PDA

View Full Version : Gibson F-9

James S
Mar-02-2004, 11:39pm
Hey all,

I think it's time to update my current mandolin. I've been looking at the Gibson F-9 and it seems that people seem to love them. I had a couple of questions concerning this instrument:

Is it possible to get a Derrington signed F-9, or are these made by "lesser-known" builders at Gibson?

To those that own other mandolins in that price range, does their sound match the price tag aka do you get a great bang for your buck as compared to others?

What is a common asking price of a used F-9 is VG/EXC+ condition?

Thanks for all the help everyone. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

BigJoe
Mar-03-2004, 12:16am
As far as the answer to question #1, Danny Roberts signs all but the Master Models. He is, however, not a lesser known builder. Danny is one of the most incredible mandolin players in the world today. He used to have his own band called "New Tradition" and has been playing for a couple years with Ronnie Reno. He is one of the finest men I have ever known and knows mandolins as well as anyone. His signature does not indicate a lesser instrument in any way, shape, or fashion.

stopint
Mar-03-2004, 12:25am
i have had an f-9 for quite a while ... brilliant!

you can usually find one in these classifieds in the $1900 to $2100 range ...

Frank Russell
Mar-03-2004, 10:33am
mandohack has a nice F9 for sale in the Cafe Classifieds. I was going to get it, but I found a straight trade with another Cafe member instead. I didn't find anything under $1900 or so when I was shopping. Ted is well known here, and he's offering a price of under 2K, including shipping. No financial interest here, just like to deal with Cafe folks when I can. Frank

Mar-03-2004, 10:53am
Big Joe is right. A Danny Roberts signature does not mean a lesser builder. Danny is amazing and knows what a mandolin should sound like. I have seen used F-9's from 1500-1900 down here. A-9's from $850-1000

Bowzette
Mar-03-2004, 11:11am
bougth a used F-9 last week and I'm really impressed
with the tone, volume, and chop. A great buy for what
I paid. I have a Phoenix Bluegrass, and have had Rigel A+
Breedlove Cascade, and Gibson A from the teens. The F-9
has a very impressive sound for the price. I assume the A-9
sound like the F. It is my understanding the body size is
the same as is the construction. The sound is as good as
the Phoenix, just different.

Mar-03-2004, 11:19am
"The sound is as good as the Phoenix, just different. "

I demand a clarification of that statement........as I adjust my rangefinder & bomb sights........... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

KevinM
Mar-03-2004, 11:22am
Not to harp on this but the same or less money I'd look hard at a used Nashville built Flatiron Festival F. It has the same Loar dimensional specs, top binding, fret dots, nicely flamed maple, and a thin dark red sunburst lacquer finish - I've played both, own a NFFF and think highly of it. It is very comparable, IMHO, to an F5G. They seems to be undervalued and trade for less than the F-9. Just a thought if you are looking for most "Gibson sound" bang for the buck.

Bowzette
Mar-03-2004, 11:56am
Easy Dale or I will post the pics of you in bed with
your F-9-its peghead resting on your pillow!