PDA

View Full Version : new one today:

legendarytones
Apr-18-2005, 4:35pm
Just got a new Morgan Monroe MMS-5 today. Scooped out the figerboard extension, put a set of J-74's on it, set the bridge. And it is a pretty doggone good sounding music box for the money. Has some very high figured curly maple back and rims. Notes very nice. I'm impressed. A lifetime warrantry. This mandolin is just going to get better. They had two at the store I got it from. This one was way better than the other. All I got to do now is pick the tar out of it, which I will start tonight. I can't see any short cuts on the workmanship of this instrument. Happy picking!

Flatpick
Apr-18-2005, 5:24pm
Excellent. Good for you. There are some nice mandolins out there that don't cost the price of a good used car.

Enjoy my friend and God Bless you and yours....

Flatpick http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Deathbound
Apr-18-2005, 6:37pm
Congrats legendarytones, sounds as if you won't get any sleep for a few nites. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

bigbike4
Apr-18-2005, 9:15pm
Congrats on the new Morgan-I own one of there Foggy Mt series Banjos and for the buck I do not think you can get a better instrument.

legendarytones
Apr-18-2005, 10:25pm
Bigbike, how does that banjo compare in sound to , say, a RB-250? Does it have a bell brass tone ring in it? I guess were safe discussing banjos here, maybe wont nobody shoot us.

grant_eversoll
Apr-19-2005, 4:06pm
I own the MM3 and I have been telling you guys, the Morgan Monroe's are good mandolins

legendarytones
Apr-20-2005, 10:14am
update on the MMS-5. Well I been picking it every chance I get. Probably have put in about 10 hours since I got it on Monday. This is a good mandolin. I think it will eventually get up to snuff on everything I been looking for. It has already started to open up. I did one other modification. Filed the slots in the nut down a bit to make it easier to note at the first fret. This mandolin has a good sweet tone and has got a real decent bark to it. It is real mellow sounding in the G and D, and the trebles are bright. Going to pick in a band on Friday evening, will see how it stands up to the 5-string.

legendarytones
Apr-22-2005, 8:04am
update on this. I actually picked last night in a band. The MM-5 did great! No problem hearing it in a jam type atmosphere. No PA system, in a garage work shop. The banjo player had a 1925 Gibson which was "LOUD", but my mandolin could be heard on all accounts. Guitar player had a Martin D-28 Herringbone, I could be heard there also, the other ensemble consisted of a dobro, bass fiddle and fiddle. No problems of other folk hearing me, or me hearing myself. I really like this mandolin. Actually it is the best one I've ever owned.

flairbzzt
Apr-22-2005, 5:11pm
I had the same model and was very pleased. I'm looking for a slightly used mms-8 as a second mando now.