PDA

View Full Version : My new AX. Or, Sorensen does something almost pointless.

Steve Sorensen
Jun-17-2015, 6:35pm
So, I was hanging out with Shaun Garrity comparing his Heiden A and the new Sorensen FX . . . and I started thinking, the basic FX design could get honed down to a very pretty A-style.

I got out the pencil and paper and started lopping off points from the FX design and ended up with a new design which I'm excited to share (and build).

The prototype AX has an Englemann Spruce top, Red Maple back sides and neck, and 3-D Bubinga binding.

I'll be taking this mandolin (in the white) up to Grass Valley this weekend. If you'll be at the festival, please come take a peek and a pick and tell me what you think!

Here's a preview of the AX --

Steve

pheffernan
Jun-17-2015, 6:54pm
Price tag and PayPal please? :grin:

juneman
Jun-18-2015, 7:35am
Hi STEVE, you never cease to AMAZE!! looking forward to visiting at IBMA.

WALTER
"JUNE " mandolins and guitars

tree
Jun-18-2015, 7:43am
What strikes me immediately is how evenly the strings are spaced behind the nut, giving pretty much a straight (maybe more accurately, parallel) pull to each tuner.

Nice inlay too . . .

spufman
Jun-18-2015, 8:36am
Time and again I'm left thinking, your instruments are exquisite works of art. I have no doubt they play and sound wonderfully as well.

Ron McMillan
Jun-18-2015, 9:03am
That beautiful new headstock design will take care of my need for a new computer wallpaper image for at least a few weeks. Thanks.

Skip Kelley
Jun-18-2015, 9:30am
Steve, thats just too cool!! I love the design and especially the inlay!

GarY Nava
Jun-18-2015, 10:32am
Looking forward to to seeing all of it!
Cheers Gary

Grommet
Jun-19-2015, 1:15am
She sure looks fine!

Scott

Steve VandeWater
Jun-22-2015, 10:09am
I like that spear point headstock. Perfect for poking the banjo player in the ribs when he won't tone it down!
Seriously, it's very nice. I also cannot wait to see the rest of it.

Steve Sorensen
Jun-23-2015, 11:15am
Thanks for the kind feedback guys!

We brought the AX prototype (in the white) to Grass Valley Bluegrass festival last weekend for a little test drive. I'm hoping we got some good video . . . but until I have time dig through the files, here's a quick shot of Randy Torno picking on it at an impromptu jam outside the Luthiers Pavilion.

Steve

BeachMando
Jun-23-2015, 11:55am
Well, looks like I have a new goal to save towards...

That is a beauty.

dang
Jun-23-2015, 3:19pm
Very Nice!

For no apparent reason I want you to call it the Arrow and make the pick guard look like feathers on the arrow tail fletching.