PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a fully adjustable A style strap?

kingebeneezer
Jun-26-2015, 9:51am
Where I live mandolin strap selection is slim to none. Still on the hunt myself for a fully adjustable A strap, curious if anyone has any suggestions on one.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-27-2015, 2:34am
You need to specify a few things here. 1) Where are you going to attach the strap ?. To the headstock,a loop under the fingerboard extension or using a strap pin screwed into the neck ?. 2) What do you mean by fully adjustable ?. Simply adjustable in length ?.
Adjusting the length is usually done by having say,3 endpin holes that you can choose to use to attact the strap at that end,the other end will be 'fixed' of course. If you can get hold of a 72" length of thin leather about 1/2" wide,it's easy enough to make your own strap as i did for my own "A" style.
I made the loop under the fingerboard & secured it with round leather cord,threw the strap over my shoulder & back,held it to the end pin & cut it to length. I punched a 3/16" hole in the end,made the slot & it was done - 15 minutes & at a cost of £3 UK ($4.50 US). For adjustment,make more endpin holes,
Ivan ;)

LongBlackVeil
Jun-27-2015, 9:16am
I use these, tied under the fb extension like Ivan mentions. I just love the design, adjustable at both ends.

http://www.mandolinstrapsofmontana.net/411052692

Photo courtesy Doc Holiday

CES
Jun-27-2015, 11:53am
Check out Lakota Leathers and Big Softy.

I like Ivan's approach above, but I was even cheaper...braided my own out of small diameter nylon rope/chord I got at Lowes. High tensil strength climbing chord would be even better (and more colorful), but more expensive. Braided it tightly right around my end pin, so it's not going anywhere. Could adjust at that end if I wanted, but instead attached to peghead with a single piece of chord run through the strap like in Ivan's example above. I haven't needed to adjust it, but if I did that would be the easiest way to do so.

Of course, I know a couple fellas who just use a nylon boot lace...

mandroid
Jun-27-2015, 12:55pm
I tied a knot on the ends of a cord and made a Loop thru a spring loaded cord toggle .

infinitely adjustable extra looped cord is behind me..

Once I figured how long a strap I needed I bought a Neotech for my Mix A5.

kingebeneezer
Jun-27-2015, 5:30pm
You need to specify a few things here. 1) Where are you going to attach the strap ?. To the headstock,a loop under the fingerboard extension or using a strap pin screwed into the neck ?. 2) What do you mean by fully adjustable ?. Simply adjustable in length ?.
Adjusting the length is usually done by having say,3 endpin holes that you can choose to use to attact the strap at that end,the other end will be 'fixed' of course. If you can get hold of a 72" length of thin leather about 1/2" wide,it's easy enough to make your own strap as i did for my own "A" style.
I made the loop under the fingerboard & secured it with round leather cord,threw the strap over my shoulder & back,held it to the end pin & cut it to length. I punched a 3/16" hole in the end,made the slot & it was done - 15 minutes & at a cost of £3 UK ($4.50 US). For adjustment,make more endpin holes,
Ivan ;)

Sorry about the vagueness ha. I was actually looking through your post about straps before I posted this. I was wanting to try under the fret board extension after I saw your A style so I tried it with the strap I have now but I kept having to readjust, mandolin kept trying to go more horizontal. Could be my strap though and the fret board isn't extended by much, it's a Kentucky km500. And yes by full adjustable I mean in length. I have 4 end pins to choose from, I tried punching a hole where I felt I needed it to be but I botched it :/ I've been leaning towards making my own, seems like the route I'll end up doing. Probably make two different ones, one to go under the fret extension and one for the head stock. Thanks for the tips.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-28-2015, 2:29am
Hi King - Any mandolin will tip nosedown due to the weight of the neck,& i don't think that there's any foolproof way of attaching a strap to prevent it happening. Personally,i don't know many mandolin players who attach a strap to the headstock,it is done,but ''not by many'' i think. It looks very cumbersome & anyway,i prefer to hold the neck on mine to keep it out of any danger. Tipping downwards is the least of it !.The way i show above & as LBV uses,is possibly the most simple way of attaching a strap & having the mandolin weight hang straight downwards. It's about as close to the way an F style strap acts - & their necks nosedive as well,that's what mandolins do,
Ivan;)