PDA

View Full Version : Song from my band the Dappled Grays new album

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-24-2015, 12:25pm
The Dappled Grays (my band) are releasing a new album in mid August. We have made a track available to stream early and I thought I would share. Somewhat progressive song called Where Do My Bluebird Fly? with a prominent mandolin solo. Hope you enjoy! Link fixed

https://soundcloud.com/mdsmithmando/where-do-my-bluebird-fly

bttahern
Jun-24-2015, 12:32pm
Mike-

The link did not bring me right there. Had to look up Dappled Grays on soundcloud....its excellent though. Great lyrics and great picking. Can't wait to hear the whole album.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-24-2015, 12:35pm
I fixed the link I think. Thanks, appreciate you listening.

terzinator
Jun-24-2015, 12:39pm
Brilliant stuff, Mike. Thank you for sharing that.

Jackgaryk
Jun-24-2015, 1:05pm
that was some mighty fine pickin there mike. thanks.

John Duncan
Jun-24-2015, 1:07pm
Sounds great Michael. I've always dug your picking. Hope to jam with you someday down the line again.

Eric F.
Jun-24-2015, 1:14pm
Nice!

AlanN
Jun-24-2015, 1:19pm
Terrific. Will your band be coming to IBMA Raleigh in the Fall?

Relio
Jun-24-2015, 2:37pm
Really excellent!

Michael Bridges
Jun-24-2015, 5:42pm
Excellent! Mando solo was outstanding, Mike.

Charles E.
Jun-24-2015, 6:55pm
Great sound! I was really digging the bass player at the opening and then the whole thing opened up. Mighty fine picking and singing from all.

barry
Jun-24-2015, 7:53pm
Wow. I thought that was superb all the way around.

Alan Lackey
Jun-24-2015, 9:45pm
Dang that is good Mike. I loved Doin My Job and this one is really nice. Would that I ever learn to play a fraction that well I would be happy. Thanks for making great music.

OldSausage
Jun-24-2015, 11:15pm
That's wonderful Mike, and Leah sounds fantastic on that track. Who wrote the song?

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-25-2015, 2:37am
Terrific !. As sweet as can be.Nice clean pickin',a lovely melody & voice to go along with it. I really love to hear music like that as long as the solos don't get over complex & lose the meody line - which in this case didn't happen. Really excellent,:grin: The big question - where can we buy the album ?,
Ivan;)

Franc Homier Lieu
Jun-25-2015, 4:42am
Love this track. I am a huge Tallest Man On Earth fan, and your band does a very fine job building upon the sparse arrangement of the original. Kristian Matsson's first few albums are a gold mine of great songs with minimal instrumentation just waiting to be covered with a larger palette of acoustic instrumentation.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-25-2015, 5:04am
Thanks for the nice words everyone! Yes, the writer on this one goes by the stage name the tallest man on earth. We've been doing this song live for years. Most of the record is original, there are three covers and 8 originals. Not sure about IBMA this year, but definitely next year as the album will be up for consideration at IBMA next year. It will be available to buy in mid august but I'm going to put some more tracks on here as we get closer.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-25-2015, 5:06am
Franc, I agree on the writer. The next song I'm planning on doing is the wild hunt. Love that song and his material is pretty cool in a bluegrass context to me.

Franc Homier Lieu
Jun-25-2015, 5:23am
Franc, I agree on the writer. The next song I'm planning on doing is the wild hunt. Love that song and his material is pretty cool in a bluegrass context to me.

Yep, a friend turned me on the The Wild Hunt when it came out. That album changed my life. And I just noticed that in WDMBF he uses the phrase 'high and lonesome'! I agree about the fit with bluegrass. Although sparse, so many of his songs have a really driving sound to them, the sort of energy that BG is obviously equipped to handle.

JCook
Jun-25-2015, 10:24am
What a fantastic sound you folks have! I love this style of music and you do it well. Great solos all around, and I love the vocals. I will love hearing more!

Jack

Will Kimble
Jun-25-2015, 10:57am
Super, loved it!

FLATROCK HILL
Jun-25-2015, 5:50pm
I had trouble with the link yesterday. Glad I tried it again.
That was fantastic. Every thing about that recording was top-notch professional. And the mandolin playing was flawless. I guess I'd expect nothing less though. IIRC, you're the mojo-man who can transform an average mandolin into a monster over the weekend!

Don Grieser
Jun-25-2015, 6:34pm
Sounds wonderful on every level--playing, arrangement, singing, recording quality, etc. Congrats! and thanks for sharing!

Heiden?

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-26-2015, 7:07am
Don, Thanks. This recording was pre-Heiden for me. I played a 1994 Randy Wood F5 for this project, which I always felt recorded pretty darn well.

Ky Slim
Jun-27-2015, 11:17am
Great Stuff! Is "the tallest man on earth" also responsible for The Long Waltz Home?

TheOne-N-OnlyHomer
Jun-27-2015, 12:18pm
Yeah that's awesome, I'm finding the more non-mainstream music I hear the more I can't stand mainstream stuff, lol.

Michael Bridges
Jun-27-2015, 4:29pm
Michael, be sure to let everybody know when it's available for purchase/download. It's going right on my playlist!

keithb
Jun-29-2015, 12:23pm
I've been listening to this one a lot over the past few days - really looking forward to hearing the whole album!

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-29-2015, 8:08pm
KY Slim, no our guitarist Casey Cook wrote the Long Waltz Home.

Josh Levine
Jun-29-2015, 8:14pm
Yes, this is great. Can't wait for the whole album.

Ausdoerrt
Oct-23-2015, 9:13am
That Tom Waits cover (on Soundcloud) is fantastic. Keep up the good work!

Josh Levine
Aug-02-2016, 9:05pm
Mike,

I finally bought your album on iTunes after listening to it on and off on Soundcloud. It is such quality original music. I really love this album and have been listening to it alot. Her voice is perfect and unique and the playing is so tasteful. So glad to have this on my phone to listen to whenever I want.

Paul Hird
Aug-03-2016, 5:02pm
Great Sound!