PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky KM-900 Recording

atbuckner21
Jun-02-2015, 11:43am
Hey everyone! I thought you guys might enjoy this track I used my KM-900 on a couple of weeks ago. Have a great day!:)
https://soundcloud.com/chriskey77/the-walk-home

George R. Lane
Jun-02-2015, 12:00pm
A very lovely song. The dobro overshadowed the mandolin but, still a lovey song. Do you have an album with that on it?

atbuckner21
Jun-02-2015, 12:09pm
We are working on an instrumental album. We have 3 other albums that I play mostly acoustic guitar on. Our website is steelbridgemusic.com :) Thanks!

samlyman
Jun-02-2015, 12:18pm
Nice sounding mandolin. I think that the Kentucky 900/950/1000/1050/1500's are about the best value out there today... sort of the Collings of Pacific Ridge mandolins in terms of consistency.

-Sam

Joey Anchors
Jun-02-2015, 12:27pm
Sounds very good! great work on the recording atbuckner21

OldSausage
Jun-02-2015, 1:07pm
Oh, hit that darn thing a bit harder. Very pretty, though.

atbuckner21
Jun-02-2015, 1:09pm
Oh, hit that darn thing a bit harder. Very pretty, though.

Thanks man!

OldSausage
Jun-02-2015, 1:12pm
No, it's not that so much, it's just like one of those tracks where all the instruments seem to be whispering, afraid to step forward and make a statement - do you know what I mean? I understand that's probably the feel you're going for, it just felt like it would be really great if there was a point in the song where the instruments all got into a higher gear, and I was frustrated that it never really got there.

Probably just me, though.

Resolve
Jun-02-2015, 2:57pm
Ooooo THAT was so nice!!

atbuckner21
Jun-02-2015, 3:03pm
Ooooo THAT was so nice!!
Thanks so much!!!! :)

johnhgayjr
Jun-02-2015, 3:32pm
The mandolin sounds fantastic on there - as good as much more expensive mandos... The other instruments are great too. Great job playing and recording the music.

atbuckner21
Jun-02-2015, 4:39pm
The mandolin sounds fantastic on there - as good as much more expensive mandos... The other instruments are great too. Great job playing and recording the music.
Thank so much John!! :) I really love the quality of this mandolin.

9lbShellhamer
Jun-02-2015, 5:37pm
The KM 900 sounds great!

MandoPlayer
Jun-02-2015, 7:31pm
Beautiful song!

Londy
Jun-02-2015, 8:04pm
Really nice job guys. Good sound, good quality recording...very lovely indeed.

roysboy
Jun-02-2015, 8:52pm
A very lovely song. The dobro overshadowed the mandolin but, still a lovey song. Do you have an album with that on it?

I agree ...lovely piece of music and so well recorded . I also thought the dobro ( and the guitar ) seemed a tad louder than the mandolin ..or that perhaps the mandolin was just played a bit more gently ...or maybe too " deep in the well " ( reverb) ? Just nitpicks though ....the mandolin sounds gorgeous and the playing too . Nice work boys .

Baron Collins-Hill
Jun-02-2015, 9:09pm
Nice playing and recording! What were you micing the mando with, and could you give an overview of any processing done to it?

Thanks!
Baron

TEvans
Jun-02-2015, 9:13pm
Great playing! And great recording! Tones were on the money. Really enjoyed it!

atbuckner21
Jun-03-2015, 4:38pm
We used Mojave mic, with the new Cubase software. It has minimal processing, maybe a little compression and some reverb. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Nice playing and recording! What were you micing the mando with, and could you give an overview of any processing done to it?

Thanks!
Baron

atbuckner21
Jun-03-2015, 4:39pm
Thanks so much!!! :)
Great playing! And great recording! Tones were on the money. Really enjoyed it!

Randy Linam
Jun-04-2015, 5:41am
No, it's not that so much, it's just like one of those tracks where all the instruments seem to be whispering, afraid to step forward and make a statement - do you know what I mean? I understand that's probably the feel you're going for, it just felt like it would be really great if there was a point in the song where the instruments all got into a higher gear, and I was frustrated that it never really got there.

