PDA

View Full Version : Cafe hat signatures?

Drew Egerton
Jun-26-2015, 9:20am
Hi everyone, just curious if anybody else has done this before.
Through some odd timing and miscommunication I wound up getting 2 Mandolin Café hats recently, one for myself and one as a gift. No problem since I am rough on hats, if I don't lose them.

I had the idea though that I would get some of my favorite mandolin players to autograph one hat and leave it in good relatively unworn shape, while wearing out the other. Has anybody got their hat signed? Just curious who all might be on yours.

Coming up on July 3rd in Morganton, NC I have the chance to see Alan Bibey, Adam Steffey and Ronnie McCoury all in the same day! They are 3 of about 5 or 6 I can think of that I really want to put on it.

Timbofood
Jun-26-2015, 9:33am
I had Jim,Jesse,Ralph, and Bill sign the lining in one of my old cowboy hats.
I was working with a really nice guy from Colombia and when he went back, I gave him the hat! He thought the music was really cool but, never had heard it before.
Signatures are fun and easy to collect. Why not?

jaycat
Jun-26-2015, 10:25am
Anytime, just send it over. I have my sharpee at the ready.

journeybear
Jun-26-2015, 11:06am
Just once. Back in the day, when The Kendalls were a hot country act (especially Jeannie :whistling: ), I saw them at a festival. I went up after their set and chatted with them a bit. I didn't have anything for them to sign but my cap - which, at the time, was a red Beech-Nut chewing tobacco one. (There's a reason for that, which made sense at the time, and now I forget.) They were kind enough to oblige. Wish I knew whatever happened to that hat. :confused:

Drew Egerton
Jun-26-2015, 1:34pm
Just once. Back in the day, when The Kendalls were a hot country act (especially Jeannie :whistling: ), I saw them at a festival. I went up after their set and chatted with them a bit. I didn't have anything for them to sign but my cap - which, at the time, was a red Beech-Nut chewing tobacco one. (There's a reason for that, which made sense at the time, and now I forget.) They were kind enough to oblige. Wish I knew whatever happened to that hat. :confused:

Sounds like a few years back when my parents and I went to see Doc Watson and David Holt in Asheville. What a great show!
During the show, Doc played a Kris Kristofferson song (don't recall which) and said he wanted to dedicate it to a friend that was there backstage. Well, turns out it was Kris and he was hanging out with Doc and David at the autograph table afterwards. My dad has always been a huge fan of Kris'.
I had a CD for Doc and David to sign but all dad had was the Jimmy Buffet hat he was wearing, which he got all 3 gentlemen to sign. Pretty cool memory to have.

Phil Goodson
Jun-26-2015, 11:17pm
No signed caps (well, except for the original Red Molly group), but my mando gig bag has a few signatures:

David Harvey
Roland White
Don Stiernberg
Radim Zenkl
John Moore
Alan Bibey
Barry Mitterhoff
Mike Compton
Jesse Brock
Emory Lester
Herschel Sizemore
Robin Bullock
Carlo Aonzo
Adam Steffey
Sharon Gilchrist
Mike Marshall

Londy
Jun-27-2015, 5:37am
Hi everyone, just curious if anybody else has done this before.
Through some odd timing and miscommunication I wound up getting 2 Mandolin Café hats recently, one for myself and one as a gift. No problem since I am rough on hats, if I don't lose them.

I had the idea though that I would get some of my favorite mandolin players to autograph one hat and leave it in good relatively unworn shape, while wearing out the other. Has anybody got their hat signed? Just curious who all might be on yours.

Coming up on July 3rd in Morganton, NC I have the chance to see Alan Bibey, Adam Steffey and Ronnie McCoury all in the same day! They are 3 of about 5 or 6 I can think of that I really want to put on it.

What event Is this? I am in Chaple Hill maybe I can go too :grin:

Rmach
Jun-27-2015, 7:51am
Its the red white & bluegrass festival up in morganton. Here is the link: http://WWW.redwhiteandbluegrassfestival.com

Hope to see you there!

Bill Clements
Jun-28-2015, 12:17pm
No signed caps (well, except for the original Red Molly group), but my mando gig bag has a few signatures:

David Harvey etc.

Nice! Show us a photo of that gig bag.
...curios to see Aonzo's signature.

Timbofood
Jun-28-2015, 7:47pm
Say Bill, are you in a cast?..........

fredfrank
Jun-28-2015, 9:30pm
Here's a project I started many years ago. I was going to take the top of this case off, and put it in a shadow box, but it has been hidden away in the basement for years.

zedmando
Jun-28-2015, 10:55pm
I've got a cap of my favorite CFL team recently to replace my old one--it was signed by three members of that team-1 was cut the week after I had it signed, the other was traded after that season, and the third was already retired, but had played for them when they won the CFL championship (The Grey Cup)--so they couldn't trade him or cut him.

Drew Egerton
Jul-06-2015, 7:52am
Friday at the Red, White and Bluegrass Festival in Morganton, NC was fantastic! A great set by Grasstowne, Lorraine Jordan and Carolina Road who also helped play with about 40 kids on various instruments (maybe about 8 or so mandolins) from the camp, Kenny and Amanda Smith Band, the Boxcars and Del McCoury Band. Greg Luck was filling in in Grasstowne on guitar so that was also a treat.

I was able to meet and get signatures from Alan Bibey, Adam Steffey and Ronnie McCoury and let them each know how influential they have been to my playing and how helpful their DVDs have been over the years. All 3 were super nice guys and fun to chat with.

Alan was playing a Loar and had it in a Hoffee carbon fiber case.
Adam was playing a Collings and said his Northfield was in the shop for some finish work.
Ronnie was playing "Old Red" his Gilchrist.

Here's a pic of my hat signed.

John Ritchhart
Jul-06-2015, 8:09am
Dang Phil, you never asked me to sign it.