PDA

View Full Version : looking for information about a mandolin banjo i just got

darrylicshon
Jun-15-2015, 1:56pm
Hi i just got this mandolin banjo it's in good shape i need to put a nut on it and a bridge which i have , i am not sure what kind of tailpiece belongs on it if anyone knows please let me know.
Plus if you know anything about this mandolin i would be glad to hear it. It has no markings except for the flowers on the resonator. Thanks in advance.

darrylicshon
Jun-15-2015, 1:59pm
More photos sorry for the sideways photos

allenhopkins
Jun-15-2015, 4:33pm
Guessing: the headstock shape looks a bit like a Stromberg-Voisinet (predecessor of Kay). I can't find an S-V mandolin-banjo, but there are a few ukulele-banjos on Google that have a similar, though not identical, headstock shape. The resonator decal, resonator construction (how is the resonator attached -- just a "press fit," or are there attachment flanges, etc.?), and overall appearance suggest right around 1920 or so. Resonators came in during the early 20th century.

As to the tailpiece, normally mandolin-banjo tailpieces have a threaded shaft that goes through the bracket shoe directly opposite the neck, and is secured by a bracket nut similar to those on the other brackets around the shell. The tailpiece itself hooks over the banjo rim, and usually has a cover, sometimes hinged, sometimes fully removable. Here's (http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/253001) a Banjo Hangout discussion of a broken tailpiece of this type, and a possible replacement, with pix.

Worst comes to worst, you can use a tenor banjo tailpiece and hook two strings to each of the four prongs. A bit of Google searching didn't turn up a source for new mandolin-banjo tailpieces, mostly only a few eBay postings, but more energetic pursuit might yield a current source for newer ones.

darrylicshon
Aug-22-2015, 3:07pm
Just got my tailpiece

just needs a little more setup , sand the bridge action still to high for me and a little at the nut the G string slots and it will be singing

darrylicshon
Sep-20-2015, 12:26pm
Looks like the mandolin may be made by Favilla Brothers Banjos, New York City. I say a headstock just like mine

darrylicshon
Sep-20-2015, 12:27pm

Willie Poole
Sep-20-2015, 6:57pm
If the neck on it adjustable you can raise it up instead of cutting the bridge down, I have seen some that had adjustable necks on them...I took one in years ago to do a set up and it was adjustable, it was an S.S. Stewart though...

Willie

DavidKOS
Sep-20-2015, 10:44pm
And there's the tension rod inside the banjo rim, that thing in the picture of the back, the rod with the adjustable nut. That also sets the neck angle and such.

Frankly any tailpiece that works is OK. Then you get the neck and skin as good as possible in terms of action, and then find/customize/make the right height bridge.

And is the neck flat, as in not warped?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=135327&d=1434394735

Both ends of the rod are rusted, but the rod and neck set screw are there.