PDA

View Full Version : What a Virzi looks like

Teak
Jun-18-2015, 6:55pm
I know that most of you have seen a Virzi, but Mike Black just sent me a couple of photos of my A2Z in production. Here is a great shot of the sides and sound board, turned upside down so that the Virzi is visible.

And yes, I DO have a financial interest. I am paying for this great-looking mandolin.

Teak135566

David Lewis
Jun-18-2015, 7:48pm
Wow! And it's supposed to make the sound mellower?

But thank you for posting. A great picture!

Jeff Hildreth
Jun-18-2015, 7:56pm
The VIRZI seems to be offset to the bass side of the centerline.. is that traditional ?

pheffernan
Jun-19-2015, 7:09am
Wow! And it's supposed to make the sound mellower?

Opinions differ. Mike Black usually associates them with focus and projection, which are redundant on a mandolin with f-holes but have distinct benefits when added to a mandolin with an oval hole. Here's a video that he made of a pair of ovals, both with and without a Virzi: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=880594845318327

Mike Black
Jun-19-2015, 1:35pm
The VIRZI seems to be offset to the bass side of the centerline.. is that traditional ?

Yes.

Mandoborg
Jun-19-2015, 4:58pm
Mike, can you explain the benefits of having it offset like that ???

Jim

sunburst
Jun-19-2015, 5:35pm
Mike, can you explain the benefits of having it offset like that ???

Jim

:popcorn:

David Lewis
Jun-19-2015, 7:14pm
Opinions differ. Mike Black usually associates them with focus and projection, which are redundant on a mandolin with f-holes but have distinct benefits when added to a mandolin with an oval hole. Here's a video that he made of a pair of ovals, both with and without a Virzi: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=880594845318327

Redundant on an f-hole. Hence Monroe removed his?

pheffernan
Jun-19-2015, 8:10pm

You don't see many Virzi tone producers on 1923 Loars from what I understand, but Mike Marshall removed the Virzi from his 1924 Loar.

Bertram Henze
Jun-20-2015, 12:21am
It looks like a tiny f-hole mandolin inside an oval-hole mandolin. Both are A-style here - do Virzis in F-style mandolins have scrolls? :grin: (ducking and running)

David Lewis
Jun-21-2015, 2:46am
It looks like a tiny f-hole mandolin inside an oval-hole mandolin. Both are A-style here - do Virzis in F-style mandolins have scrolls? :grin: (ducking and running)

If they did have scrolls they'd only be a thousand dollar strap hanger *also ducks and hides. Remembers he plays an f-style*

Hendrik Ahrend
Jun-21-2015, 3:02am

None of Monroe's two Loars ever had a Virzi.

Teak
Jun-21-2015, 8:13am
If they did have scrolls they'd only be a thousand dollar strap hanger *also ducks and hides. Remembers he plays an f-style*

That was what I was thinking. Not that the scroll on the Virzi could be used as a strap hanger, but that the Virzi scroll would double the price of the mandolin.