1. If you can play both a 315 and a 515, do a comparison and see if you think the 515's features -- which to some extent are cosmetic, as in more highly figured maple in the back and sides -- are worth the extra price.

2. "Upgrades" should make a difference in sound and playability. Reading a lot of posts here, I don't get the impression that a heavier tailpiece is a major factor in either. And tuners, if they work, are sound-and-playability-neutral as well; high-end tuners may seem smoother and look better, but I'm sure the 315's work fine with "stock" tuners. The bridge may well affect the sound, but I wouldn't a priori assume that the 315's bridge is inferior.

3. Relationship counselors tell us not to commit to another person, expecting to change him/her to be more like what we want. I have a somewhat similar take on instruments. I wouldn't buy a new instrument intending to spend a lot to upgrade it right off the bat; I'd play it for awhile, decide whether I was OK with it in terms of sound, playability, and appearance, and -- if not -- consider some modifications (or trading it in) at that point.

If you expect not to be satisfied with the 315, buy the 515, IMHO.

Espresso Geek
Jul-06-2015, 9:14pm
Greetings
Just looking for opinions. I am well aware that there is no right for everyone. I'm almost convinced that I'm going to buy an Eastman mando. Until recently I was almost convinced that the 515 was the target. I love the matte look to the 315 more than the gloss of the 515. Any thoughts on buying a 315 and upgrading tailpiece, bridge and tuning pegs to match or surpass the 515.
Thanks in advance. See ya in targhee!:mandosmiley:

Having only recently started playing mando, a acoustic guitar player of 40+ years, I found myself posed with the same question. MD315 or MD515? There really is very little difference in the two. Mostly cosmetic and some material differences like a rosewood fingerboard vs and ebony and a few other thins The leap in the price is due to that darn scroll !!! The other advice being given here by forum members is very sound. Tuners and what-not will not make a big difference, if any, in the tone coming out of your mando. You can achieve different tonal qualities more with the strings and picks you use IMHO. The 315 would be a great choice. If you are looking to get into a mando cheaper, then an A style is the way to go. Eastman has some very nice A-style reasonably priced. The A's are actually a great bargain for the price. I was lucky and got a great deal on the 515 at The Mandolin Store. For the price of a 315 plus$50 more, I got a beautiful 515. And man, it is a beauty and sounds amazing. A lot of that is due to the set-up. Great service at The Mandolin Store. Contact them and perhaps they can steer you in the right direction and help you narrow in on your mando. I wish you luck in your search!!!

darrylicshon
Jul-06-2015, 9:57pm
If you can play them then pick the best one if it is a 515 you can always refinish it to matte there are other threads talking about that do a search and read some