PDA

View Full Version : D'Addario Exp74cm

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-01-2015, 8:51am
Finally tried these on my Heiden and I've got to say I really, really like them. Before I was using J74's, which I have used for years on many mandolins. The E and A courses are harder to play with more tension but I've been able to lower the action a decent amount on the treble side with no buzzing and it has helped that issue considerably while still having the pluses of the thicker strings. Definitely still experimenting with the action-hopefully can come down a little more still. Positives are more stable tuning and, more volume and for this mandolin, I think improved tone on those strings. I just did it so I have to see how it plays on a gig and at jam sessions-if it negatively affects my hands once I get out of a controlled environment like playing solo at home. Big, Big fan so far. Funny think is years ago I mixed J-74's and J75's to get that gauge combo, then I played GHS Silk and Steel which has 16 gauges on the A's, but finally decided that the mandolin I was using, a Randy Wood, was better with J74's. I'm coming around to the view that different mandolins work better with different gauges.

Bill Baldridge
Jun-01-2015, 8:55am
I'm coming around to the view that different mandolins work better with different gauges.

That has been my experience as well.

Benski
Jun-01-2015, 9:09pm
I'm a couple of weeks in on a set of the Exp74cm's on my Ellis F5 and I'm really loving them.

Mark Seale
Jun-02-2015, 8:55am
I put these on my Gilchrist and it was like adding a supercharger. It seems the top really responded to the additional tension.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-02-2015, 11:56am
Mark,
Mirrors my feelings big time.

Drew Egerton
Jun-03-2015, 7:39am
What's the best price you've seen on these so far? I'm interested to try a set but I'm not sure I'm $16+ interested. I have been back and forth for a few months now on whether I think the EXP74's are worth the extra cost v. the EJ74. Right now anyway, my opinion is no.

The way my hands corrode strings, even the EXPs don't seem to last that well. :redface:
I don't have the guts to try Steffey's WD-40 method.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-03-2015, 8:09am
$11 at juststrings.com and I believe shipping is free if your order is over $30.

9lbShellhamer
Jul-20-2015, 2:56pm
I just ordered from JustStrings and I'm excited to try the heavier gauge of the CM's as well. They were REALLY cheap! it was under $10 for the CM's! I ordered two sets of the CM's and two sets of the regular EXP74 in case I didn't love the CM's. I'm going to put them on my MT2 and my kentucky km950. Shipping was free over $30, and they also throw in a free headstock tuner if you mention it... Four sets of strings and a tuner for $42. I think that's a deal!

MysTiK PiKn
Jul-22-2015, 5:24am
Mike I can certainly relate to tweaking the action, and experimenting with that. I have been doing a lot of that - forever, it seems. Caution, it can become an obsession. I have gone through maximum low action with zero bridge height, and that was good for light playing mainly - and now I'm going to raise it for loud playing, and hopefully richer tone. I'm chasing a tone I hear on some recorded music; it may not be attainable; but I'm getting close with optimal settings. And I wonder if the Coating can make a difference.

Is there anything noticeable about the "Coating" - can you hear it, see it, feel it?
All the comments are about the tension; and that's quite interesting; but what about the coating?

These CM strings are interesting with the slight tension boost; especially with the comments so far.

Brad Sicotte
Jul-27-2015, 1:59pm
I'm looking forward to trying the CM's. I've flip flopped between EXP74's, 75's and have a set of the GHS on deck. EXP74s are the closest to what I like but that "A" string is a bit skinny.

I chew through strings like a beast too. EXP74's will last a few weeks under my hands at best and I'm also afraid of the WD-40 method. I wipe them down with a clean cloth and put on some fast fret sometimes after I play. That seems to help a little.

Benski
Jul-28-2015, 8:39pm
Two months in on the CM's on my Ellis F5. My string search is officially over...these CM's make the mando sing!
Brad: congrats on the Ellis.

