PDA

View Full Version : John Cowan

Dfyngravity
Apr-18-2005, 9:03am
I just saw John play here in Ashland, Va and let me tell you it was nothing short of amazing. I saw him alomst a year ago down at Browns Is. in Richmond, Va just after Wayne joined the band. They are five times better now. If you didn't know, John had lost his voice just a little while ago. He was listening to his ipod and went to sing and nothing happened. He could talk but he couldn't sing. The doctors told him he may never sing again but with a lot of work with a voice coach and lots of praying his voice came back. And it came back stronger, which many of you know his voice was killer to begin with. Now he has a new line up and they are playing almost all bluegrass. It's just fantastic and if you see that John will be playing near you I would not miss the opportunity.

GVD
Apr-18-2005, 9:29am
If you didn't know, John had lost his voice just a little while ago

IMO that would be the best time to see the John Cowan band. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

GVD

Klaus Wutscher
Apr-18-2005, 9:35am
Glad to hear that you liked the show. I saw him at last years IBMA and he was one of the few acts that really exicted me; donīt get me wrong all bands there were great and the playing was top notch but few really grabbed me on an emotional level and he was one of them. I still felt that the full potential of the band was not yet developed but still, what a show (and what a voice)!

keith_rowan
Apr-18-2005, 12:10pm
we were lucky enough to catch John Cowan last year at Nelson Ledges Quarry Park, Vassar was playing with him as was Noam P. (the banjo player from Leftover Salmon).. great show

k

steve in tampa
Apr-18-2005, 1:21pm
Just saw them 2 weeks ago, and it was great. They did 2 sets. John is a consummate professional, and a true bandleader.
When a car alarm went off in the campground very close to the stage, he got in time with it and finshed the song like it never happened.

boatman
Apr-18-2005, 5:02pm
Yeah, that boy could sing the weather report and it would come out sounding real nice!

mingusb1
Apr-18-2005, 6:12pm
I "heard" him at a festival last fall. #He was on stage, I was out in the campground. #From there it was awfully loud!

Z

mando bandage
Apr-18-2005, 10:00pm
Had the pleasure of hearing/seeing Mr. Cowan and his band at Telluride 2 years ago (pre-Wayne, doggone it), and that performance made a beliver out of me. Cowan's voice has an amazing range, can fill up a canyon, and he does it all while doing some very competent bass work.

R