Probably just me, though.

Yep. It is just you, along with your love of hearing yourself (in this case reading) rattle off at the mouth. It's OK if you don't like the man's work. I don't like all music I hear, but unlike you I have the common courtesy of keeping my thoughts to myself and moving on. BTW - Did you ever learn to make a 4 finger G?

OldSausage
Jun-04-2015, 6:40am
Yep. It is just you, along with your love of hearing yourself (in this case reading) rattle off at the mouth. It's OK if you don't like the man's work. I don't like all music I hear, but unlike you I have the common courtesy of keeping my thoughts to myself and moving on. BTW - Did you ever learn to make a 4 finger G?

Yes, you're quite right. I'm very sorry, I shouldn't have gone into any of that. The OP did ask me to elaborate on my first post, but later edited their post so it no longer looked like they had asked. But still, it is my own fault, I shouldn't have answered, nor made the first comment. I do think it sounds great, anyway.

Clinton Johnson
Jun-04-2015, 6:59am
I've just listened to the clip and that was incredible IMO...just as smooth as silk bro..and relaxing. Awesome musicians and true artists

Johnny60
Jun-04-2015, 7:05am
That's a very, very pretty tune! The dobro sounds great and that KM 900 sounds just like one that I had the real pleasure of playing a few months ago.

Eric C.
Jun-04-2015, 7:12am

If I could play a quarter as good as Old Sausage, I wouldn't worry about a 4 finger G chord.

Original poster: Good stuff thanks for sharing!

Randy Linam
Jun-04-2015, 9:02am
Yes, you're quite right. I'm very sorry, I shouldn't have gone into any of that. The OP did ask me to elaborate on my first post, but later edited their post so it no longer looked like they had asked. But still, it is my own fault, I shouldn't have answered, nor made the first comment. I do think it sounds great, anyway.

OldSausage,

I apologize to you for my terse and sarcastic response, and I will not attempt to justify it. What I should have said is there are many of us who are simply attempting to make the most of our ability and what we have to work with, and as I'm sure you are aware even our best almost never turns out to everyone's liking. We should all be cognizant that even comments meant to be constructive can also hurt. Again, my sincere apology.

Randy

OldSausage
Jun-04-2015, 9:51am
OldSausage,

I apologize to you for my terse and sarcastic response, and I will not attempt to justify it. What I should have said is there are many of us who are simply attempting to make the most of our ability and what we have to work with, and as I'm sure you are aware even our best almost never turns out to everyone's liking. We should all be cognizant that even comments meant to be constructive can also hurt. Again, my sincere apology.

Randy

Thanks, Randy, I totally agree with you.

Hudmister
Jun-04-2015, 12:41pm
Just listened to The Walk Home and found it a sonic treat. That mandolin sure sounds nice. Regarding constructive criticism, I welcome it when it comes along and try not to let it upset my delicate sensibilities. Old Sausage is a talented player and an insightful resource. I feel I should send him a check for his videos which I have used to learn tunes. He is kind enough to position himself while playing so you can see both hands. I'm waiting for him to post Beaumont Rag so I can cop that one (hint).

Killian King
Jun-04-2015, 12:59pm
Very nice. Love the vibe.

OldSausage
Jun-04-2015, 1:04pm
Just listened to The Walk Home and found it a sonic treat. That mandolin sure sounds nice. Regarding constructive criticism, I welcome it when it comes along and try not to let it upset my delicate sensibilities. Old Sausage is a talented player and an insightful resource. I feel I should send him a check for his videos which I have used to learn tunes. He is kind enough to position himself while playing so you can see both hands. I'm waiting for him to post Beaumont Rag so I can cop that one (hint).

Thanks Hudmister. Actually I already did that one in my extensive back-catalog, 5 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS1h1byNpX8

Not my finest work, but there it is for what it's worth.

jaycat
Jun-04-2015, 1:12pm
Reminds me of something you might hear on a Ry Cooder soundtrack.

That's a big compliment, by the way.