PDA

View Full Version : Some mandothingies from most recent batch

Dave Cohen
Jun-29-2015, 9:10pm
I shipped some of these out today. It is a big batch (7), & has taken me a while. I'll start with a mandocello. This body is 15.25" wide, w/ a 25.0" scale length. The top plate has quite a bit of figure for Engelmann.

Dave Cohen
Jun-29-2015, 9:20pm
Now, a demo F mandolin that I almost didn't bother to complete. The back/sides/neck are birdseye maple. Very dense, ca 0.78 g/cm3, about like some rosewoods. When I got around to measuring the density, I thought the mandolin would be a dog. Made the back plate very thin, CF neck reinforcement, no truss rod, headstock is hollowed out to reduce mass, etc. Top plate is a piece of "Sullivan Stash" redwood, very low density (ca 0.3 g/cm3), but ringy. I got away with it for now, as it sounds fine.

Dave Cohen
Jun-29-2015, 9:27pm
Now, a mandolin more to my liking. This one is a demo "Classical A", w/ redwood top, big leaf maple back/sides/neck, macassar ebony fretboard, bridge, head plates, all trim. Has a 13.09" scale length. That redwood top is also very low density, but not very ringy. Most people would probably have thrown that piece of redwood away. Again, sounds fine.

Dave Cohen
Jun-29-2015, 9:32pm
This one is a commission, another classical mandolin, a two-point. Engelmann top plate, bigleaf maple back/sides/neck, African blackwood fretboard, bridge, head plate, all trim. Again, this one has the 13.09" scale length.

Dave Cohen
Jun-29-2015, 9:41pm
This one is another commission. Redwood top plate, Claro walnut back/sides/neck. This one has a 13.88" scale length. Ziricote fretboard, bridge, headplates, all trim. I foreshortened the body heel in order to get an extra fret's worth of upper fret access. The 13th fret is at the body crosspiece. 29 frets on the E (1st) string. This will do it for tonight. I have two more to rub out and set up. Maybe tomorrow night or the next.

Bill Snyder
Jun-29-2015, 11:38pm
Show off! :)
FWIW, that is a good thing.

Tavy
Jun-30-2015, 3:20am
My you have been busy! :) Got to love that 'cello!

DougC
Jun-30-2015, 9:50am
Just stunning Dave. And you can make any wood sing!

Clinton Johnson
Jun-30-2015, 2:31pm
Beutiful instruments Mr Cohen...wow factor going here!

Mark Levesque
Jun-30-2015, 3:27pm
Great work Dave! I'm looking forward to hearing one of them.

Skip Kelley
Jun-30-2015, 3:32pm
Dave, that is a fine batch of mandothingies!

sebastiaan56
Jul-01-2015, 4:17am
Serious, appreciative expletives. Way beautiful. I'm sure the sound as good as they look.

Londy
Jul-01-2015, 5:26am
Very nice indeed. I love the idea of hollowed out headstock to get more balance. How did that work out? I often wonder why some builders don't try to figure out how to balance a mando better. For example, in addition to what you did, why not have a weighted tailpiece? Anyhow, nice looking mandostuff there!

margora
Jul-02-2015, 12:53pm
Mine is the 4th above, the one with 29 frets on the E string. As one expects with Dave, very refined workmanship, superb sound and playability. A phenomenal instrument -- I am very pleased.

sgarrity
Jul-02-2015, 12:59pm
Really nice Dave. That 'cello is beautiful!

Dave Cohen
Jul-02-2015, 3:25pm
Two more commissions. This one is a two-point mandolin, w/ 13.88" scale length, redwood top, Claro walnut back/sides/neck, Macassar ebony trim, etc. Twelfth fret at the crosspiece.

Dave Cohen
Jul-02-2015, 3:36pm
This one puts the thingy in mandothingy. It is a multi-scale (aka "fanned fret") mandola/mandolin, CGDAE. The scale length for the low C (5th) string is 16.0" (~406 mm). The scale length for the high E (1st) string is 14.0" (~356 mm). I used my regular 2-point mandola body, but decreased the body depth. This is another one that I got away with. Works well as a mandola, and equally well as a mandolin. Redwood top, curly maple back/sides/neck, W. African ebony trim, etc. No truss rod; only cf composite neck reinforcement, as w/ most of my mandolins

tom.gibson
Jul-02-2015, 7:56pm
That's a really marvellous bunch of instruments. 'Mandobeauties' would be more appropriate.

I'd love to hear the five-course 'thingy' over its full range. It's something I'd like to have a shot at making one day. If I'm right in assuming you reduced your normal mandola body volume slightly to help the upper part of the range, does the C string suffer from that at all?

fatt-dad
Jul-02-2015, 10:39pm
Those I played were great! The, "Thingy" wasn't strung though. . . I think I'da liked it!

f-d