Drew Egerton
Aug-06-2015, 9:51am
Thanks for reporting back Benski. I have been on a bit of a playing hiatus unfortunately for unrelated traveling but need to get back in shape asap for a couple of gigs this month. I think new strings are needed, so I'll finally put on the set of these CMs I bought and see how it goes. Maybe they will like my CT55 pick as well lol. I promise I don't buy things just because of Thile, but so far I do love that pick...hoping for the same result on the strings.

Ky Slim
Aug-06-2015, 10:48am
I'm on my second set of these. I'm not sure I actually had to change when I did but I wanted a fresh set for a festival. As with all strings these are bright sounding at first and due to the coating they seem to take a little longer to mellow. I think like the tone best after about 1-2 weeks of mellowing out. I've had this second set on for at least 2.5 months and they still hold tune and sound great.

Is there anything noticeable about the "Coating" - can you hear it, see it, feel it?
All the comments are about the tension; and that's quite interesting; but what about the coating?

I can't see the coating at on these CMs and they feel nice and slick but not near as slick as elixer to me.

As for hearing it the coating? I'm not sure if I understand what it would sound like... But I will say this: If my hands are dry or not a little sweaty (like when I first pick it up) I can hear slide squeak noises about as loud as any strings other than elixer. Once my hands slick up from playing for a few minutes the slide squeak seems to lessen and almost go away. This may be true of all strings and/or it might just be due to me loosening up and playing cleaner, but I think I noticed it more with these CMs.

John Hill
Aug-06-2015, 10:57am
On my first set of them. In general my BRW loves EXP's and beefier A & E strings so it's been a perfect match so far.

Brad Sicotte
Aug-06-2015, 12:38pm
Two months in on the CM's on my Ellis F5. My string search is officially over...these CM's make the mando sing!
Brad: congrats on the Ellis.

Thanks...The Ellis is just amazing to play. I might try the CM's in the future.

Don Grieser
Aug-06-2015, 8:21pm
Put a set on my Heiden A5 tonight. I like the tone on the A & E strings. Not sure I like the extra tension, but after adjusting the action, it's not very noticeable. We'll see how my left hand reacts after some time on them.

Don Grieser
Aug-07-2015, 5:15pm
Took off the A and E strings and replaced them with 15s and 11s. After playing them awhile, I didn't like what they did for tone and especially for playability.

Drew Egerton
Aug-27-2015, 12:34pm
I finally got around to putting a set of these on my Flatbush V4 today at lunch.
So far...I'm not sure. I don't think I'm crazy about the tone and might've even lost a little volume. Hard to tell of course.

I'll play them more tonight and then have a gig tomorrow and see how they are after that. Hoping I like the way the tone changes after a few hours of playing, otherwise I won't buy another set. I do like the gauge and in fact was using this gauge as a mix and match between J74 and J75s before.

Drew Egerton
Sep-10-2015, 1:45pm
I finally decided after a few days of playing that I actually do like these strings a lot. TBD if I like them enough to pay the price difference v. the regular uncoated strings. So far after a gig and a few other hours of playing, I am happy with the sound. The amount of corrosion is OK so far but they do have some discoloration. My hands are really hard on strings for whatever reason.

Bill Slovin
Sep-17-2015, 3:47pm
They are great strings. I have been using them on my Northfield MM for about 6 months now and the sound is great. Definitely the perfect blend of the J75s and J74s. I always liked the 75s but thought the G and D strings were just too darn heavy for my fingers. A few months prior to these strings becoming available, I was mixing the two sets to get the same gauge as the CMs (thanks to a Chris Thile interview I read here on the cafe).

Drew Egerton
Oct-23-2015, 8:49am
Well, I've had this set on for 2 months now. I didn't like the tone much at first, but it did 'improve' to my liking after a few days. I love the gauge and was also mixing 74s and 75s prior to this set. However, like the other sets of EXPs, they still don't seem to me to last much longer than the regulars without getting black corrosion at the bridge area where my hand brushes against. I do think the tone quality sustained longer on this set, but I believe I'm going to change them out soon as they are pretty cruddy on the end and I'm starting to fight the tuning a bit. To recap, I do like them pretty well, but I'm just not sure I like them enough to justify the extra cost over the uncoated. I'll put another set of regulars on next and see how I feel about it then.