PDA

View Full Version : Chris Thile transcription - Farewall Blues

Jesper
Jun-19-2015, 8:50am
Have some fun with this amazing Chris Thile solo.

Have a nice weekend!
- Jesper Rübner-Petersen

Jesper
Jun-19-2015, 8:52am
That's the one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsoW5CnPNJY

Willie Poole
Jun-19-2015, 10:25am
That is one of my favorite songs, I just don`t put in all of the notes that Chris puts in, I learned the song from Flatt and Scruggs,

I had heard that Earl adapted it from some classical song....Maybe I will look it up just see....

doc holiday
Jun-20-2015, 8:37am
That is one of my favorite songs, I just don`t put in all of the notes that Chris puts in, I learned the song from Flatt and Scruggs,

I had heard that Earl adapted it from some classical song....Maybe I will look it up just see....

Farewell Blues is a common jazz standard, apparently written in 1922....~o)

Willie Poole
Jun-20-2015, 10:44am
Thanks Doc, The point I was trying to make is that it isn`t a song that Earl Scruggs wrote like a lot of people believed.....

I have a friend that was learning to play the banjo and she moved to California and I told her that when I seen her at a festival the next time she had better be able to play "Farewell Blues", she couldn`t though but she did give it a good try...

Willie

CavScout
Jul-11-2015, 2:09pm
Thx Jesper! And btw...I love your book. Really a big help in learning improv.

CES
Jul-11-2015, 9:34pm
Thanks, Jesper!

And, I CAN't put in all the notes that Chris does, lol...at least not yet!!

ralph johansson
Jul-12-2015, 12:49am
Farewell Blues is a common jazz standard, apparently written in 1922....~o)

Recorded by many bands, but originally done by the New Orleans Rhythm Kings, like Bugle Call Rag and Milenburg Joys (although Bill Monroe learned his version from the Hoosier Hotshots). I insist on hearing a dim chord in the 12th bar, and that's what I hear in Clayton McMichen's version from 1937 (in the key of B flat; bluegrassers do it in C).